Wingnut Wings is doing a Lancaster!

34 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah this was announced on FB too yesterday.  They are saying that the price will be upwards of $500. I think that might be a little high so I will wait and see. No interest for me though, too big.

I’m in the same boat but still, given WNW’s quality, this could be the best scale model.   Ever.  

I’ll have to simply be satisfied with watching others build this beast.   It’s not the cost for me, it’s the size. Another reason I’m excited is that previously, they said they were only doing WW1 subjects.  I hope they continue to release more WW2 kits ( I hate rigging).  

29 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I’m in the same boat but still, given WNW’s quality, this could be the best scale model.   Ever.  

I’ll have to simply be satisfied with watching others build this beast.   It’s not the cost for me, it’s the size. Another reason I’m excited is that previously, they said they were only doing WW1 subjects.  I hope they continue to release more WW2 kits ( I hate rigging).  

Yeah too big for me too, price and size. Since my scale is typically 1/48th no need to go that 1/32nd route even though this should be the ultimate Lancaster model made (I would think so considering the source). As we all know the reputation that WNW has with their WWI releases can we expect anything less with this one? Doubt it.

As for future releases I would think this is it as it is a great tie in to the future movie PJ is doing. Maybe some more Lancaster variants? That would make sense to maximize the moulds. WNW will probably let others fight it out with the other types in WWII and happily continue with their WWI line and be the king there. Well my thoughts really.

Whoa I'd love one but there's no way I could personally justify $500 on a model kit. I am sure though that it will be a stellar kit and those that do get it will really enjoy it.

Regards,

Don

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, 11bee said:

After telling the world they will only do WW1 subjects, they just announced a 32nd scale Lancaster.    I’m speechless.  And Happy.  

…...now, if only Jackson would finish that damn Dambusters movie...…..

9 hours ago, Steve N said:

I wonder how this will compare to the forthcoming HK 1/32 Lanc?

SN

It will probably be better in my opinion. Having seen the HK built up in the show pics, it looks to me like the nose in front of the canopy is too long and the wing chord is too short? Of course, this could just be camera angle?

HK are not my favourite manyfacturer as they dont seem to listen to the modeller.. just take the B-17g for instance.. we all told them about the issues with that, particularly the round noseand then when the released the F version they left it the same!!.OK, rant over.. the WNW will be a nicer kit with a more complete interior, better paint guide and nicer instructions.

Would I pay $500 for it.. yeah, seeing as the HK kit as nearly that much anyway.

I don't think that $500 is too far off. Some of WnW's larger WWI kits go for $250-$270ish range. The HK B-17 is over $300. A kit the size of the Lanc with the details their showing...whew...she's going to fetch a pretty penny. 

14 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

It will probably be better in my opinion. Having seen the HK built up in the show pics, it looks to me like the nose in front of the canopy is too long and the wing chord is too short? Of course, this could just be camera angle?

HK are not my favourite manyfacturer as they dont seem to listen to the modeller.. just take the B-17g for instance.. we all told them about the issues with that, particularly the round noseand then when the released the F version they left it the same!!.OK, rant over.. the WNW will be a nicer kit with a more complete interior, better paint guide and nicer instructions.

Would I pay $500 for it.. yeah, seeing as the HK kit as nearly that much anyway.

Looking at it from process engineering, I see at least an eight part wing, and probably the same crap or the fuselage.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, Johnopfor said:

…...now, if only Jackson would finish that damn Dambusters movie...…..

Well, it's possible that's the reason they decided to do this model. I mean they would have done a lot of research for the movie and likely did some CGI files for it (though hopefully not used for actual scenes but rather for interior set construction) so they'd have the information available for the model. That PLUS the fact that the movie could be an interest springboard for modelers that would be on the fence about buying it to maybe push them into the "have to have it" camp. That would also be a good explanation as to why they would decide to do a WWII aircraft, against what they previously said about being only WWI subjects. One could hope that the movie might be coming after all.

Bill

Edited by niart17
6 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Well, the HKM Lanc is EUR369 or $322. The WNW will be in excess of $400.

Given the quality of the WNW product, that's a pretty reasonable price.  Will be interesting to see what it actually retails at.  I've seen estimates as high as $1,000!

I can't wait to see the instructions published.  Also - I believe this is the first model kit to ever replicate the "oil can" look of stressed sheetmetal skin.   Typical WNW approach to the fine details of a subject.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Given the quality of the WNW product, that's a pretty reasonable price.  Will be interesting to see what it actually retails at.  I've seen estimates as high as $1,000!

I can't wait to see the instructions published.  Also - I believe this is the first model kit to ever replicate the "oil can" look of stressed sheetmetal skin.   Typical WNW approach to the fine details of a subject.

Airfix did stressed skin on their 1/24 Typhoon. I like it.

14 hours ago, 11bee said:

Yes, nut on some reviews they are of he opinion that it is overdone and unnatural. 

20 hours ago, niart17 said:

Well, it's possible that's the reason they decided to do this model. I mean they would have done a lot of research for the movie and likely did some CGI files for it (though hopefully not used for actual scenes but rather for interior set construction) so they'd have the information available for the model. That PLUS the fact that the movie could be an interest springboard for modelers that would be on the fence about buying it to maybe push them into the "have to have it" camp. That would also be a good explanation as to why they would decide to do a WWII aircraft, against what they previously said about being only WWI subjects. One could hope that the movie might be coming after all.

Bill

I've read elsewhere the film has apparently been shelved, probably for good, due to lack of financial backing or some such like.

----------------

From everything I have read, this is only a limited release kit in conjunction with Peter Jackson's 'Dambusters' movie. Also this is the only scale model kit they are going to produce outside of World War One subjects.