GWH Jumping on the 1/48 Tomcat Bandwagon?

There was first information regarding GWH Su-35 in the middle of August 2017, first sprues pictures we saw in September or at the beggining of October of 2017, the kit was available at the beggining of March 2018 if I remember correctly, so Tomcat should be available on February/March of 2019 I suppose.

I see this just a bit differently than Jeffrey does.

I am thinking about all the containers that will contain Tomcats in the near future. In 1/48th, and now another 1/72.

Since there will be so many companies with Tomcats out there, and so many total Tomcat models for sale at the same time, the prices will have to stay more in line with each other, and the older toolings will start showing up for sale from stashes as people "upgrade their collection."

Also, the more companies filling the shipping containers, the more chances there are to Kit-Bash the kits into great models. I am sure someone is going to kit-bash 4 different Tomcats and build a "best of show" out of those kits.

Of course, it also means that we are going to see more VF-84 Tomcats than VF-96 Phantoms at the shows one day. (might even catch up to VA-176 Skyraiders??)

But, at least Darren will stay busy casting stuff. 

Added,,,,,,,,oh and "oh joy", people will be able to build Final Countdown Tomcats until the F-35 is retired.

Edited by Rex
6 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

If GWH can do it faster and better then they're free to do so..not stepping on toes or trying to preserve feelings doesn't work in a competitive market 

The scale model market is a very small market in the grand scheme of things so not stepping on each others toes is actually not a bad idea...Producing kits is a hefty investment and I'd rather see companies x, y and z IN business than any of them out of business.

But perhaps I have a different view of the world... 😉

J

57 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

The scale model market is a very small market in the grand scheme of things so not stepping on each others toes is actually not a bad idea...Producing kits is a hefty investment and I'd rather see companies x, y and z IN business than any of them out of business.

But perhaps I have a different view of the world... 😉

J

Well, a couple of years ago I started a master for a 1/48 GRU-5 ejection seat and had a potential buyer for it.........then you released yours and the offer to release mine was respectfully rescinded. I wasn't angry (hell, I bought two sets of yours), but things like this happen. If no one "stepped on toes", there would only be ONE kit of each subject for us to choose from and we'd all be happy with our Italeri 1/48 SR-71's! 😄 😄  

32 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Well, a couple of years ago I started a master for a 1/48 GRU-5 ejection seat and had a potential buyer for it.........then you released yours and the offer to release mine was respectfully rescinded. I wasn't angry (hell, I bought two sets of yours), but things like this happen. If no one "stepped on toes", there would only be ONE kit of each subject for us to choose from and we'd all be happy with our Italeri 1/48 SR-71's! 😄 😄  

Oh, I'm sorry this happened - I really try to do stuff that's not being done elsewhere! As a one-man producer I just don't have to time to make things already available. Too many gaps that still need to be filled. Overlaps do happen sometimes, but I honestly try to avoid them when I decide on a project.

I do see your point about improvement - I'm all for innovation and improvement and was happy to see new F-14 kits from AMK and from Tamiya. A third one in such a short time space just seemed like a political rather than creative decision. But perhaps my first reaction was a bit too strong...

For the moment, modellers can be very happy with added choice, in particular given GWH's outstanding quality.

But will this help the market as a whole in the long run? As modellers make choices some mfs. will inevitably lose out and that's not because their product is bad.

I'm not a huge Tomcat fan and will buy perhaps ONE of those new kits and I'm sure many casual buyers will act in a similar way.

Anyway, enough of talking myself into a hole...

Cheers,

J

Edited by JeffreyK
20 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

The A-10 doesn't quite have the international name recognition and irrational loving fanbase the F-14 has...

Hey! Watch your mouth! Who are you calling irrational? I will go to great lengths to defend the best aircraft ever produced in the history of aviation. How dare you insult the billions of people who know the truth about the Tomcat......oh, I think I just proved your point. 😊

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Tamiya's kit has got rather average cockpit and wheels bay details, so I am sure that GWH make it much better.

I have to agree with Solo on this. I absolutely love the Tamiya kit, but it's because of the fit and engineering. In regards to detail, the Hobbyboss kit may actually have better detail in regards to the cockpit and wheel bays. Another area that it head-scratching about the Tamiya kit is the chaff/flare dispensers. They are simply raised circles. With that said, I'll build any Tomcat that gets released. It will be interesting to see if AMK and GWH can unseat the Tamiya kit for best Tomcat. It's hard to imagine, the Hasegawa kit, which used to be considered the gold standard, is going to drop down to fourth, or even fifth best, depending on what's important to you in a model. Who'd have thought that just five years ago?

20 hours ago, AnthonyWan said:

Image result for show me on this doll meme

Did we really just go there? "Rudeness"? This is business..."because we can", and because ours is gonna be that little bit better and because company X didn't do detail Y with their kit. There are no polite handshakes and participation medals for trying here. 

Tips hat to Tamiya...props for standing at the top, unchallenged...watching these guys fight for second place. 

LOL..  Right Click...  Save...  for your meme. 

It's amazing the amount of angst that is generated over issues like this.  Check out LSP, there is a 9 page thread (probably grown to much larger since I last checked) on the new WNW Lancaster.  It's filled with posts absolutely slagging WNW because apparently despite having been working on this project for the last 8 years, they are being mean to HK who is close to releasing the their own Lanc.    

I guess WNW should have dumped all that costly research and tooling in the interest of "fair play". 

Edited by 11bee
25 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Check out LSP, there is a 9 page thread (probably grown to much larger since I last checked) on the new WNW Lancaster.  It's filled with posts absolutely slagging WNW because apparently despite having been working on this project for the last 8 years, they are being mean to HK who is close to releasing the their own Lanc.    

I guess WNW should have dumped all that costly research and tooling in the interest of "fair play". 

Thanks for that! Made my morning coffee sipping so much more entertaining...LOL! Fifteen pages and counting...

Regards.

7 hours ago, 11bee said:

LOL..  Right Click...  Save...  for your meme. 

It's amazing the amount of angst that is generated over issues like this.  Check out LSP, there is a 9 page thread (probably grown to much larger since I last checked) on the new WNW Lancaster.  It's filled with posts absolutely slagging WNW because apparently despite having been working on this project for the last 8 years, they are being mean to HK who is close to releasing the their own Lanc.    

That was hilarious. It’s worse than children fighting over whether Xbox or PlayStation is better.

7 hours ago, 11bee said:

It's filled with posts absolutely slagging WNW because apparently despite having been working on this project for the last 8 years, they are being mean to HK who is close to releasing the their own Lanc.  

I've seen that on a few sites, and I'm mystified by it.  Not the fact that people are complaining about subject duplication (that's pretty standard), or that they feel bad that an upstart manufacturer is getting pipped at the post (compassion is understandable)...  But the fact that anyone is angry that WNW (of all manufacturers!) is releasing a kit that HK Models was doing?  Like, unless you're directly employed by them, who is that much of an HK Models stan?!?

2 hours ago, MoFo said:

I've seen that on a few sites, and I'm mystified by it.  Not the fact that people are complaining about subject duplication (that's pretty standard), or that they feel bad that an upstart manufacturer is getting pipped at the post (compassion is understandable)...  But the fact that anyone is angry that WNW (of all manufacturers!) is releasing a kit that HK Models was doing?  Like, unless you're directly employed by them, who is that much of an HK Models stan?!?

I hear you.  Last I knew WNW were the good guys in the industry, giving us awesome kits of unique subjects.

How quick one can go from hero to zero.  

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

I hear you.  Last I knew WNW were the good guys in the industry, giving us awesome kits of unique subjects.

How quick one can go from hero to zero.  

isn't HK models the company that got their start ripping a guy off for his B-25 cad?