Porsche 956 "Rothmans" 1982 Le Mans winner

This legendary Group C  Porsche is one of my favourite race cars ever - especially in these exact Rothmans colours. For many years they were virtually unbeatable and I vividly remember reading about them from our local motor sports magazine when I was a kid.

The early eighties with C group Porsches and Martini Lancias, group B 4x4 monsters in the rally world and the last naturally aspirated F-1 cars along with the first turbocharged ones certainly are my cup of tea when it comes to motor racing. 

This car was driven by a true super crew with such legendary names like Derek Bell and ex F-1 driver Jacky Ickx. They won the 1982 Le Mans after leading it right from the start. 

Tamiya's Porsche is a nice kit although I felt it needed some extra details for to be accurate enough. I had very short WIP here: 

Edited by janman

Since the kit has full engine details and detachable rear bodywork, there was no choice but to try to super-detail the engine bay. All the piping and wiring is scratch-built as are many smaller engine auxiliary parts. I added some links for the rear suspension and the very prominent rear brake cooling air ducts and their support structure.

The large outlets on the rear bodywork didn't have any details and lacked the very visible inner walls dividing the outlets into a one bigger and two smaller ducts. The drop-shaped side mirrors were not included with the kit so they were another scratched item. No details were provided for the windshield de-fogging system although it is very visible on both sides of the lower part of the windshield. They were made from thin decal strips.

The markings are from a "Studio 27" sheet while some PE parts come from Tamiya's aftermarket set. In my opinion most of them are quite superficial. The metallic exhausts and the antenna are very good additions though.

Here we go:

NjnPr4u.jpg

jBqG5IF.jpg

Edited by janman

Wow that is awesome looking. I remember watching these cars on television as my old man was obsessed with IMSA in it's glory days. Every Sunday there was no way we could watch morning cartoons as he would be VHS recording the races. Still has all of those tapes too.

Nice! :worship:   Just last week I picked that kit up, along with a Fujimi Ferrari 330 P4, for a good price. I'll take notes on your build like I have on Joel's 917, so I'll know what to expect when I get around to building it.

Cheers!

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Nice! :worship:   Just last week I picked that kit up, along with a Fujimi Ferrari 330 P4, for a good price. I'll take notes on your build like I have on Joel's 917, so I'll know what to expect when I get around to building it.

Cheers!

Ben

Oh, how long have I contemplated getting one! I will follow with great enthusiasm. Now if I remember it hasn't got full engine detail. Or has it..?

Even though this has, it's of course far from full. The only hose (or wiring, piping for that matter) detail it has is that short plastic part between the shiny intake manifolds. I added almost as much as I could see from the photos. Ignition coils too and some other smaller components. One of the last pretty major one I noticed was the gear linkage going from the back of the gearbox all the way into the cabin. 

Thank you, guys! I'm glad you liked it. 

Let's keep the good vibes we seem to have here at the moment. Once I'll get my aircraft kit (Trumpy's big Tupolev) ready I'll try to concentrate on my rally Lancia.

• 2 months later...