NAS Oceana 2018 Airshow

Last weekend I had the priveladge to travel out to NAS Oceana for the first time. I haven't shared any of my photos in here in a very long time.  Anyways, here some of my favorites from the weekend.  Enjoy!

David

31120478548_d480bb89eb_z.jpgVFA-106 Legacy CAG by D_Jackman, on Flickr

44081923025_f6f2551029_z.jpgSuperhornet high speeed pass by D_Jackman, on Flickr

31120480888_9c4936f921_z.jpgStrike Eagle special markings by D_Jackman, on Flickr

44081928115_2149f04887_z.jpgPax River P-3C Orion by D_Jackman, on Flickr

44944423502_bd93c368a3_z.jpgJolly Rogers by D_Jackman, on Flickr

44944427452_634753f812_z.jpgBeautiful Texan by D_Jackman, on Flickr

Here's another batch of pictures...

30057067307_999172d649_z.jpgBlacklions CAG by D_Jackman, on Flickr

44178928414_a7f70b98ae_z.jpgVFC-12 Splinter Adversary by D_Jackman, on Flickr

29962737187_4d3f365357_z.jpgVFC-12 'Red 12' by D_Jackman, on Flickr

30057066077_420c5ba029_z.jpggear up by D_Jackman, on Flickr

44944425512_c6f8535171_z.jpgBlue Blasters F-A-18C by D_Jackman, on Flickr

31120480228_e09050a44f_z.jpgVFA-105 Gunslingers w-buddy pod by D_Jackman, on Flickr

Sadly this show is a shell of it's former self. Oceana use to have one of, if not the best show, on the East Coast back in the day (early to mid 90's to @ 2005) They would get so many static aircraft that they would run out of room to park everything. It's a shame, especially since this was the 75th Anniversary show.

Steve

Yes Steve, even though I was happy to finally make it, and happy to see the Adversary Hornets (which was my main goal) I was disappointed in the statics. I can only assume the Hurricane had some impact on it, especially with rescue missions running out of Oceana by the guard just days before the show ?  I was disappoint nothing out of Norfolk was even on static. No MH-53's, no C-2s, E-2's, Seahawks, etc. I thought for sure the skydivers would jump from a C-2 or a Navy Helo, but no. Only 2 Legacy Hornets, and 2 Superhornets on static, when the hangers were jammed full, and loads more parked in the north 40.  Not sure what was up with that. 

Nevertheless, I was happy to go, got some nice swag, and was thankful the weather was nice.

David

Regarding a possible decline in interest, any thoughts why this is the case? Is this true across most airshows in the U.S. today? I personally have been to much fewer airshows as of late, but a close friend of mine here goes to pretty much all the shows. I haven't talked with him re level of general interest and attendance, partially because he is always super-excited and sees everything from his own lens unfortunately (so everything is rosy if you ask him). 

This is true of all airshows. Since 2011 things have been declining (although not as bad as 2013 when there were no teams and 2014 when no static displays were allowed at civilian shows).  Things have been getting better, but they aren't the same - the F-18 demo was only at 3 or 4 shows this year.  Just last weekend, the F-22 demo cancelled because of "operational requirements."  Even at shows like Nellis, which as a kind of Air Force "home" show has been immense, it's not quite the same.  They don't usually get the F-18 demo anymore, and they don't have the single AF demos that used to compliment the Thunderbirds (the show has also gone to alternate years).  At many civilian shows there are very few statics- maybe two -,there aren't as many fly-overs these days, and if the Thunderbirds are flying there won't be any other AF appearances. As for why: budget.  After the Budget Control Act of 2011 the Air Force started making cuts (followed by the full sequester disaster), now it seems that the services are just concentrating on getting higher percentages of aircraft mission-ready and airshow appearances can't be a priority

My two cents:

I went to Oceana this year too.  To me the Military airshows are not geared towards the "aviation fan" anymore.  They are geared towards the everyday person.  The only reason I went to the show was to see the Snow Birds. I did enjoy the military demos, but all the other stuff I've seen before.  I mean honestly, how many times do I have to watch that jet truck go up and down the runway.... Also, why do I want to wait 2 hour in traffic to get in and 2 hours to get out, then have to take out a small loan for sub par food that only makes you have to use the dirty port-o-johns?   I know it has its own issues, but to me Oshkosh will always be the mecca for airshows (at least here in the states). 

Like a lot of things in life, The Simpsons said it best: "airshow?... What kind of country-fried rube is still impressed by that?" 

82k0eukisowz.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Djack changed the title to NAS Oceana 2018 Airshow