well I got the second of the 2 tomcats done today. it is the Tamiya kit OOB. I had a lot of trouble getting the kit decals to settle down and conform, and the decals for the ordnance were very frustrating. some of the decals for the stripes on the sparrows are too short. there are a couple of things that I could have done better but I will just have to live with them.

overall I am happy with it. I will likely be doing another one as soon as I get my dirty mitts on the new Fightertown sheets.

DSC_0316-XL.jpg

DSC_0317-XL.jpg

DSC_0319-XL.jpg

DSC_0320-XL.jpg

DSC_0321-XL.jpg

DSC_0322-XL.jpg

DSC_0323-XL.jpg

DSC_0324-XL.jpg

DSC_0325-XL.jpg

4 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

I have to admit that your secret plane building elves are doing a heck of a job. :thumbsup:

-co

thanks Captain. I have them working diligently on the next dual build. although it will likely take longer than 2 weeks. and also require a few tubes of tamiya putty.

DSC_0327-XL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 8:52 PM, RoboGeoff said:

Very nice work. How does the fuel probe door work? Did Tamiya design it so that you can model it with the door removed like they did on pretty much all F-14s near the end? 

the kit comes with an extra fuel probe designed for just that. I dont have the instructions handy but it is on the same sprue as the other probe

Hello dylan,

Great job on your cat! Out of curiosity, what paint did you use for the green tint on the windscreen? I recently bought a bottle of Alclad Armored Tint to simulate the green tint effect and after using it on my test subject canopy, didn't like the results. The results I got were a dull and hazy effect to where you cannot see through the tint clearly, essentially obscuring to great effect whatever details are under the tinted portion. Then again, it could just be operator error.

-Elmo

13 hours ago, wardog said:

Hello dylan,

Great job on your cat! Out of curiosity, what paint did you use for the green tint on the windscreen? I recently bought a bottle of Alclad Armored Tint to simulate the green tint effect and after using it on my test subject canopy, didn't like the results. The results I got were a dull and hazy effect to where you cannot see through the tint clearly, essentially obscuring to great effect whatever details are under the tinted portion. Then again, it could just be operator error.

-Elmo

I used Tamiya clear green and clear blue mixed by eyeball then thinned with mrcolor leveling thinner. I masked the 2 side panels off and sprayed the inside so it would hide any orange peel

hth

8 hours ago, dylan said:

I used Tamiya clear green and clear blue mixed by eyeball then thinned with mrcolor leveling thinner. I masked the 2 side panels off and sprayed the inside so it would hide any orange peel

hth

dylan,

Thanks for tip!

Also,  I apologize for not sending you a private message asking for the info; I've seen too many threads get hi-jacked with random questions like mine.

-Elmo