Hobbyshops in the San Francisco Bay Area

I do not know if this has been asked before.

I´ll be on a business trip to the USA shortly and will fly through San Francisco Intl. Are there any good hobbyshops in the area?

I am interested in Airplane kits, accessories and decals.

Thanks

Michael

How far you willing to drive? The short answer is no, if you only want to drive in the immediate area of SFO (or are relying strictly on public transit). The long answer is yes if you're willing to drive across some of the bridges. To give you a general idea, I live in the area, have a car, and 90% + of my modeling $$$$ are spent via on-line retailers!!!

Edited by modelingbob

There isn't much left here anymore. There is Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro. http://www.hobbiesunlimited.net/
Ace Hardware in Bezerkeley moved to a new location and downsized. There is also Viking Hobby in Sacramento. But is very small shop.
Majority of the good stores closed up over the years.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:31 AM, SinisterVampire319 said:

There isn't much left here anymore. There is Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro. http://www.hobbiesunlimited.net/
Ace Hardware in Bezerkeley moved to a new location and downsized. There is also Viking Hobby in Sacramento. But is very small shop.
Majority of the good stores closed up over the years.

Wasn't San Antonio Hobbies in that area?  I remember it from the 80's.  Huge store.

I assume it is now gone.

4 hours ago, k5ikl said:

Wasn't San Antonio Hobbies in that area?  I remember it from the 80's.  Huge store.

I assume it is now gone.

Long gone Jerry. It closed up shop around 20 years ago. Where it used to be located is now a planned urban shopping/residential village that's very upscale. They probably would have had to move (assuming they were still in business) since there is no way a hobby shop could afford the rent in the new village! It was a great shop though and I used to spend a lot of money there (but my work was only a couple miles away so it was quite close). The bay area is now a hobby shop wasteland, not much around!

On 10/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, modelingbob said:

Long gone Jerry. It closed up shop around 20 years ago. Where it used to be located is now a planned urban shopping/residential village that's very upscale. They probably would have had to move (assuming they were still in business) since there is no way a hobby shop could afford the rent in the new village! It was a great shop though and I used to spend a lot of money there (but my work was only a couple miles away so it was quite close). The bay area is now a hobby shop wasteland, not much around!

I really miss San Antonio and Tower records across the street.

After they closed. I heard a former employee named Yanni opened up (albeit way smaller) shop nearby. Did you make it to his place? I believe it didn't last too long.
D&J used to be good. Then they moved and that seemed to be the nail in the coffin for that one too.

15 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

I really miss San Antonio and Tower records across the street.

After they closed. I heard a former employee named Yanni opened up (albeit way smaller) shop nearby. Did you make it to his place? I believe it didn't last too long.
D&J used to be good. Then they moved and that seemed to be the nail in the coffin for that one too.

WOWZERS, you're really going in the way back machine if you can remember Tower and San Antonio. They've both been gone for a very long time! AHHHHH, fond memories!!! Yep, I went into Yanni's shop a time or two. Yep, it didn't last too long!!! D&J had to move when they renovated the strip mall and jacked up the rent. The only reason they survived as long as they did is because they had a way below market rent. They downsized and moved down the street to give it a go, but the smaller location (which is all they could afford) pretty much sealed their fate. They were lucky that they were able to dodge the Bay Area high rents for so long, but that eventually caught up to them. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, modelingbob said:

WOWZERS, you're really going in the way back machine if you can remember Tower and San Antonio. They've both been gone for a very long time! AHHHHH, fond memories!!! Yep, I went into Yanni's shop a time or two. Yep, it didn't last too long!!! D&J had to move when they renovated the strip mall and jacked up the rent. The only reason they survived as long as they did is because they had a way below market rent. They downsized and moved down the street to give it a go, but the smaller location (which is all they could afford) pretty much sealed their fate. They were lucky that they were able to dodge the Bay Area high rents for so long, but that eventually caught up to them. 

Whenever I could get down from here, I always hit up Tower and San Antonio. Even with their attitudes there. 
Also in the city The Hobby Co. and a couple of others. Hobby Co. is still there. But their model section went to hell.
It's kind of a drive for you, but the local model club is having a model contest here in Rohnert Park on the 27th.