New Caracal Models Basics sheets

2 hours ago, KursadA said:

After a long detour, the conditions are finally right for the logistics of getting these out. This year I will first release these ones I promised earlier:

CDB48007: 1/48 US National Insignia (full color)

CDB48008: 1/48 US National Insignia with silver outlines (full color)

CDB48009: 1/48 US National Insignia - low visibility

CDB48010: 1/48 USAF markings - Insignia Blue

CDB48011: 1/48 USAF markings with silver outlines - Insignia Blue

CDB48012: 1/48 USAF 45-degree serial numbers - Black

CDB48013: 1/48 USAF 45-degree serial numbers - White

CDB48014: 1/48 USAF Vietnam War-style 45-degree serial numbers - White

I will then release:

CDB48015:  1/48 & 1/72 SAC (Strategic Air Command) insignia and "Milky Way" sashes

CDB48016: 1/48 & 1/72  TAC (Tactical Air Command) insignia

Oh hell, I am going to need all of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Changed the numbering a little bit to keep them in sequence...CDB48007 will be the first new Basics sheet in a regular, monthly series - I hope you will find it to be helpful in your various 1/48 & 1/72 scale projects. Cartograf-printed TAC & ACC badges in both common and not-so-common variations, 1960s era TAC lightning badges in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 (these were a standard size). 

I will also release CDB48008 (Strategic Air Command Badges / Sashes) alongside this one in April, to be followed by a cadence of one or two Basics sheets in every batch. Air National Guard and other command badges will also be featured in future Basics sheets.

cdb48007.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Kursad, 
A suggestion: Would it make sense to number the various sized badges so that you can have a reference list of which size typically fits what type of fighter? 
This could help in perticular newcommers and those less familiar with certain types of fighters. I, for one, know the F-15/16/18 etc quite well, but less so on the F-84. 

Nothing worse than applying a decal only to find that it's out of size for the aircraft you have modelled 😉

Superb idea.  The TAC Lightning badges are particularly welcome, as are the SAC shield.  So many bad examples out there.  I would like to suggest Edward's test badges, and maaaaaaybe look at 1/144 for all the subjects. 

Rick L.

And this is what the SAC sheet will look like:

cdb48008.jpg

I will look into numbering these, but there seem to be really few standard sizes for the SAC badges (36, 24 and 16 in as far as I could identify) and there are too many sizes and variations of the TAC/ACC badges. Compiling a reference list for every type and time period would be pretty difficult.

11 hours ago, KursadA said:

cdb48008.jpg

I will look into numbering these, but there seem to be really few standard sizes for the SAC badges (36, 24 and 16 in as far as I could identify) and there are too many sizes and variations of the TAC/ACC badges. Compiling a reference list for every type and time period would be pretty difficult.

Kursad,  I know that you said the TAC/ACC sheet was 1/48 & 1/72 in sizes, but would you consider scaling the SAC sheet down to 1/72 & 1/144?  Most of SAC's aircraft were large bombers and not too many of those are kitted in 1/48 scale.  SAC also operated trainers, utility and fighter types (for a short period) which would fit the 1/48 size, but I think 1/72 & 1/144 would sell better.  K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

These are fantastic and I am in for a couple of copies of both MAJCOM sheets...after looking at the TAC/ACC design again, I'm unsure if the subdued blue/gray version is only offered for TAC, or if there is an ACC blue/gray version included as well?

Along the lines of Dutch's input, I was also curious to clarify if the smallest shields on both sheets are scaled to 12" in 1/72 (which, being 24" in 1/144, serves my purposes equally well!)  

Thanks for doing these!

Chris

Edited by Gator52

The SAC sheet is already almost completely 1/72 and 1/144. The most common SAC shield size seems to be 24", with the 36" version being used on some of the larger types like the B-47 and B-52. The only 1/48 elements on the SAC sheet are really the two enormous shields in the middle; which are intended to be 36" shields in 1/48 scale and would probably be only useful to someone building a vacform B-47 in 1/48, for example.

Most of the remaining markings on the SAC sheet are 36" and 24" scale shields in 1/72 scale; and a few 24" shields in 1/144.

The TAC/ACC sheet is somewhat different and I tried to strike a balance here between 1/48 and 1/72. The most common size here is 24". I added only one set of TAC lightning bolts in 1/32 in the middle. 

The smallest badges in both sheets are suitable for 1/144 scale.  I realize these are not perfect and will not work for every conceivable situation - there are the odd sizes of TAC/ACC low-vis shields (which seem to be applied with computer-cut paint masks and can be any size), different blue tones for SAC sashes, etc... But I believe these will serve most of your needs while still meeting my cost target.

Edited by KursadA

Kursad,  Yes, you have thought it out very well!  For us Braille scale guys, we could still use the largest SAC badge and sash for the display base.  Well then, I'll have to get at least a couple of each.  You may have just boosted sales considerably!  K/r, Dutch

On 2/22/2021 at 9:20 PM, KursadA said:

cdb48008.jpg

I'll be all over this one.   As others have said, "Take my money!"

On 2/23/2021 at 8:21 PM, Gator52 said:

Thanks for the clarification on the sizing, sounds great. 

Is a blue/gray ACC version included, or just TAC?  Looks like just TAC, but can’t quite be sure. 

Chris

I added the ACC version as well. Still working on the colors - will post a final draft this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

You know what?  Some late 40s early 50s subjects (mostly bombers) had the full UNITED STATES AIR FORCE spelled out on the fuselage sides in a fairly small font.  I don't know of anybody that offers this option.  It wouldn't think that this would take up a lot of space on an essentials sheet.  I have contemplated a couple subjects that would have needed this option in the past but passed for want of a decal instead of 20 individual letters. 

Rick L.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, Spruemeister said:

You know what?  Some late 40s early 50s subjects (mostly bombers) had the full UNITED STATES AIR FORCE spelled out on the fuselage sides in a fairly small font.  I don't know of anybody that offers this option.  It wouldn't think that this would take up a lot of space on an essentials sheet.  I have contemplated a couple subjects that would have needed this option in the past but passed for want of a decal instead of 20 individual letters. 

Rick L.

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/fundekals-1-72-decals-of-usaf-u-s-air-force-titles-fun72014

On 3/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, Spruemeister said:

...but passed for want of a decal instead of 20 individual letters. 

There used to be a time when modeling meant some effort and elbow grease - sheesh. What are you going to ask for next - ready-made WWII Italian smoke ring decals? Oh, wait - never mind. 🙂

This is a good idea and I will consider including it in an appropriate future Basics sheet - I did various version of this marking for the C-124 and the B-47 sheets, and perhaps a few others.

8 hours ago, KursadA said:

There used to be a time when modeling meant some effort and elbow grease - sheesh. What are you going to ask for next - ready-made WWII Italian smoke ring decals? Oh, wait - never mind. 🙂

This is a good idea and I will consider including it in an appropriate future Basics sheet - I did various version of this marking for the C-124 and the B-47 sheets, and perhaps a few others.

For what it’s worth, Magnesium Overcast (Jenkins, 2001), lists the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE lettering as 9” tall on the B-36.

Chris