Hasegawa 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom II

Hi all,

In a fit of madness I decided to build four 1/48 Phantoms at the same time. Here's the first: Hasegawa's 1/48 F-4E from a 2001 boxing in the kit decals. Paint is Mr Color and applied freehand. The seats and pylons are True Details resin. The engine exhausts are from an Academy F-4. A full description is written up here: https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii/

Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Jon

f4e_21.jpg

f4e_22.jpg

f4e_14.jpg

f4e_33.jpg

f4e_16.jpg

f4e_23.jpg

f4e_42.jpg

f4e_50.jpg

f4e_58.jpg

f4e_57.jpg

Jon,

congrats on your very nice Phantom. Neat build and fine paint job/weathering!

That said the pics seem to be somehow distorted making the Phantom look short!? Probably happened when resizing the pics. On your site it looks much better!

Cheers,

Joerg 

1 minute ago, Joerg said:

Jon,

congrats on your very nice Phantom. Neat build and fine paint job/weathering!

That said the pics seem to be somehow distorted making the Phantom look short!? Probably happened when resizing the pics. On your site it looks much better!

Cheers,

Joerg 

Thanks.

I assume you're viewing it on a mobile device. I haven't resized the images - they're direct links from my website. I assume it's a bug on the forum software when it resizes for a phone.

Jon

5 minutes ago, Joerg said:

No phone. On my Macbook.

As I said the pics are fine on your site, but somehow short on ARC.

Don't get me wrong: As I said, it is a very nice model! :thumbsup:

Hmmm...how weird! Nothing I can do about it sadly, but I'm glad you liked the images 🙂

Cheers

Jon

Love it Jon! A few observations: great use of chipping in front of the IFR receptacle and splitter plates. Perhaps some small chipping marks on the front windscreen frame might also be appropriate? I like the weathering too. I think you missed an opportunity to do more with the NMF area--particularly the stabilators. And the Academy cans sell your build short, honestly. And to end on a high note, your camo work is phenomenal!

Very nice build and excellent paint job.

Geoff M

ps  I had the same distortion issue viewing the images on my Mac, but on the PC they look normal so maybe its a Mac issue. :dontknow:

Edited by Geoff M
58 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

Very nice build and excellent paint job.

Geoff M

ps  I had the same distortion issue viewing the images on my Mac, but on the PC they look normal so maybe its a Mac issue. :dontknow:

I'm viewing on a Win 7 machine and I see the distortion. So, not a Mac issue. I think the forum must have resized them somehow. Maybe depending on the browser software.

Otherwise, very nice. Man, you have a steady hand. The camo job is great.

Edited by Mstor

Thanks all.

23 minutes ago, Dmanton300 said:

Tee hee, looks like an egg plane on this computer! 😁

Some of the best freehand work with Mr Color I've ever seen though. Care to share brush/thinner/ratios/pressures?

I'm afraid there's nothing precise about it. I find it impossible to be precise with Mr Color because the paint viscosity is so variable from pot to pot. The 311, for example, I had to resurrect from a layer of solid paint into something liquid before I then thinned it further for airbrushing. In general I am thinning it probably about 1:8, with some Mr Mild Retarder added in. That means about 3 drops of paint plus thinner and retarder occupies 3/4 of the paint cup on the airbrush.

Pressure is probably somewhere between 10-15PSI halfway along the compressor line.

Airbrush is Iwata Custom Micron B, with the crown cap removed. Thinner is Mr Leveling Thinner.

Jon

Lovely finish Jon, I love Mr color as well but I'd never get that sort of demarcation.

I really like the ejection Seat grab handles. I think they look very convincing, great idea.  

I enjoyed the article (as usual). I know you don't do stores/weapons etc but you really should. : D 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, jonbryon said:

Thanks all.

<edited body for brevity>.

Airbrush is Iwata Custom Micron B, with the crown cap removed. Thinner is Mr Leveling Thinner.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I know what you mean about Mr Color viscosity - but it still gives me a little thrill to be able to reconstitute Mr Color from solid and just carry on using it! 
There's not much that differs from what I do, except perhaps the retarder. But I'm always interested in airbrush technique of any finish I'm impressed with, and that's superb. Cheers!

On 10/9/2018 at 6:21 AM, Dmanton300 said:

Thanks Jon, I know what you mean about Mr Color viscosity - but it still gives me a little thrill to be able to reconstitute Mr Color from solid and just carry on using it! 

It never ceases to amaze me just how far you can push Mr Color. This morning I painted about 25% of the upper surfaces of an F-4 with about 3 drops of paint (highly thinned, obviously) over a black base. The bottles are small, but they last ages!