CD144016 - 1/144 KC-10 Extender

Thanks Dutch! there not mine posted them here just for info on the KDC-10. I have a KDC-10 in da works, converted DC-10 of Airfix and have KC-10 as well. Not one DC-10 kit is perfect, but I take them as is, and do some work on them. I can help Kursad perhaps with unit and other markings I can find online. 

http://www.scalecar.eu/models/aviation-200-av2kc1003-mcdonnell-douglas-kdc-10-30cf-military-transport-in-flight-refueling-tanker-t-235-jan-scheffer-special-tial-markings-60-years-334-squadron-koninklijke-luchtmacht-rnlaf-eindhoven-airport-n9410.html

Edited by Eric2020

To help a bit Kursad here's the unit emblem as seen near the cockpit windows. Just the disc is needed and the horse is better white of colour as its very small for 1/144 scale

Scroll down until you see 334 squadron

https://www.defensie.nl/organisatie/luchtmacht/vliegbases-en-luchtmachtonderdelen/eindhoven/squadrons

Jubileumfeest-70-jaar-334-squadron.jpg

Edited by Eric2020
added pictures
6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Eric,

I think that Kursad has pretty much set the artwork for the KC-10 sheet.  I do not think it includes KLu KDC-10 markings.  So we will have to wait another turn of the wheel.

R/ Dutch

Yes - the time to contribute to the design of this sheet was five weeks ago. It is now being printed and will be available in 7-10 days.

Hopefully one of the model companies will realize what a monumentally important airframe the DC-10 was; and will give us a new kit of the family in the near future. At the time, I may consider another military DC-10/KC-10 sheet.

I have been watching evlbay and various kit resellers for the Revell KC-10 kit.  It is going for upwards of $75 USD.  I am kicking myself now for selling mine several years ago, but water over the dam. 

I was researching my options.  Welsh produces a KC-10 kit (MT42P), but it is at least as expensive as the Revell kit right now (£59 = $76).  I was toying with the idea of purchasing a MikroMir / Eastern Express 1/144 MD-11 kit ($60) and cutting it down to a DC-10-30.  At least it would have the long wing after bodies already molded and the centerline u/c leg, so would be easier to modify than say a straight Revell / Airfix DC-10-10 kit (currently running $35-$50).  Except for the Welsh kit, the latter options would require scratch building the IFR probe and drogue fitting as well as other mods.

I will buy the sheet and hope for a Revell KC-10 to come along.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I hope they bring out a KC-10! I know it's not anticipated, but tanker kits seem relatively popular. The Roden VC-10 is a nice example, and Minicraft's KC-135 series seems to have done well.

And like Dutch notes, the Revell KC-10 is expensive and hard to get a hold of despite its issues.

Also, I want a pony and world peace...

• 3 weeks later...

Got my KC-10 sheet.  Amazing.  Who else but Caracal would bother to do state of the art decals for a kit released in during Reagan's first term!  I am very grateful.  Glad to see there is a market for something besides the 6,457th 1/48 Bf 109 sheet.  

1 hour ago, AD-4N said:

Got my KC-10 sheet.  Amazing.  Who else but Caracal would bother to do state of the art decals for a kit released in during Reagan's first term!  I am very grateful.  Glad to see there is a market for something besides the 6,457th 1/48 Bf 109 sheet.  

I'm glad you liked it. The sheet was very successful, and is the second best selling sheet in this batch after the prototype F-15s (CD48150).

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see the new decals for the 1/144 KC-10, when I order the 1/144 AN-225 I am going to order a set of the KC-10 decals. I was very pleased with the quality of the 1/144 C-141 decals Caracal released a few years ago. The only problem I have with Revell KC-10 is the crappy engines that come with the kit.

41 minutes ago, quark51 said:

The only problem I have with Revell KC-10 is the crappy engines that come with the kit.

Contrails Models does a set of resin engines for the DC-10-10/15 and 30.   Do a quickie google search and you should be able to see what they look like.  I'm on the fence whether they are much of an improvement over the kit engines.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:04 AM, KursadA said:

I'm glad you liked it. The sheet was very successful, and is the second best selling sheet in this batch after the prototype F-15s (CD48150).

So, is stock running low on the KC-10 decals, or can a guy wait another month?  Asking for a friend.......

On 3/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, Drifterdon said:

Contrails Models does a set of resin engines for the DC-10-10/15 and 30.   Do a quickie google search and you should be able to see what they look like.  I'm on the fence whether they are much of an improvement over the kit engines.

FWIW, everything I’ve seen (as in held in my hands) from that resin manufacturer has been pretty rough. You might have better luck seeing if you can get some engines from Authentic Airliners. Kurt’s stuff is not cheap but you won’t find a better product.

Ben 

11 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

FWIW, everything I’ve seen (as in held in my hands) from that resin manufacturer has been pretty rough. You might have better luck seeing if you can get some engines from Authentic Airliners. Kurt’s stuff is not cheap but you won’t find a better product.

Ben 

I bought their resin replacement engines for the Aurora 1/72 737. They were an improvement over the kit parts (although that's not saying much) and the castings were clean. Needed some fitting/filling as they weren't totally plug and play parts, but I was happy with the results. Can't comment on the rest of their stuff though.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:02 AM, Colin K said:

So, is stock running low on the KC-10 decals, or can a guy wait another month?  Asking for a friend.......

I have ample stock and I don't think the sheet will sell out for at least a couple more years.

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

I have ample stock and I don't think the sheet will sell out for at least a couple more years.

Wow great news Kursad. I have been getting my list together for the order but it is over 15 sheets. Trying to slim the order down to easy the wallet. Should really buy in smaller batches. That KC-10 is on my list for sure.