CD144016 - 1/144 KC-10 Extender

I meant I should design decals for other older kits and bring them to the attention of kit manufacturers - not that it is necessarily what happened here. 

Not sure if I will be doing another KC-10 sheet, but your subject selections are noted. Perhaps when I finally start that civilian airliner decals brand that I have been working on.

@KursadA

Apolgies for mis-reading your intent and meaning, but I like your humor.  Omega Air markings are pretty spartan, all black and probably easy enough to do on my ALPS printer.  No boom on their KDC-10-40, only twin drogues under the rear fusleage and the wingtip pods.  So I should start with an MD-11 kit (need the engine bulge for the -40).  A good freind flies their KC-707 tankers, so i will see if I can get photos of that platform the next time he is in town.

R/ Dutch

On 5/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Gator52 said:

I don’t have anything by Micro Mir; not real sure what to expect from them...

Jonah

Jonah,

If their MD-11 kit is any prediction; check out the MD-11 parts review by Viking on Britmodeler.  And MD-11 build log by Ridgeline on Britmodeler.  And MD-11 KLM completed build by Alex1978 on Britmodeler.   I can assume that we will receive a similar parts breakdown as Viking shows in his review.  Alex's results are very nice. 

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
grammar

Thanks for the links Dutch, at the very least it looks as though the MD-11 engine design mitigates what I see as the weakest point of the Revell KC-10, hopefully that carries across to Micro Mir’s new KC-10 as well. 

Jonah

• 1 year later...

I am looking for a little help, and thought that this topic may be the best place at the moment. I am currently making the AMP KC-10 kit using this decal sheet to make one of the Grey/White schemes, but I have run up against a slight problem. I have got most of the kit painted and I have now started on the Blue around the cockpit. I have bought and started to use the Ammo-Mig paint No MIG-0229, which is said to be FS15102. But when I have painted it next to the photocopied mask that I using to get the painted area correct it looks too bright from the Blue on the mask. I will post some pictures showing what I have got, so hopefully someone with a better eye than me could possibly make a better suggestion. If a different paint suggestion is made it would have to be one that could be used with a brush and is available in the UK. Many thanks in advance for any help.

http://village.photos/images/user/1464ba65-530f-4676-8d15-3405feffae8f/resized_f657f6a7-c87f-43a2-996a-d6caac3cf4e5.JPG

http://village.photos/images/user/1464ba65-530f-4676-8d15-3405feffae8f/resized_b3fcd698-7abf-41ef-a9c1-dbbcb4887b75.JPG

http://village.photos/images/user/1464ba65-530f-4676-8d15-3405feffae8f/resized_542b4505-cec2-4755-b385-2d9edb24b1d1.JPG

http://village.photos/images/user/1464ba65-530f-4676-8d15-3405feffae8f/resized_907265e9-e73c-42fa-92e0-d3f10432f57b.JPG

@Jabba29,

Yes, that is unsettling when the advertised paint color is nowhere close.  Looks like time to custom mix your own! Sorry, I have not even begun to think of starting mine, so I haven't crossed that bridge yet.  Dive in!  The water's fine!

K/r,

Dutch

15 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Jabba29,

Yes, that is unsettling when the advertised paint color is nowhere close.  Looks like time to custom mix your own! Sorry, I have not even begun to think of starting mine, so I haven't crossed that bridge yet.  Dive in!  The water's fine!

K/r,

Dutch

Thanks, I thought that that might be the answer. Any colour suggestion Dk Grey, Black or something else?

• 11 months later...

Hi gents, trying to resurrect this thread a bit. I started updating my Gulf war page for Extenders. I was able to find new great info on FB group for KC-10s. However, I was not able to find serial numbers to tie with some great nose art (so far).  So here are 4 pics I would like to identify. Also, in a few cases, the plane had same nose art, but in different style. I am also trying to find in which era/date it was. Also, some were in SAC camo, some in Shamu camo. Were some SAC repainted into Shamu ? (pics suggest atleast one or two airframes were resprayed). I have more questions though. So if anybody can help me a bit....

Thanks !

224d11e75Untitled-101.jpg

blackstar_2243c35f0Untitled-107.jpg

california freestyle_79 ARS_224ccecfbUntitled-99.jpg

grizzly_224f14accUntitled-109.jpg

New KC-10s were delivered with the Shamu paint scheme starting somewhere around the halfway point in production; don't have the exact serial at hand. All but two of the white tops were re-painted in the Shamu scheme, one at Travis and one at McGuire. You could tell the difference between a Long Beach factory original and a repaint as the latter appeared darker. They even weathered differently. So we took both white tops and Shamus into Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Right after going from SAC and TAC to AMC they were all repainted in the current AMC gray. Interestingly, one SAC bird was painted all over Dark Ghost Gray prior to the AMC conversion. 

Hi Curt, thanks for the info. I found info that up to 84-0185 they were delivered in SAC camo, after that in Shamu. About that repaint - so all former SAC birds were repainted except two ? I found info, based on nose art, that 79-1949 and 82-0193 were first in SAC and then in Shamu. So there were more repaints ? Sorry, english is not my first language and I am a bit confused now ....

So, the repaints were like this ?

SAC > AMC

SAC > Shamu > AMC

Shamu > AMC

and one SAC > DGG > AMC

btw, is there a list when they were sent up for repaint ?

Thanks.

Your repaint description/flow is correct. The two in SAC camo (white-tops) were eventually repainted in AMC gray. They were supposedly left as "white-tops" for sensitive or diplomatic missions, but that did not last. The first KC-10 was 79-0433, briefly registered as N110KC for flight test before handing over to the USAF, Oct 1981. Hope this helps. Your English fine by the way.

Folks, allow me to ask a KC-10 question myself: sorry if this sounds crazy, but while designing the C-17 decals I realized that the windshield geometry is very similar between the KC-10 and the C-17 : to the extent that I am wondering if the individual panes / parts could be shared.

Is there any truth to this? Is there any commonality between KC-10 and C-17 windshields/windows beyond what could be expected in two designs from the same company?

I do not have a firm answer to your windshield question but the individual panels on the two do look identical. From some angles the frames look different but I suspect that is caused by the C-17's being painted and the KC-10's in natural metal. It would certainly make sense, look at the DC-8 and DC-9, or the 707, 727 and 737. 

If you are planning another KC-10 sheet (!) let me know as I have quite a bit of markings info including factory drawings. You could do a Dutch KDC-10 and the one-and-only KC-10 with a shark's mouth. Only ever seen one photo of that bird. A sheet for RAF Tristar tankers would make a nice complement. Just sayin'.

The NSN for the C-17 windshields is apparently 1560-01-341-3793.

The following site says there are two part numbers associated with this NSN:   NBA6045-501 and NBA6045-503.

https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/1560-01-341-3793.html

According to the PPG Aerospace (a transparency manufacturer), NBA6045-501 is the part number for the pilot side windshield panel for DC-10 / MD-11 series:

https://www.ppgaerospace.com/getmedia/e4a61e97-4e9b-4b83-b656-7eff3f53aac3/DC-10_TD_FINAL.pdf?ext=.pdf

My conclusion is that the central windshield and side window panels for the C-17 and KC-10 are identical.