CD144016 - 1/144 KC-10 Extender

Quick question, and maybe I am clueless, but is there a 1/144 KC-10 available? Again I may be out of the loop on this, I don't keep close tabs on new releases. If there is one on the horizon then sign me up for a set.

Dave Fassett

2 hours ago, Bulldog 09 said:

Quick question, and maybe I am clueless, but is there a 1/144 KC-10 available? Again I may be out of the loop on this, I don't keep close tabs on new releases. If there is one on the horizon then sign me up for a set.

Dave Fassett

Welsh models due a Vac-Form kit.

58 minutes ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Initial roll out white/grey options, please! 😄

Of course! There will be options for all of the major schemes worn by the type: white top with SAC sash, "Shamu" and the current AMC Gray scheme. 

Well this is great news. I have had that Revell kit in my stash for years and the decals are pretty much gone to crap now. I have always liked the KC-10 but more the initial airliner white USAF scheme as depicted on Revell's box.

Also, Kursad, were you thinking of including the Dutch AF KC-10 too? You are probably not doing more than one KC-10 sheet so just wondering here. The Dutch AF had their KC-10s in that original white scheme too. The stripe could be painted as it would take up too much room on the sheet. I believe they are now overall grey similar to the USAF aircraft. Here is a link to an image but you probably know about this already.

https://www.magellanmodels.com/aviation-200-royal-netherlands-air-force-kc-10-30cf-t-264/

Edited by skyhawk174

Wow cool nose art. Prety beat up paint job though.

Not sure how true it is but I had read somewhere that that new gunship grey scheme was a pain from a heat absorption stand point. You would think it would not be a big issue since the inside is pretty much empty right, unless it was configured for troops. They probably upgraded the air conditioning system.

12 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Also, Kursad, were you thinking of including the Dutch AF KC-10 too? You are probably not doing more than one KC-10 sheet so just wondering here. The Dutch AF had their KC-10s in that original white scheme too. The stripe could be painted as it would take up too much room on the sheet. I believe they are now overall grey similar to the USAF aircraft. Here is a link to an image but you probably know about this already.

Yes please!

Officially they are called KDC-10's. The scheme nowadays is a bit different to the USAF ones, the Dutch ones are in a 2 tone grey scheme. Picture (with special markings on tail) found on the internet.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor kdc-10

Edited by Lex
spelling check

I want to build a white top delivery version as well.  😲  However, I can already foresee lots of "fun" matching the blue that surrounds the crown of the cockpit to the blue cheat-line Caracal decals will certainly provide. 

Looking at Airliners.net, you can find many photos of in-service KC-10s where the blue on top of the crown has lightened and faded.  I will try for that worn effect.  But it looks like the USAF kept the blue around the cockpit windows well-matched to the cheat-line. 

Special request for Caracal:  please include cockpit windows in dark gray or black with silver surrounds around the cockpit windows.  Almost every photo of USAF or Dutch machines have the windows that way.  Please see Dutch photo above.  Besides the nose of the Revell KC-10 is wonky and the inclusion of a good set of cockpit window decals will go a long way.  Thanks for listening to your devoted customers.  

1 hour ago, AD-4N said:

Special request for Caracal:  please include cockpit windows in dark gray or black with silver surrounds around the cockpit windows.  Almost every photo of USAF or Dutch machines have the windows that way.  Please see Dutch photo above.  Besides the nose of the Revell KC-10 is wonky and the inclusion of a good set of cockpit window decals will go a long way.  Thanks for listening to your devoted customers.  

I had already planned to include a couple of windshield decals with silver borders exactly like you described, as this is a particularly difficult area to get right without decals and makes a lot of difference on the finished model. I have a good number of reference photos and I am sure you will like the results.

Now if only I could find a kit to test the fit of the artwork I have prepared.

Folks, are the Revell 1/144 DC-10 and KC-10 kits completely different tools? Whatever sprue photos I could find on the Web suggest that the fuselages are clearly different, but the other sprues seem similar. 

I already designed the main markings using a set of accurate 1/144 scale drawings that I prepared - but I need to check the fit of a few markings that need to conform to the structural details of the actual kit.

If I can not find a Revell KC-10, can I buy a Revell DC-10 and use it to design the windshield decals and check the fit/form of few kit-dependent markings (door outlines etc.) ? 

Edited by KursadA