Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
KursadA

CD144016 - 1/144 KC-10 Extender

Recommended Posts

Kursad I am always amazed with what you release. I know it sure has revived my interest in my older kits on my shelf not getting built. I also like your attention to detail and I think this sets you apart in this decal making business.

 

For that gloss/flat transition I think it would not be too difficult to accomplish if I use some sort of post it note to mask over the decal. I think I will spray a gloss coat first though to not take the change of lifting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a black nose glare shield provided on another sheet for the delivery scheme?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a couple Revell Dc-10 kits, how easy would it be to convert to a KC-10? Obviously the refueling gear, anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

I've got a couple Revell Dc-10 kits, how easy would it be to convert to a KC-10? Obviously the refueling gear, anything else?

Hmmm, that depends on how much of a masochist you are and what level of accuracy you will be happy with. Several changes come to mind; 1 extended wing-fuselage trailing bodies, 2 IFR boom, station and drogue buckets, 3 adding centerline undercarriage bogie, 4 a few extra antennas and blank the windows, 5 and don't forget the correct engines: CF6-50C2. 

As Miracle Max says, "Have fun storming the castle!"

R/ Dutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Hmmm, that depends on how much of a masochist you are and what level of accuracy you will be happy with. Several changes come to mind; 1 extended wing-fuselage trailing bodies, 2 IFR boom, station and drogue buckets, 3 adding centerline undercarriage bogie, 4 a few extra antennas and blank the windows, 5 and don't forget the correct engines: CF6-50C2. 

As Miracle Max says, "Have fun storming the castle!"

R/ Dutch

Thanks Dutch! How many of those changes did Revell make? Or did they just slap refueling gear on their DC-10 kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Hmmm, that depends on how much of a masochist you are and what level of accuracy you will be happy with. Several changes come to mind; 1 extended wing-fuselage trailing bodies, 2 IFR boom, station and drogue buckets, 3 adding centerline undercarriage bogie, 4 a few extra antennas and blank the windows, 5 and don't forget the correct engines: CF6-50C2. 

As Miracle Max says, "Have fun storming the castle!"

R/ Dutch

Whoops! When all else fails, go back and read read the thread! I see the answers there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will add the nose anti-glare area and the two low-vis MAC shields to the design tonight - thanks for your suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for accommodating the request!

 

It won’t matter much in 1/144, but based on the 1993 date of the photo I linked to I believe it’s AMC vice MAC. I think all the KC-10s transitioned from SAC to AMC & ACC in 1992; I don’t know if they were ever assigned to MAC. 

 

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what the dimensions of the cargo door are?   I have an old crusty American Airlines DC-10-30 I'm rehabbing into a KC-10 using my unbuilt KC kit as a template.   The cool thing about the Revell KC kit is they give you two flying booms so you can display as stowed on the ground or deployed in-flight, refueling whatever fighter kit Revell decided to provide in that particular boxing/offering.   The civil DC kit doesn't have a cargo door so I'm going to try and see if a 707 cargo door outline decal will fit.

Edited by Drifterdon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, Drifterdon said:

Anyone know what the dimensions of the cargo door are?   I have an old crusty American Airlines DC-10-30 I'm rehabbing into a KC-10 using my unbuilt KC kit as a template.   The cool thing about the Revell KC kit is they give you two flying booms so you can display as stowed on the ground or deployed in-flight, refueling whatever fighter kit Revell decided to provide in that particular boxing/offering.   The civil DC kit doesn't have a cargo door so I'm going to try and see if a 707 cargo door outline decal will fit.

I can measure and post. As for those flying booms, I don't see it in my kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I can measure and post. As for those flying booms, I don't see it in my kit.

My kit provides two different booms.  There is an extended boom for in-fight display and one that is retracted and stowed.  They only give you one set of elevons and the vertical taillettes or whatever they call those things on the ends of the elevons.  I couldn't find what they are called.  Anyway, I'll have to scratch build those for the second boom along with the boomers station on the bottom of the fuselage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I am an idiot. I read flying boom but thought drougue. I know that the KC-10 does have a drougue outlet as a fairing at the aft end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two drogue fittings actually, one either side of centerline. 

Edited by Dutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one drogue on centerline, and it's off to the starboard a little. If it has the two wingtip pods, the it can do 3 drogues, but this was rare to see during my experience with these, and I hated loading cargo on them before 60K Tunners came along.

 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-KC-10A-Extender-DC-10-30CF/1935209/L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 1:44 AM, Falcon053 said:

Only one drogue on centerline, and it's off to the starboard a little. If it has the two wingtip pods, the it can do 3 drogues, but this was rare to see during my experience with these, and I hated loading cargo on them before 60K Tunners came along.

 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-KC-10A-Extender-DC-10-30CF/1935209/L

You are correct Falcon! I must have had the RAF Tristar in my mind's eye when I made my previous assertion.  I stand corrected.  Keep calm and carry on.

Edited by Dutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, Falcon053 said:

Only one drogue on centerline, and it's off to the starboard a little. If it has the two wingtip pods, the it can do 3 drogues, but this was rare to see during my experience with these, and I hated loading cargo on them before 60K Tunners came along.

 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-KC-10A-Extender-DC-10-30CF/1935209/L

 

Okay so I am not crazy. I think all the tankers should have this ability but I believe the KC-135 has to install a drogue system in the flying boom to do the drogue and probe thing. Probably only do that when they go on exercise where they know they will have aircraft with only IFR probes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some, but not all, of the "R" model -135s can carry hose and drought pods out on the ends of the wings as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bluedot25 said:

Some, but not all, of the "R" model -135s can carry hose and drought pods out on the ends of the wings as well...

 Oh yeah forgot about the pods. I know our Canadian Forces tankers had wing mounted pods but no boom.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The KDC-10 is different from the KC-10 in this that its having a station inside of the aircraft and for refueling aircraft video camera's are used. The KDC-10 was the first tanker to employ this system. Later the same system is used by the KC-767 by Italy and Japan

 

There where 3 tankers at some point altough number 3 was never a tanker and not converted to tanker. Number 3 was very short lived and left the RNLAF after only very short time. T-235 and T-264 where the tankers that flew in the white/grey scheme. Nowadays the KDC-10's use the grey scheme which is consisting of

underside FS 36375

Top FS 36173

 

 

klu_kdc102.jpg

13173857_517542655095854_445143458767272881_n.jpg

Edited by Eric2020
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...