MiG-31: The Near-Space Plane. Russia’s super-fast interceptor

This doc is a few years old now, but what is funny is the mention about new missile at 7 min mark. IE the one that is able to strike targets in space. (ASAT) Back then we didnt know anything about that and the consensus was that he was broadly speaking about R-37M (RVV-BD). Well, as of a week ago or so...

A91Tfkt.jpg

VP49gjl.jpg

Now I like the Mig, but doing some serious thinking I said "BS" to myself! Eighty one thousand feet! So what! The SR71 was capable of that and then some more. The F15 could do that, and is on record for doing one hundred thousand feet plus! Shooting down a sattalite is nothing new. They did it an F15 fifteen years ago, and I'm sure there are others out there.

Gary

Edited by ChesshireCat
2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Now I like the Mig, but doing some serious thinking I said "BS" to myself! Eighty one thousand feet! So what! The SR71 was capable of that and then some more. The F15 could do that, and is on record for doing one hundred thousand feet plus! Shooting down a sattalite is nothing new. They did it an F15 fifteen years ago, and I'm sure there are others out there.

Gary

Which part do you refer to as BS? Do you consider them to be lying about something, or simply think that what they demonstrate is so unremarkable that it doesn't really justify a documentary like this one? These aircraft operate regularly and operationally at those altitudes - in my mind it is still a big deal. You are right that the SR-71 was capable of operating at those heights, but the SR-71 was an entirely different class of aircraft - an awesome one - but different with a different mission, and it is of course not operational anymore. Special record flights like the one that you mentioned during which the Streak Eagle briefly reached 103,000 ft or the one in which the Ye-266M (MiG-25M) achieved 123,520 ft (considerably higher than the F-15 by the way) were of course incredible achievements, but those ultimate ceilings were achieved during specially designed climb profiles and with specially modified aircraft during which the aircraft were basically just following a ballistic path for the upper few thousand feet - great records but not representative of the normal useful operational envelopes of the aircraft. What made the SR-71 so impressive in its time, and the MiG-31 still today, is that they could/can regularly operate and perform their missions at those heights, even though it may be much lower than the once-off historical altitude records mentioned above.

As for shooting down satellites - it may not be something new, but even today it is a very difficult challenge and it is a powerful capability to have. It is still a big deal and very few nations possess that capability.

For me, the great visuals were worth the watch anyway - I have been on a couple of "high altitude" test flights before, but nowhere near the heights shown in the video. The ground operations were another fascinating part of the documentary - it is not every day when you get a glimpse of what goes on inside a MiG-31 base.

6 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Which part do you refer to as BS? Do you consider them to be lying about something, or simply think that what they demonstrate is so unremarkable that it doesn't really justify a documentary like this one? These aircraft operate regularly and operationally at those altitudes - in my mind it is still a big deal. You are right that the SR-71 was capable of operating at those heights, but the SR-71 was an entirely different class of aircraft - an awesome one - but different with a different mission, and it is of course not operational anymore. Special record flights like the one that you mentioned during which the Streak Eagle briefly reached 103,000 ft or the one in which the Ye-266M (MiG-25M) achieved 123,520 ft (considerably higher than the F-15 by the way) were of course incredible achievements, but those ultimate ceilings were achieved during specially designed climb profiles and with specially modified aircraft during which the aircraft were basically just following a ballistic path for the upper few thousand feet - great records but not representative of the normal useful operational envelopes of the aircraft. What made the SR-71 so impressive in its time, and the MiG-31 still today, is that they could/can regularly operate and perform their missions at those heights, even though it may be much lower than the once-off historical altitude records mentioned above.

As for shooting down satellites - it may not be something new, but even today it is a very difficult challenge and it is a powerful capability to have. It is still a big deal and very few nations possess that capability.

For me, the great visuals were worth the watch anyway - I have been on a couple of "high altitude" test flights before, but nowhere near the heights shown in the video. The ground operations were another fascinating part of the documentary - it is not every day when you get a glimpse of what goes on inside a MiG-31 base.

The guy in the video came off like a used car salesman to me. Nice product, but? 

Taking an airframe to eighty thousand feet is one thing, but your also going to be almost an unguided bullet at the same time! Nothing fast going on when it comes to combat. Still, as I said I like the Mig 31, and also the Mig25. 

Gary

On 10/7/2018 at 7:39 PM, ChesshireCat said:

Gary

15 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

The guy in the video came off like a used car salesman to me. Nice product, but? 

Taking an airframe to eighty thousand feet is one thing, but your also going to be almost an unguided bullet at the same time! Nothing fast going on when it comes to combat. Still, as I said I like the Mig 31, and also the Mig25. 

Gary

giphy.gif

Strange comments at best.