F-15I Ra´am, GWH 1/48

7 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Nice build, Janne! (that's 'til R2D2 raises his ugly head, at least).

Those your glasses in the background, Grandpa? :tease:

Cheers,

Onigiri

Thanx 😄

yeah well my eye sight isn't what it has been...so I'm using reading glasses nowadays 😄

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

yeah well my eye sight isn't what it has been...so I'm using reading glasses nowadays 😄

Oh, never mind, Janne; we all, modellers, are going down that same route, and we're all going to be this big band of blindf**ks! :rofl:

Seriously, it doesn't seem so, but this hobby + the Interwebz play havoc with your eye sight! And I'm just 25...

Cheers,

Onigiri

40 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Oh, never mind, Janne; we all, modellers, are going down that same route, and we're all going to be this big band of blindf**ks! :rofl:

Seriously, it doesn't seem so, but this hobby + the Interwebz play havoc with your eye sight! And I'm just 25...

Cheers,

Onigiri

Hehehe... there comes a time when your arm length starts to hamper your cockpit painting skills 😛

51 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Cheers,

Onigiri

25?.....oh those were good years......

On 2/17/2019 at 4:24 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

25?.....oh those were good years......

Ah, youth. What fun, what stupidity. Any way... had my cataracts removed last year and now my vision is almost 20/20... from about arms length out. Gotta wear readers for anything closer, plus my good old Optivisor for ANY work on models. It soooo much fun getting old. :thumbsup:

On 2/19/2019 at 10:14 PM, Mstor said:

Ah, youth. What fun, what stupidity. Any way... had my cataracts removed last year and now my vision is almost 20/20... from about arms length out. Gotta wear readers for anything closer, plus my good old Optivisor for ANY work on models. It soooo much fun getting old. :thumbsup:

Mark - congrats on your improved eyesight!  I always have to wear the glasses/optivisor now days.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:53 AM, CWILL1117 said:

May I ask what techniques you used to paint such a nice pit?

Anything in particular or just my general pit painting?

I always begin with priming the cockpit in flat black, then I usually go on to greys, paint spots in larger areas. 

Next some detail painting, cables, pipes and black panels. Then a gloss varnish coat and a dark wash.

Following that is dry brushing with ever lighter grays and a final detail painting of knobs and buttons before the finishing flat coat,

On 2/16/2019 at 3:23 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Do you think the gaps between the forward fuselage barrel and the rest of the fuselage were caused by your resin pit?  Kinda surprised by those gaps!

I say most definitely. The Resin Pit for the Revell F-15E by Aires is sized for the Revell kit NOT the GWH. So be forewarned those brave souls willing to muscle one in. I made measurements today comparing the two. The Beige Resin one in the photos below is the Revell cockpit and the Gray is the recently release GWH cockpit. Anyhow, see for yourself.......

wA14tH.jpg

I forgot to zero the caliper first. It actually is 24.90 mm

VdLSeo.jpg

Same thing with this measurement it is actually 24.25 mm

tyP4Ct.jpg

Notice the shape difference of the back of the pits. The Gray pit has the casting block sanded smooth, whereas the Beige (Revell) pit has a very tiny amount (you can see the flash on the bottom) on it.

qkonQ6.jpg

My Apologies for the iPhone photos at the workbench. But, this does make me more confident to use the GWH Aires pit vs. trying to squeeze the Revell pit into a kit it was not designed for.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Explain
8 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I say most definitely. The Resin Pit for the Revell F-15E by Aires is sized for the Revell kit NOT the GWH. So be forewarned those brave souls willing to muscle one in. I made measurements today comparing the two. The Beige Resin one in the photos below is the Revell cockpit and the Gray is the recently release GWH cockpit. Anyhow, see for yourself.......

wA14tH.jpg

I forgot to zero the caliper first. It actually is 24.90 mm

VdLSeo.jpg

Same thing with this measurement it is actually 24.25 mm

tyP4Ct.jpg

Notice the shape difference of the back of the pits. The Gray pit has the casting block sanded smooth, whereas the Beige (Revell) pit has a very tiny amount (you can see the flash on the bottom) on it.

qkonQ6.jpg

My Apologies for the iPhone photos at the workbench. But, this does make me more confident to use the GWH Aires pit vs. trying to squeeze the Revell pit into a kit it was not designed for.

Thanks