Counter Invader

After a long search, I was able to check off one of my 'Holy Grail' kits, the A-26K Counter Invader. I expect it to arrive sometime next week and I was wondering if there is anything I should know about the kit, as in poor fit or major inaccuracies. I'm not a rivet counter, I actually detest that breed of parasite, always nitpicking but never building but I do want to know going in if there are things that need to be corrected by scratch or aftermarket products. I've built enough of the old Airfix A-26B/C kits as 'what if' or ersatz K models so as long as the lines are close and I don't need to do much work I'll be happy. Heck, just getting the kit has made me happy as this is my favorite twin prop plane followed by the Mossie and A-20. I'm also lucky that I have the most wonderful and understanding wife when it comes to my hobbies, my ex would've started a fight the second I would've told her just how much I spent, under $100 but more than $70 US with shipping.

Anyway, if anyone has a heads up for me concerning this kit please let me know what you have. I did read somewhere that the main mounts in real life were from either a KC-97 or KC-135, can't remember which is this true and if so is there a resin wheel set out there?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not checking back in a timely fashion, what I've been thinking of as migraines have turned out to be a couple of mini-strokes which explains my not remembering things correctly or mixing up things I learned long ago. Was told to 'get back on my BP meds and stay on them'. Sux that the doc you go to has known you since he was a med student. Anyway, I'll be looking up that German site so thank you for that. While I would like to do the Congo variant I think I'll play it safe and do the USAF version.

My workshop should be up and running sometime around the first of the year. I found a couple of old wooden school teacher's desks at the local Goodwill for less than $40. My daughter is getting ready to move my kits, bits boxes and the pack ups that have my paints and tools. Before I can put that room together I want to at least paint it since my youngest girl has had that room since she was 10 and the walls show it. Holes for pictures, tape marks from paint and footprints on the wall from when she'd sneak her friends into the room after lights out. My wife and I weren't bad parents but she worked nights and I worked days in a warehouse so I was bone tired at the end of the day so I would hear nothing. Now she's going to have to help fix all the damage so I can have my hobby room. Haven't had one since I left the bachelor pad almost twenty years ago. 

I'm really looking forward to this first build.  

The main wheels did indeed come off KC-135.

If you are talking about the 1/72 Italeri kit, True Detail's produced a set for the A-26K if you can still find them anywhere. 

The rudder and tail cone are wrong in the kit as they represent a WW2/Korea aircraft, not the wider rudder used by the A-26K. Whirlybird Models make a replacement.

Depending accurate you want to be, there was a list going around online a while back as to the corrections to make the the kit a more accurate representation of the "Nimrod"

Si

7 hours ago, HCS-5 AO1 said:

Sorry for not checking back in a timely fashion, what I've been thinking of as migraines have turned out to be a couple of mini-strokes which explains my not remembering things correctly or mixing up things I learned long ago. Was told to 'get back on my BP meds and stay on them'. Sux that the doc you go to has known you since he was a med student. Anyway, I'll be looking up that German site so thank you for that. While I would like to do the Congo variant I think I'll play it safe and do the USAF version.

My workshop should be up and running sometime around the first of the year. I found a couple of old wooden school teacher's desks at the local Goodwill for less than $40. My daughter is getting ready to move my kits, bits boxes and the pack ups that have my paints and tools. Before I can put that room together I want to at least paint it since my youngest girl has had that room since she was 10 and the walls show it. Holes for pictures, tape marks from paint and footprints on the wall from when she'd sneak her friends into the room after lights out. My wife and I weren't bad parents but she worked nights and I worked days in a warehouse so I was bone tired at the end of the day so I would hear nothing. Now she's going to have to help fix all the damage so I can have my hobby room. Haven't had one since I left the bachelor pad almost twenty years ago. 

I'm really looking forward to this first build.  

Man, that's hectic. All the best and please post your build here. 

• 2 years later...

Hi all and sorry about the thread resurrection...

I've questions on how to best get a Farm Gate A-26B in 1/72. I've got 2 Italeri B-26K kits and am happy to build OOB for the camo -K but to build a Farm Gate bird I'm wondering would I be better off using the second kit converted or going for a Korean war era kit.

Ad far as I can tell, I can get a Farm Gate one by leaving off the wingtip tanks and changing the props. I'll already have wing pylons so no need for them, as there would be if I used a WW2 or Korean era kit.

What props do I need and is there anything else i need to do?

Cheers,  Roy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, roym said:

Hi all and sorry about the thread resurrection...

I've questions on how to best get a Farm Gate A-26B in 1/72. I've got 2 Italeri B-26K kits and am happy to build OOB for the camo -K but to build a Farm Gate bird I'm wondering would I be better off using the second kit converted or going for a Korean war era kit.

Ad far as I can tell, I can get a Farm Gate one by leaving off the wingtip tanks and changing the props. I'll already have wing pylons so no need for them, as there would be if I used a WW2 or Korean era kit.

What props do I need and is there anything else i need to do?

Cheers,  Roy.

Roy,

I think the Farm Gate Invaders were pretty much basic WWII/Korea airframes minus turrets but with underwing hardpoints added.   The B-26K Counter Invaders were pretty changed from your basic bone stock Invaders.   The Air Force started to loose the Farm Gate planes due to wing failures so OnMark did the upgrades and came up with the -K Counter Invaders.   You could convert one of your -K's but if you can find the standard A-26B or C or maybe see if someone might be willing to trade you for one of your -K kits it would make for less work on your part.  

Check out this gentleman's artwork.   Really nice stuff and covers several Farm Gate Invaders.   Painting : "Douglas B-26C, RB-26C and RB-26L Invader (Map #2)" (Original art by Hubert Cance)

Edited by Drifterdon