AFV F-5E/F (MIG-28) 1/48

XfyBGEi.jpg

This is going to be my first attempt at scale model aircraft in probably the last 20 years. I recently got back into the hobby (after I found an unfinished Tamiya Tiger I from almost 2 decades ago...which then led to 2 more Tigers, a Panther, and a Stug build) and now I wanted to get back to where it all began. After recently seeing Top Gun, for only god knows what time, I figured this would be the perfect place to start. I initially wanted to dive right into the Tomcat, especially after seeing the new Tamiya kits, but I decided to slow it down a bit and try at something simpler (and cheaper), in case I really screw something up. Which brings me to the "MIG-28".

After some quick searches, it seemed that the AFV kit is one of the better/newer ones out there so I made the jump and scooped it up. After opening the box and going through some sprues, it seems that there would need to be some aftermarket additions; primarily the ejection seat (the one in the kit is pretty anemic) from Quickboost, some canopy decals (seals) from Furball, Quickboost flight stick,  and lastly maybe (maybe not) some AIM-9L/M's as the ones included in the kit are the P variant. Not really sure why they went with the P variant when, even on the box, they clearly show the L/M variant (also seen in the movie).

Anyway, this will probably be a slow roller due to work schedule, but I will do my best to keep it going.

Here is what I've done so far. 

Started working on the cockpit...holy cow, I think my eyeballs are bleeding. I might have to invest in some magnifiers at 33 years old. Primed everything with MMP Grey primer. The base coat is MMP Aircraft Grey FS16473, the black is Tamiya XF-85 Tire Black. Now, looking at some other images scale model and limited real in-cockpit shots, I'm thinking the Aircraft Grey is too light...what do you guys think? I may have to give them a wash with some oils/panel liner.

Yd8L7Py.jpg

To be Continued....

It is a lighter gray than the actual aircraft, but it's not uncommon to see modellers use a lighter grey in cockpits because it doesn't get much light in there and a lighter paint increases contrast and makes it fit closer to viewer's expectations. I would leave the paint as is, and do a light wash to sharpen up the edges.

27 minutes ago, EightyDuce said:

Thanks for the feedback fellas! Quick followup question...what do you guys suggest for the color for the radar scope (preferably from the Tamiya line)?

Hi, Good start. And I can offer you this link - https://www.ebay.com/sch/sena-computers/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

It is already possible to get in USA. Very fast delivery.

Edited by Jack132698

Got the chance to plug away at the cockpit a bit yesterday. Still Waiting for the Quickboost seat to finish it off....though I think I will keep the seat and the canopy mechanism out of there until closer to the end of the build to make it easier to mast things off for the main paint job. 

After scouring the internet, I think what helped me the most was firing up DCS World in VR and "researching" the cockpit from there...gotta love technology. Also, shameless plug for DCS, but I can't wait for their Tomcat!

Anyway, enough jabbering, here are some shots of the progress (I will apologize in advance, my photography skills are even worse than my modeling/painting skills):

dvrslwc.jpg

----------

QSNCTHm.jpg

------- 

Holy lint, batman!!!!

aUJA4kV.jpg

--------

FYQNmuc.jpg

That's it for now. Going to be working on the main body next....my eyes need to take some time off. 

PS. I just realized there are those gaps between the panels and the tub.....going to have to address that somehow. Ugh, first model growing pains...live and learn.

Edited by EightyDuce

In other news, while the glue was setting, did some internet perusing and came across his gem....a video of Sundowners at an Airshow in Key West, FL a couple of years back. Some jaw-dropping flying and some good "modeling material."

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/watch-this-f-5-squadron-give-the-blue-angels-a-run-for-1769911437   -- scroll to about middle of the page.

Anyway, back to the workbench.

Busy work week, so haven't had really any time to work on this puppy. Good news is that other than the cockpit, this thing goes together nice and easy and the only "issues" that I experienced were "user error" variety. 

How this happened? Good question, I think I just blacked out for a second. The right intake (on the left lol)....this thing was bad luck from the get-go. Clipping it off the etch sprue, it plinked off into the twilight zone, so I let out a colorful adjective, a sigh, rolled back my chair back and get on all fours to start  my grid search. Good news, I found it very quickly; bad news is that when I rolled my chair back, I ran over it and mangled it all up. Fast forward, I managed to straighten it best I could (terrible job btw....there has to be a good way of doing this) and glue it in place. Aaaaand it wasn't straight. I think I need to find a different glue for photo etch, something that has a slightly longer dry time (not instant as it  is now). I thought about leaving it be, but every time I saw it, my OCD fired off  and I just couldn't take it anymore...so I pulled it off. It was REALLY on there so it took some force to get it off and it got beat up some more; then I had to clean out all dry glue residue that was built up in the cavity. Lessons learned; slow down and pay attention!

16IyxMq.jpg

After that whole ordeal, the build moved quickly and nearly effortless.

AoceN3Y.jpg

More to come this weekend.

Edited by EightyDuce
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...