Cobra Company 1/35 UH-1B Backdate set #35008

Long shot but who dares, wins! Casting a wide net to see if anyone has this in their stash. I know Chris stopped producing it before he quit the business and I doubt Lone Star has the molds of this. Plus he barely has any of Cobra Company's stuff up on his website anyway.

UH-1B+Backdate+set+for+MRC+UH-1C.jpg

Trade or buy outright.

Thanks for any help in getting this.

Is this for the kit that was just re-released by Revell Germany in europe? If so, you should contact Mike at Lone Star as he said he got all the masters (not molds) from Cobra and you could point out that it might be a good time to run this set again as he said he intends to release everything eventually but you might be able to talk him into moving this up in the circumstances.....

P.S. You could point out that Hannants have already sold out of their first shipment so the kit looks to be popular....

Edited by RCAFFAN

This set was discontinued by Cobra Company because the rotors were incorrect (wrong chord width) and the resin would droop unless it was reinforced with a stiff wire. Trying to insert a wire into the mold become a real problem and coupled with the other factors did not prove to be viable. One may certainly try their hand at fixing this but It will be daunting. And yes, Mike West has the masters be he also knows of the problems so it may affect whether or not he revives the set.

Chris M

Thank you for the responses. Yes masters is what I meant, not molds. Not afraid of the challenge to correct and hopefully Mike will cast the set for me. I'll reach out to Mike. It's a special project for a veteran.

Also Mike does have much more available now at LSM which is good news for us all! Thanks Chris also for your excellent work. It's a pretty big compliment people are still after your work.

• 3 weeks later...

You can also look for the Seminar kit of the UH-1 to mate with the MRC kit. I have started this about 10 years ago, but stopped as my skill level wasn't up to snuff, but I will resurrect one of these days

We have talked about the resin blades a bunch in the past. What about instead of resin they where Vaccumformed? That would take care of any weight or bending issues? I don't recall if that was pro/con'ed in the past.

Synchronicity as I just picked up the Seminar kit yesterday. Now the wait for it to arrive from beautiful France.

Seminar+UH-1B.jpg

The blade chord needs to also be corrected besides using the right material to cast them in. The UH-1B had a 44 ft main rotor blade with a 21 inch chord (thanks again Ray. The only UH-1B in my AO is on a water survival training tower that is off limits).  My understanding is the backdate set scaled to 25 inch chord since Chris based his off the Seminar kit. Once it's in I'll check the OOB scale of the main rotors.

To solve the resin issues I'll be using a Laminating resin from Smooth-On with added poly-fiber or glass in it for strength. It's an industrial strength resin used to create indestructible lightweight parts for composite applications.

Edited by snake36bravo

Resin casting runs the gamut from simple stuff from Alumalite  or Micromark to high tec two part systems. Most products from Smooth On are for more advanced casting that requires vacuum and pressure at various points. Even those products that don't require vac or pressure are for explicit purposes and can be frustrating to use. More advanced measures for making blades are expensive and some like Hi Def printing have to be reinforced at the hub because that is where the weight gets concentrated. I have taken the Panda/Dragon series of UH-1D's or UH-1N's and modified the blades for the UH-1B's I have built. Takes a little time but it's not hard. Vacuum forming could require making several layers of plastic that have to be laminated.

Good Luck!

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake