F-111D Camo pattern

Calling @mrvark, @ElectroSoldier and @Raptor01. Any of you guys have a nice clear line drawing of the camo pattern for a D?

I've found a few on line but they are less than easy to see. I came across an Academy F-111A for cheap, swapped to TPII intakes and I'm building it as a D out of Cannon for a co-worker. I know the pattern varied between A model and D so the paint guide is useless.

This is the best I can find.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

7ERvnF.jpg

Edited by Hooker169

1 hour ago, AV O said:

The scheme you show is an  F-111E from Upper Heyford.

You may find some photos from Cannon AFB:

http://f-111.net/t_no_D.htm

I think the pattern should be the same, right?

I was reading something Jim wrote on a previous thread mentioning the demarcation on the state-side birds were masked so they’re hard and crisp while the Euro jets were soft and done by hand so that should help.

Thanks

According to the pictures, it seems that the general layout is similar but it may slightly change from one aircraft to another :

http://f-111.net/t_no_D_files/F-111D-68-0096-524th-TFS.jpg

http://f-111.net/t_no_D_files/F-111D-68-0093.jpg

http://f-111.net/t_no_D_files/F-111D-68-107.jpg

http://f-111.net/t_no_D_files/F-111D-68-0116.jpg

Edited by AV O

Mountain Home  Idaho F-111A’s scheme were a little different.  They were the original A models from Harvest Reaper, Combat Lancer deployments to Vietnam.  Colors are the same, pattern is a little different and I believe the only ones with a black anti-glare panel.  I think the Cannon D models had a harder edge on the pattern like the Aussie C models,  Upper Heyford E’s & Lakenheath F’s had a softer edge.  SAC Dark Vark pattern had a soft edge.   Funny enough I remember overspray and some grit in the paint in places, something you would not want on a model!  😂 

John

Sorry for hijacking this question, I bought the Italeri kit F-111A (Hasegawa kits are very very rare and expensive) and I am thinking if the black color used for undersurface is gloss, matt or satin (similar to revell 301)? I saw some pictures of real planes partially on internet, partially in the books and it seems, at least for me, it is satin.

Thank you for the advice

8 minutes ago, Jan_CZ said:

Sorry for hijacking this question, I bought the Italeri kit F-111A (Hasegawa kits are very very rare and expensive) and I am thinking if the black color used for undersurface is gloss, matt or satin (similar to revell 301)? I saw some pictures of real planes partially on internet, partially in the books and it seems, at least for me, it is satin.

Thank you for the advice

No worries. That's a good question, I sprayed my belly in Model Master aircraft interior black which is flat but I can add a satin coat later if need be.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:26 PM, Mstor said:

Except for the belly colour (grey or black), these two schemes look similar. (Isn't it the same with only the legend change ?)

forgot to get back and thank you guys. I used, for the most part, the first reference I pictured above along with various actual aircraft pictures.

68-0180 the F-111D I’m modeling doesn’t have many pics on the web but reading back through the ARC archives I was able to cobble together the scheme with some interesting tidbits. Such as the stateside -111’s pattern were generally masked when painted at depot and Europe -111’s were hand sprayed hence the hard vs soft edge between colors.

Also, behind the WSO canopy the tan patter sometimes resembles a part of the female anatomy and is often “enhanced” by depot technicians or crew chiefs. ( I added that feature but toned it down, it’s a family show for cripes sake)

Below shows what I came up with.

vXXnW7.jpg

Sorry for the dark pictures, these are off my IPhone. Basically its the Academy kit OOB with the exception of Ozmods wheels (completely worth it), some cockpit photo etch. I scratched nose gear taxi and landing lights and extended the nose strut by almost 1/8 inch. I also raised the main gear a bit so it doesn’t sit so low.

Thanks for the help gents(you know who you are):cheers:

vYNCpJ.jpg

W3frCT.jpg

bJOWAC.jpg

ATA0BQ.jpg

Edited by Hooker169
  • 2 months later...

Wow, great looking ‘Vark! Not enough of these built in my opinion. 

Do F-111s have their wings extended when parked? Space wise, I’d like to have mine with the wings swept with canopy open. Possible?

Edited by jester292

Interesting topic. In the 70s thru 90s time frame, i never saw any usaf tactical jet with a hard edge camo including cannon’s ‘111s. I was in TAC and AFSC  in a flight test unit AT Holloman. We had two ‘’111s of our own and I saw the cannon jets frequently. They were generally kept freshly painted/touched-up like all TAC jets of that period. On recovery wings were left forward with high lift devices extended to facillitate inspection. That was a very common configuration on the ground. In fact, we rarely swept the wings except for hangering in a tight space.