Tarangus/Special Hobby updated Viggen kit

I have started to see the Tarangus JA-37 and Special Hobby AJ-37 kits being re-released as an "Updated Version". From the listing on Hobbyeasy  "We are reproducing the shape closer to actual machine with newly designed injection parts".  Anyone have any info on what has changed? I wonder if one could order the "new" sprues. I have a SH AJ-37?

Here the Hobbyeasy listing:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10562954

Seller's name on German eBay was mabilb but in the feedback for my purchase they put 3W Specialhobbu.eu.

It currently seems to be out-of-stock here: https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Flugzeuge/Flugzeuge-1-48/Zubehoer-Figuren/Umbausaetze/SAAB-Viggen-Upgrade-for-TAR4803-TAR4807

Future release here: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TARSPRUE

HTH

Edited by Phantom726
1 hour ago, Phantom726 said:

The new sprue is available from various sources. I got mine from a seller on German eBay a few months ago.

s-l1600.jpg

That's a sprue for the JA version. Looks like they corrected the rudder and the canards. There also appears to be new APU parts and, I think, some new fuselage intake vents and a new under fuselage fin. I know the rudder and canards were incorrect in the original release. I looked at the pics on the Special Hobby site, but they are the same as the those on Hobbyeasy and I can't tell what they changed in the AJ version. Thanks for the links though. Good to know they corrected the JA.

Edited by Mstor

the new sprue is from their SK-37E kit. so it has the JA-37 tail.... and AJ-37 canards.(but barely noticeable)

but as i'm the owner of a few of those kits, i'll take two... when i'll find it!

4 hours ago, mingwin said:

the new sprue is from their SK-37E kit. so it has the JA-37 tail.... and AJ-37 canards.(but barely noticeable)

but as i'm the owner of a few of those kits, i'll take two... when i'll find it!

That makes sense. The Modellbau listing says it is for kits 4803 and 4807. They are the original JA kit and the SH/SF kit. Both would need the corrected tail. All the kits, AJ included need new canards. Since I already have aftermarket for everything I need for the AJ, I will pass on this I think.

The separate sprue haven't been release yet, hence listed as "out of stock" with Hannants and many other retailers. ("Out of stock" is the term used also for items yet to be released by the manufacturer)

23 minutes ago, Niels said:

The separate sprue haven't been release yet, hence listed as "out of stock" with Hannants and many other retailers. ("Out of stock" is the term used also for items yet to be released by the manufacturer)

Phantom726 said he got his a few of months ago on eBay.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

That makes sense. The Modellbau listing says it is for kits 4803 and 4807. They are the original JA kit and the SH/SF kit. Both would need the corrected tail. All the kits, AJ included need new canards. Since I already have aftermarket for everything I need for the AJ, I will pass on this I think.

I guess that means I need to order one. I ordered my SH/SF37 Viggen (Kit TA4807) a few months ago from an overseas shop. Good thing I haven't started on it yet.

Larry

41 minutes ago, Niels said:

From the listing at Hannants and comments on amongst others Tarangus own site I understand the separate sprue is a fairly new addition? 

It was new to me. First I heard of it was in Phantom726's post. Just recently saw the listings about the "updated" kits.

5 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I just ordered my sprue from Rebell Hobby. Its SKU is TA480M, in case anybody is interested

Rebell hobby are great to deal with. I placed an order with them and even though the owner was on vacation, he processed the order and had his help ship it and I got it 3 or 4 days later. That's from Sweden to Wisconsin.

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

Rebell hobby are great to deal with. I placed an order with them and even though the owner was on vacation, he processed the order and had his help ship it and I got it 3 or 4 days later. That's from Sweden to Wisconsin.

They are great, I have ordered from them a few times before. I just got the payment link email from them and paid online. Looking forward to getting the parts sprue.

Larry

36 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Are the Tarangus and Special Hobby Viggens exactly the same kit...? :hmmm:

Well, yes and no. Special Hobby released the AJ version, Tarangus released the JA and some other versions. Same molds but with some different parts thrown in by Tarangus. So, not "exactly" the same.

Essentially this kit is a collaboration between the 2 companies, and when you compare the sprues, those sprues who are common across the various versions (JA vs AJ etc) are the same. 

• 1 month later...

Upon reading this here in ARC, I sent an email to Special Hobby/MPM enquiring about the possibility of purchasing the sprue from them.  No reply.  Spoke with a chap on the Special Hobby stand at Telford, and he was making a mountain out of a mole hill - he would need to design and make a box, and make instructions for the new sprue - sounded like he didn't want to do it.  Well, Monday afternoon (yes, the day after Telford), I emailed Max from Rebell Hobby asking if I could purchase said sprue.  The reply was prompt, and yes, 65 Swedish Kronor for the sprue plus 57 SEK for postage to the UK.  Today the package was in the post.  If you want this sprue, don't waste your time with Special Hobby - Max delivers.

Jens