Early NASA F-104's

Currently building a NASA F-104 in the early paint scheme with the red/orange and yellow markings on the fin, wings and nose.  Looking at photos I believe that the red/orange and yellow were Day-Glo.  The yellow on the nose on some photos has a very slightly greenish tint to it indicative of the Day-Glo yellow.  The yellow on the nose is also lighter than the yellow on the NASA fin flash, which I believe to be the standard yellow.  The use of Day-Glo would match USAF/USN usage of Day-Glo colors during this time period.  Anyone have any knowledge on this or opinions?  

Hi aircal62

I am a big fan of modeling the different aircraft flown by NASA and have looked at a lot of photos of NASA's F-104s in the early paint scheme. I don't believe that they were painted in Day-Glo type paints. I am convinced that they were painted in the red orange and yellow as seen in the photos. I think the yellow on the nose is the same as the NASA tail band and the red orange is the same color that was being used on a lot of the Edwards AFB aircraft at the time.  Looking at the photos that are available, I don't see any indication that the yellow band is lighter than the tail band.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

53 minutes ago, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Hi aircal62

I am a big fan of modeling the different aircraft flown by NASA and have looked at a lot of photos of NASA's F-104s in the early paint scheme. I don't believe that they were painted in Day-Glo type paints. I am convinced that they were painted in the red orange and yellow as seen in the photos. I think the yellow on the nose is the same as the NASA tail band and the red orange is the same color that was being used on a lot of the Edwards AFB aircraft at the time.  Looking at the photos that are available, I don't see any indication that the yellow band is lighter than the tail band.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Correct.

I can’t offer an informed opinion on the paint, but another decal option exists in the F-104 NASA boxing released by Hasegawa in the early 2000’s...https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/preview/hasegawa/09427.htm

It might be hard to find, but the Cartograf decals included in this edition appear to be very well done and provide markings for early bare metal finish Zipper.

Rich

Edited by RichB63
8 hours ago, RichB63 said:

I can’t offer an informed opinion on the paint, but another decal option exists in the F-104 NASA boxing released by Hasegawa in the early 2000’s...https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/preview/hasegawa/09427.htm

It might be hard to find, but the Cartograf decals included in this edition appear to be very well done and provide markings for early bare metal finish Zipper.

Rich

Looks like it had the markings for aircraft 011 in the second photo posted by AV O. Will have to keep an eye out for this kit. Thanks!