Fujimi 1/24 scale Ferrari 330 P4

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, Ben Brown said:

Looking good! :worship:

Ben

Ben,

So sorry I missed your post. Thanks for sticking in my corner throughout the build. It's much appreciated.

Joel

Well, another week and time for my next update on the 330 P4.

Since my last update where decaling was finally finished, and the Mr. Hobby/Mr. Color Clear Lacquer applied. I was really happy with how the clearcoat self leveled as I used their proprietary leveling thinner. As expected there is some slight Orange peel, and the shine wasn't as deep as I had wanted. So the final phase of the paint process was about to commence. 

I very carefully with a lite touch, started to polish out the clearcoat with Tamiya 3,000 sponge wet, and washed off the residue as I went along. When I was finished with the wet sanding the decals looked more like they were painted on, but in all honesty, the IndyCal decals looked darn good before I wet sanded them. 

Next up was the 3 part Gravity polishing system. When I was finally done, I just stared at the shell. I've never achieved a finish like this before. 

But there's a lot of dried residue in the recessed panel lines, so I used a wet (with water only) Q-tip, but most of it still remained.  So I got out my Iwata M1 AB, and simply air brushed close up those panel lines with plain old water. Cleaned all the recessed lines in two min. flat. the shell dried by the time I had cleaned the AB and put it ,as these days I use a pair of Grex ABs. 

The Final step was the 1st of two coats of Gravity's synthetic wax.  The end result was a shine even deeper then before. 

The last coat & water rinse will be after the shell is installed on the chassis, but before the glass is glued into place. 

I do have some raise areas and edges that will need touch up with Red or aluminum paint. Those spots will be dealt with by using an artist's extra fine tip magic marker.

Here's a few pictures of where I'm at now.

Thanks for stopping by,

Joel

aQ4V1u.jpg

WLTtoM.jpg

aFtQ9N.jpg

1Lp1t1.jpg

ZcNZ98.jpg

ek9Z0l.jpg

XdMubu.jpg

Edited by Joel_W
1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Joel,

You are certainly doing that beautiful car justice! I'm still taking notes for when I build mine. 😁

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  My only issue with the kit is the engine covering plate which is 100% fictitious, and looks the part. There is a AM engine for it, but it's sold out. I'm getting their engine for the Fujimi Ford GT40 MK1, but they don't make one for the MkII car. 

Joel

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

BEAUTIFUL build!

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I have a question Joel if you happen to notice this (or anyone for that matter) I've been working off and on on this kit and I noticed you said that the engine cover they have to hide the missing engine is fictitious. All of the images I can find of the P4's with the clear glass rear end actually do have an engine cover similar to what's in the kit. I've even found some pics on a 330 fan page from the 67 Lemans and they show the car to have a cover. Am I looking at the wrong car? Does anyone have images with this car without the cover? In my case I'm using an engine from the Fujimi Daytona Spyder kit and opening the rear deck but I'd still like to have it accurate as much as I can. Thanks!

Bill