Decal Softener Residue

I noticed with both Tamiya and Solvaset the decal softener sometimes leaves a white residue.  I usually can make it disappear with more future.  But I am finding it is not working on a model that I have a flat coat on.  Any ideas?  I am wondering whether I should sand around the decal.

Thanks

Edited by Blain
On 10/14/2018 at 12:08 AM, Blain said:

I noticed with both Tamiya and Solvaset the decal softener sometimes leaves a white residue.  I usually can make it disappear with more future.  But I am finding it is not working on a model that I have a flat coat on.  Any ideas?  I am wondering whether I should sand around the decal.

Thanks

Try spraying some gloss (whatever you used  before) and when-thoroughly-dry, hit it again with your dullcoat. 

After decaling and, before I proceed to the next step, I take a soft rag moistened in warm water and gently wipe the areas around the decals to get rid of anything left behind from the setting solutions.

Steve

3 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

After decaling and, before I proceed to the next step, I take a soft rag moistened in warm water and gently wipe the areas around the decals to get rid of anything left behind from the setting solutions.

Steve

This.

I may also add a very tiny amount (a drop) of dish soap into the warm water as well. Don't over do it however.

I found that the Gunze solutions reacted with Klear/Future to leave marks. I could usually get rid of it under a matt coat. But I stopped using Klear/Future and now I use whichever gloss is made by the same manufacturer as the decal solution.

Jon

For future I have tried mixing in a bit of Windex to thin and increase the flow. But, I have since switched to Tamiya clear and the Swiss army knife of thinner "Mr. Leveling Thinner". I did see that Tamiya will be coming out with their very own equivalent ( Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (Retarder Type) )  for their lacquer based line of paints. I would bet it will work fine with their water based acrylic line just as their X-20 Lacquer thinner does.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley