Hey all, 

Well, I’m back.  Hadn’t touched a helicopter model in seven or eight years.  Between flying and trying to build the most accurate AH-64 I could, I kinda got burned out. 

Work has had me working on a 1:1 UH-1M and an AH-1S, and the interest got piqued again. So I’ve pulled out a bunch.  Been working on my AH-1 evolution in 1:48 and making steady progress. 

From front to rear in the photo are my AH-1F, AH-1P, AH-1S and AH-1G. 

More soon!

Jon

8E0911A2-710F-4939-A9C4-9813C4441436.jpeg

Not done yet, but I still have it. It’ll get done someday.  I’m making a conscious effort to finish all of the helicopters I started.  Right now, that’s 10 Cobras, 3 Huey gunships, a Guns-a-GoGo Chinook, two MH-60s, two AH-64s, an HH-3C, R-4B, R-5G, two UH-2s, and an MH-65C. Well, the Mh-65 kinda bit the dust, but I’ve still got the Cobra Company interior for it....

I’ve got a QUH-1M target drone that will be going in my MANPADS exhibit here.  She had an extensive combat history in Vietnam with the 92nd AHC, and so while she will be painted as a drone, her nose will carry a recreation of the nose art she flew with in Vietnam, and she will be nosing over into our Vietnam gallery to add a little additional context.  

The Cobra I’m working on getting here is for the Field Artillery Museum and will be the core of their Aerial Rocket Artillery exhibit.  67-15654 flew with 2/1 Cav and A/4-77th ARA in Vietnam.  She was badly damaged during the March 1971 sapper attack at Khe Sanh and was sent back to Corpus for a rebuild.  She was turned into an S(MOD) and was most recently in the Minnesota Military Museum Collection. She’ll be headed here shortly and backdated to a G model at least visually.  

As for books, I’ve done two on P-47s recently.  Just did an article on Sherman dozer tanks for Armor Journal, and I’ve got a few things in the works.  I’ll be doing a lot more writing in the future...

... and building helicopters!

j

Thanks!  Not sure about Hueys right now.  I’ve been focused on WW2 tactical Air power, specifically tactical recon and close air support.  Have a few things in the works there, but hadn’t planned anything more Vietnam-wise just yet 

Welcome back Jon. Long time, no talk to. Hope you get back to being a regular on here like you were years ago. Alot of new helo models out. You'll like Floyd's latest project. Should be available soon.

It's a 1/32 AH-1F conversion set I think.

Tim

Rob,

She’s 65-09418, flew as “War Lord” in Vietnam. John Boyd was her AC and James Reed CE. I’m in contact with both of them.  

418 is currently in the paint shop, but when she comes out, I will repaint her Vietnam nose art on her. 

Tim, 

You bet.  Floyd and I have kept in contact throughout my time here.  It used to be a lot easier with us both in Maryland, but we speak on a semi-regular basis.  In fact, his Nightstalkers Part 2 decal sheet just arrived here yesterday!