Shelf of Doom Rescue - Petter Solberg Subaru Impreza WRC Monte Carlo '05 - Completed!

Hello ARC,

Joel's recent car builds prompted me to resurrect my sole remaining shelf of doom project.
I bought and started her in 2008 and she was progressing fine until I polished through the clear coat and gave up in frustration.

I'd reckon that she is about 3/4 done.

Here are some pictures of her as she sat for the past 10 years.

I9bhBnN.jpg

hmF57AR.jpg

Most of the details underneath will be hidden when I install the skid plates. At least I'll have this picture. 😂

k1ayPbs.jpg

The interior is largely complete.

WR57V0O.jpg

Va2BsiC.jpg

All the stuff I have yet to do.

goGIAH5.jpg

Doesn't look like much but  as usual, I think it's going to take a while.

-co

Edited by CaptainObvious

Good to see more rally cars here!

These metallic blue Subarus always look beautiful - this too. I've made one of the non-blues too (Legacy in original factory colours), but in my stash I also have one earlier Impreza for Juha Kankkunen and I guess I've got to get a later type for Mäkinen's car as well. 

I really love that detailed office!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:54 AM, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful paint job! I love Subaru's metallic blue. The interior looks fantastic, too!

Ben

Thanks Ben!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:41 AM, janman said:

Good to see more rally cars here!

These metallic blue Subarus always look beautiful - this too. I've made one of the non-blues too (Legacy in original factory colours), but in my stash I also have one earlier Impreza for Juha Kankkunen and I guess I've got to get a later type for Mäkinen's car as well. 

I really love that detailed office!

Thanks for the kind words Janman. I love rally cars.

Now that you have finished your big Russian bomber, perhaps you can consider doing one from your stash too.
-co

12 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

Now that you have finished your big Russian bomber, perhaps you can consider doing one from your stash too.
-co

Actually, I've been doing them for years side by side with aircraft kits. They all have been presented here on ARC as well (with WIPs too). At the moment I'm building a Martini Lancia.

11 hours ago, janman said:

Actually, I've been doing them for years side by side with aircraft kits. They all have been presented here on ARC as well (with WIPs too). At the moment I'm building a Martini Lancia.

I saw your amazing Rothmans Porsche 956 but haven't seen your rally cars.
So I checked them out.
OMG! More fantastic work! You added so much detail and I really like all of them.
But if I had to pick, the
Fiat 131 Abarth and the Lancia Rally 037 are my absolute favourites. I can't say enough about them. REALLY NICE!

Looking forward to your Martini Lancia.

-co

PS. I think you may have caused me to increase my stash.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, pg265 said:

Hi,

Beautiful details and great paint job!

Pascal

Thanks for dropping in Pascal. She's just an OOB build that I hope to get finished.
She's been sitting on the shelf so long that some of the remaining decals shattered when I tried applying them.

I've ordered replacement decals but the local Tamiya distributor said they may take months to get here.
Meanwhile I'm working on some of the other areas and hope to put up an update soon.

Cheers!

-co

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

It is way past due for an update.

These past few month have seen me losing my mojo and only stubbornness keeps me working on her in short spurts.

All masked up for painting the rubber trim.
EG8fHci.jpg

Installed the skid plates. Sadly it covered up some of the drive train details.
ZTlzjp0.jpg

Front lights, radiator and intercooler installed. The Subaru badge is shattered decal that I had put back as best I could. I may have a backup plan to replace that.
4sOhGHn.jpg

tkZH827.jpg

Tail lights and that monstrous rear wing installed too. Ugh, missed some polish residue. I'll take care of that in short order.
SzEPreQ.jpg

Almost done.
xSCmqGa.jpg

Thanks for stopping by folks!
-co

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I'm very happy to have finally finished this kit. It only took me 11 years. 😅
The decals were the most frustrating part of the experience. Thick and brittle, they fought me all the way. 

Here she is, my very last project from my shelf of doom.

c7NYCRG.jpg

kSquNBE.jpg

T7VZqGA.jpg

k1MIDfX.jpg

NY4j099.jpg

No more half built kits from now on!

Or so I hope. 

Thanks for stopping by folks!

-co

• CaptainObvious changed the title to Shelf of Doom Rescue - Petter Solberg Subaru Impreza WRC Monte Carlo '05 - Completed!