Airliner conversions - Canadair & Douglas

•  
  • Members
  • 98 posts

We are going to be busy, because there are two 'families' of conversions being developed concurrently, the Canadair series for the Mach 2 Britannia together with the DC-7 family for the Heller DC-6.

To summarize the complete series, they are:

CANADAIR

TWC72029 . . . . . . . . . . CC-107 Yukon conversion - Tyne engines

TWC72030 . . . . . . . . . . CL-44 D conversion - Tyne engines

TWC72031 . . . . . . . . . . CL-44 J conversion - Tyne engines

TWC72032 . . . . . . . . . . CP-106 Argus conversion - 3350 turbo-compound engines

TWC72033 . . . . . . . . . . Britannia - accurate wing tips

DOUGLAS DC-7

TWC72034 . . . . . . . . . . DC-7 & 7B conversion - 3350 turbo-compound engines

TWC72035 . . . . . . . . . . DC-7 non-radar nose

TWC72036 . . . . . . . . . . DC-7 over-wing saddle tanks

TWC72037 . . . . . . . . . . DC-7C conversion - 3350 turbo-compound engines

The box art can be found on the Hannants web site if you search for the TWC..... part numbers.

Edited by tnuag
Format

Neil, do your conversion sets also include decals? I would love to build an Argus to go with a Hasegawa CP-140 Aurora, but Bill at CanMilAir announced over two months ago that he is out of the decal business,  so that is one more challenge to overcome if decals are not in the set. R/ Dutch.

No, the sets will not include decals, but laser printed decals will be available separately in the TWL range from Hannants (TWL = Transport Wings Livery).

Three reasons:

1 - The conversion will be complicated, and therefore costly, so the modeller can "spread the financial load"

2 - The two products require completely different packaging.

3 - We stopped putting decals in with kits years ago and produced a range of markings so the modeller can have a choice..

• 3 weeks later...

Neil,  Do you think that your CL-28 Argus parts, engines/props, radomes, etc will fit the Execuform 1/72 CL-28 Argus 2 kit?  If I can find one, I will give it a try.  I have your Argus conversion on backorder from Hannants.  R/ Dutch

I don't know anything about the Execuform vacform kit. Our conversion is specifically for the Mach 2 Britannia, so cannot comment - sorry Dutch.

For the record, there are two families of conversions developing side by side (not to mention Dove, Cessna 310 variants and decals). The first one to appear will probably be the Yukon - this is the only one not using transparent resin parts.

It was the 3350 Turbo Compound engines which were the link between the two lots of conversions.

Neil,

I understand the two different families of conversions and that the R-3350 is the link.  I also agree that it is smart to do the CC-106 Yukon first because of the clear resin parts.   [BTW, the correct designation is CC-106 Yukon and CP-107 Argus above, though you did list them correctly on the Hannants website.]  How long before you anticipate releasing the CP-107 Argus set?

I also look forward to the Rug Rat Resin 1/72 Cessna 310A/B family of kits, especially the U-3A Blue Canoe (RR7203003). I have tried to order one from Hannants earlier this year [unsuccessfully], then tried to backorder one [also unsuccessfully].  They do show two Cessna 310A/B civil kits (RR7203002) in stock, but I would need the U-3A decals.  Do you plan on re-releasing the U-3A kit soon?  

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

1 - I never give anticipated release dates because it then becomes a deadline and takes much of the pleasure out of the design process. If you rush things you also make mistakes.

2 - There is much more to the 310 family of kits than A & B - these are currently available on the Hannants web site:

Cessna 310 A/B    https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RR7203002
                  Cessna 310D        https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RR7203004

Cessna U-3A         https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RR7203007

I intend sending the files for SLA today for the 310F and U-3B plus 310G. and these should be available before the end of this year.

The current U-3A has US Navy and Forestry Service decals because the original USAF decals ran out.

Neil,

I couldn't agree more on point #1.  I will patiently await the release of the Argus conversion.  I am glad to see that you are expanding the Cessna 310 line-up!  Pitty that you have sold out of the USAF decals, because your U-3A decals have the exact serial number I need for my NH ANG project. Is there any chance you have one spare set lying around?

Cheers!

Dutch

The only reason the 310 series came into being is because  I knew the Cessna agents in Rhodesia. I spent all my school holidays in their hangar and was flying in something every two or three weeks during my high school years.

Would a laser printed set of U-3A decals help?

Incidentally, the parts for the 310F, U-3B, and 310G are being delivered tomorrow This ends the  310 series.

Edited by tnuag
Afterthought

Neil, Yes, laser printed decals will work.  How shall I order?  Direct from you?  Not sure how to coordinate with Hannants. I can order the U-3A kit with USN & USFS decals and you provide the USAF decals as well, or just substitute them?  Kindest regards, Dutch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An update is long overdue, so here goes:

If everything goes to plan, the Douglas conversions should be available in February and the Canadair conversions nominally a month later.

I am also considering a supplementary set for the Argus, to give open weapons bays. 

As an aside, decal sets for the A model   Dove plus Meteor BVRAAM in 1:72 and 1:48 versions at Hannants by the weekend.

The photo shows the engine core for the Wright turbo cyclone engines for the DC- and Canadair Argus. I did it this way to simplify painting.

3350--4.JPG

Neil, 

Great news!  Look forward to the release schedule in a few months.  I should have some additional funds by then, so great timing.

Nice Wright Turbo Compound engine block with cylinders.  Should satisfy the needs of basic modelers and allow the advanced modelers room for adding detail. Can't wait to see the rest of the items.  BTW, was the engine cast or 3-D printed?

R/

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Hi Dutch,

That is a master for the engine core and was produced using stereolithography.

This is the engine graphic from the assembly instructions and shows the option of open or closed gills.

382146750_3350exploded.jpg.d95fd3f1046fe1da1abf4ff9b2a39c10.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Neil,

The R-3350s look great!  I see you have the four blade props for the DC-7 also in the drawing.  Will those be included as well?  And will the three blade props be included for the CL-28/CP-107 Argus?

R/

Dutch