1/48 Tamiya F-14A VF-142

Following closely, Janissary!   Beautiful weathering technique.   Just to confirm...you did no mottling before the basecoat and just post-shaded it with H315 mixed with a little white and achieved this, wow!  And at this point, have you post-shaded it with the black yet?  (or I guess that's H315 mixed with a little black?)  'Cause it's looking really good already.

Thank you all. This stage is where i have most fun! CJ: you’re right, the base is pure h315, later post-shaded with a little white adde to the gray. The darker post-shade layer is not on yet. 

The effect currently is too subtle. After a gloss coat and oil rendering layers, it would be pretty much all lost. So i think more contrast is necessary now with the darker shade. Will be out for a week for work, so hopefully will back with more updates then!

On 8/17/2019 at 11:06 PM, Janissary said:

Thank you all. This stage is where i have most fun! CJ: you’re right, the base is pure h315, later post-shaded with a little white adde to the gray. The darker post-shade layer is not on yet. 

The effect currently is too subtle. After a gloss coat and oil rendering layers, it would be pretty much all lost. So i think more contrast is necessary now with the darker shade. Will be out for a week for work, so hopefully will back with more updates then!

Testament to your airbrush work, i'd be too nervous to try that after in case I spray too heavy. Looks really, really good man!

Thank you. I know what you mean with MM Acryl. I tried many thinners. The only thing that worked is their own thinner: 

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/TES00050496/product.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZq5vLfG5AIVCVYMCh2ypgroEAQYAyABEgKi1vD_BwE

I couldn't get any other thinner to work properly at all. I bought this bottle as a challenge to myself (painted my A-4F mostly with that), trying to get good performance out of a seemingly not so great paint brand. 

For spraying, just using my Iwata airbrushes. I tend to dilute this paint a little less than I would do with other brands (seems too runny otherwise). 

Edited by Janissary
18 hours ago, Rodney said:

I'm really enjoying following your build.  The paint finish is coming out great.  

Rodney

Thank you Rodney. 

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

Jannisary, is that a makeup kit you're using to weather parts?

Yes. Wife’s old set. Unlike others I tried, this one doesn’t have those shiny particles/flakes mixed in, which is good. 

8 minutes ago, Janissary said:

Yes. Wife’s old set. Unlike others I tried, this one doesn’t have those shiny particles/flakes mixed in, which is good.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll go wander the makeup section at the store, see what I can find. Should be fun :naughty:

Looking good, man.  I'm taking notes... for when I attempt a gray model in the near future.   I'm starting to understand why some of you guys have huge stashes.  Going through these in-progress threads, I'm starting to want... all of the kits, haha. 

Thank you all very much. I am really enjoying this build. Decals are on. Future for gloss, Windex as a flash coat, vinegar for setting the decals, and Microsol for blending. Still need to cut through the panel lines and rivets to pop those back out. Also, still need to do the yellow strips on the sides of the antiglare.

IMG_9432.JPG

IMG_9433.JPG

IMG_9434.JPG

IMG_9435.JPG

IMG_9437.JPG

IMG_9438.JPG

Edited by Janissary