Any thoughts on ICM's new 1/72 MiG-25 RBT?

I noticed last week my LHS has them in stock, but it seems I've missed the launch of this (apparently) new mold line of recon Foxbats altogether. Looks like they have the RB version covered too. It appears I've been following the developments of certain Soviet 1/48 kits more closely - even though that's not my scale.

I haven't found any WIPs yet. Not much talk here on ARC either. At least my search found nothing. There are several WIPs of the earlier PDs from ICM elsewhere.

Once again I was surprised to learn these new reconnaissance kits have nothing to do with the earlier fighter kits that were derived from the Condor kit (which I have and is very basic). What the hell I've been doing lately?!

Anyone have the 1/72 RBT kit?

I haven't seen anything about them yet. They just came out a week or two ago and I am also anxious to see them. Hopefully they are as good as the 1/48 kits. I have one sitting in my 'Cart" at Hannants that I just need to pull the trigger and order.

30 minutes ago, Dmanton300 said:

Mine is largely together in terms of the sub assemblies. It's absolutely superb, and given the complex breakdown, fit is pretty excellent too. It's been a really fun build to this point (less than 48 hours since I started it). 

Good to hear! If that's the case I definitely need to pick up one.

When I found the kit last week I did some detective work in order to find out the relationship between this and the older ICM interceptor kits but in the end I was relieved to see there was none. AFAIK, and what I've seen, the older P and PD versions  weren't any shake 'n bake kits (as is not the Condor one either, which I have). At quick glance the newcomer appears to be much better engineered and I'm happy to hear your experience seems to confirm it. 

I've heard it's *almost* as nice as the Trumpeter Tu-22.  :woot.gif:

Seriously though, I don't have one, but it seems to be pretty much a scale-down of their 1/48 kit, so I'd imagine most of the comments would be broadly similar.  Biggest thing I've noticed with the larger kit is that it's heavily engineered, with tight tolerances - it's the kind of kit that will go together really well if you're careful and align everything perfectly, but could be a nightmare if you rush the build and just slap things together, as the problems will snowball.  I've seen a few 1/48 builds complaining about the fit and a few that praised it, and from taping mine together, I can understand how that could go either way.

13 minutes ago, MoFo said:

I've heard it's *almost* as nice as the Trumpeter Tu-22.  

Then we are truly doomed.

Honestly speaking, I do like kits with tight tolerances. So yeah, better grab one then! 

Oh yeah, as long as you check fit and trim any really minor flash you find, it goes together beautifully. I've used some Mr Filler liquid putty on a couple of areas (the nosecone joint) and some Mr Surfacer in other areas - the intakes needed some work, but I can see how I largely caused that, as minor as it is, and should a BM or PD turn up in due course (or, dreamily, a PU!) the I won't have that problem next time. Sand one or two areas tonight, then it's time to prime!