So today I got to get up close and personal, actually got to sit in the pilots seat, of a Utah National Guard AH-64D block II today, so I'm wanting to build one, but I'm having no luck in actually finding what I'm after. I'm after a 1/48 kit, but the part I'm having a problem with is the one I saw had upturned exhaust. Can anyone point me in a direction to find one. Thanks,

Duane

Not up on all things Apache but the 1/48 Hase AH-64E kit 07414 has the upturned exhaust. Sprue V and U, I don't think that sprue is found in any other 64 kit. I thought someone did a resin upturned exhaust but couldn't find it. Might be getting that confused with the Cobra and Blackhawk sets.

Order here from these guys

http://www.sealmodel.com/product_details.php?item_id=5178

I bought from them and had the kit in two weeks.  

My bad, didnt realize it was sold out here.  Thats what I get for posting from my phone and not reading the small print.

I do find it interesting that this kit wasnt produced longer or in greater quanity than it was.  

Edited by mike_45
On 10/19/2018 at 11:52 PM, mike_45 said:

Order here from these guys

http://www.sealmodel.com/product_details.php?item_id=5178

I bought from them and had the kit in two weeks.  

My bad, didnt realize it was sold out here.  Thats what I get for posting from my phone and not reading the small print.

I do find it interesting that this kit wasnt produced longer or in greater quanity than it was.  

I got mine here just a few months ago.  Great customer service.  

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, Falcon053 said:

Thanks Tank, I did find that kit had the upturned exhaust...actually finding it so far has proven to be impossible. I did see that Academy does a 1/72 kit of it I believe, but still researching that.

1025185-10934-95-pristine.jpg

As I work in 1/72, i have the Academy kit and it is certainly very good but it is a late Block II and not an "E" like the Hasegawa. As such it would serve your purpose (a late Block II D that you sat in) but be aware that an E has different rotor blades. This is not a problem if you get a Hasegawa as I believe it includes both the original kit blades (that you would use for your D) and the new E blades but you need to be aware of this and use the right blades. Hope you can find the Hasegawa in your scale but the Academy is a great kit if you cannot.

Edited by RCAFFAN
3 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

As I work in 1/72, i have the Academy kit and it is certainly very good but it is a late Block II and not an "E" like the Hasegawa. As such it would serve your purpose (a late Block II D that you sat in) but be aware that an E has different rotor blades. This is not a problem if you get a Hasegawa as I believe it includes both the original kit blades (that you would use for your D) and the new E blades but you need to be aware of this and use the right blades. Hope you can find the Hasegawa in your scale but the Academy is a great kit if you cannot.

Thanks for the info. I'll pick up an Academy kit and enjoy building it and if a Hasegawa one comes along I'll pick it up as well, just in knowing I have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa than the Hasegawa kit.

Edited by Falcon053
  • 1 year later...

I have started building an Academy Block II AH-64D. I am considering opening up one of the rear baggage compartment doors. I have a query that someone here might be able to answer.

Is the rear baggage compartment one large compartment that goes from one side of the tailboom to the other or is the compartment divided by a central partition? If both baggage doors were open and the compartment was empty, could you look through one opening and see out through the other side? 

I'm just trying to get an idea of what detail needs to be added in there if I do open one door. Thanks.

LD. 

Update: The rear compartment is one large area that runs from one side of the fuselage/tailboom to the other and can be accessed from either door. There is no dividing partition running down the centre of the compartment. 

Edited by Loach Driver
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the correct colour is for the main rotor head? It looks like it is Helo Drab, similar to the airframe colour but the instructions are calling for 40% black mixed with 60% Olive Drab. The blades themselves seem to be a weathered flat black. Thanks.

LD.

1 hour ago, Loach Driver said:

Does anyone know what the correct colour is for the main rotor head? It looks like it is Helo Drab, similar to the airframe colour but the instructions are calling for 40% black mixed with 60% Olive Drab. The blades themselves seem to be a weathered flat black. Thanks.

LD.

AFAIK it's the same colour as the overall airframe, helo drab, but probably suitably weathered with grease & gunk.

---------------------

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 7:50 AM, Loach Driver said:

Thanks. That what I thought. Not sure why Academy specified a different colour. Maybe they were factoring in the grease & gunk!

LD.

Hi Loach, I know this is old, but the Apache main rotor is Helo-drab. I was an AH-64 Mech 3-2010 to 5-2012 The paint used is actually called CARC. We used color code 34031, which is "lusterless" flat Helo drab. It fades and gets patchy from on the spot touch up with a spray can. Oil staining darkens it back to an almost black. I probably have some good pictures somewhere.

Edited by Helo-Engineer
5 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

Thanks, HE. I haven't got around to painting the rotors and main head yet but good to have the colour confirmed by someone with hands-on knowledge.

LD.

No problem. I'm collecting photos from most of the people I deployed with. We had late Block IIs and were one of the first units with ASPI and Blue force tracker/ CMMWS.

Photos

You can also see in those that US Army Helos had a white stripe on each blade. Right in the middle about a foot wide, only on top.

Edited by Helo-Engineer