Anyone here with a Monogram 1/48 F-102 ?

I'm working on a Monogram 1/48 F-84F with all the stores that the RNLAF used. The Monogram outboard 230 gallon tanks are too long, as can be seen in the picture below.

f84f-09.jpg

But I haven't found the true dimensions yet. Then I noticed that the 230 gallon tanks under the F-102 looked very similar. Could someone measure the length and diameter of those thanks? Many thanks in advance!

Rob

On 10/22/2018 at 4:03 PM, IAGeezer said:

You are welcome sir.

Here's the result, with two 5 mm sections removed. It looks a lot better then before when mounted under the model. It's probably still not completely accurate, but good enough for my purpose.

f84f-21.jpg

Rob

37 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

Looks pretty good to me! I can look at my completed builds and see every flaw in my assembly, but, as time has gone on, the flaws are becoming less obvious...

In this case it's a bit of a play model: I'm building the model with magnets in the wings, pylons and stores, so you can configure it as you like. I'm building all the stores that the RNLAF used on the Streak, and I hope to use it in interviews with former pilots. Here's a picture of one stores configuration, with the unmodified outboard tank. It's a lot of fun to play with all the stores 🙂

f84f-09.jpg

Rob

Small world! I've been using magnets for about a year now, weaning off from brass wire/aluminum tube, and really enjoy the change. A lot less tedious, much quicker, and easier to clean up after (for me, at least). Used 2mm up to this point, but just got some 1mm stuff in yesterdays mail. More will be revealed....

13 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

Small world! I've been using magnets for about a year now, weaning off from brass wire/aluminum tube, and really enjoy the change. A lot less tedious, much quicker, and easier to clean up after (for me, at least). Used 2mm up to this point, but just got some 1mm stuff in yesterdays mail. More will be revealed....

Ha, small world indeed!! For me this is the first model I'm trying it on, but it works really well. I'm mainly using 2 mm diameter, 2 mm length magnets for this project. I have 1 x 1 mm too, but they are really tiny, more for 1/72 scale. Here's how I did the first pylon ever. I sometimes make 'towers' of 2 or 3 magnets to increase the force, especially when I have solid resin stores.

f84f-03.jpg

Rob