I have never owned or tried a Iwata airbrush. About 4 weeks ago I went to hobby lobby and bought another Paasche H because it was on sale 75% off, then a week ago I bought another Passche just a cheap airbrush, body made of plastic but it came with glass jars, so I bought. I figure I'll use the damn thing for clear coating. But Hobby Lobby here in town also sells Iwatas . One kit says neo for Iwata for 50 dollars then there is a Iwata Eclipse for 130 dollars. I am now after a period of a number of years getting back into modelling and am currently working on kits that I have had in my closet for a number of years, all 109's one including Hartmann's winter camo Bf 109 G-14. So my question is this, what is neo for Iwata and how does it compare to the Iwata eclipse. All comments are welcome and greatly appreciated. Shall be back tomorrow night.

Cheers:cheers: 

Andy G

The neo is like a beginners airbrush. It's a decent airbrush and disassembly is easy. Though, you might find the spray pattern a bit lacking. It's good for large coverage, but trying to get in close for fine work leaves a bit to be desired. I use mine mainly for car bodies and simple camo patterns. It is easily cleaned and maintained. For finer details, I have a harder steenback infinity 2n1 that works great.

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

Just remember that the Neo is not made by Iwata, it's made For Iwata. So its not as high quality as there other brushes.

100% CORRECT.

If your looking for a "workhorse" of an airbrush and don't want to spend a lot of money, get yourself a Paasche VLS set. It comes with a #1, #3 and, #5 needle and is super easy to clean. I've had mine for over 20 years now and I have NOTHING bad to say about it.

Steve

2 hours ago, boom175 said:

Just remember that the Neo is not made by Iwata, it's made For Iwata. So its not as high quality as there other brushes.

Iwata does not have an airbrush factory. They outsource a lot of stuff even on their micron series.

https://armourinscale.wordpress.com/2016/08/18/demystifying-japans-airbrush-industry/

7 hours ago, Andy Gudbergsson said:

I have never owned or tried a Iwata airbrush. About 4 weeks ago I went to hobby lobby and bought another Paasche H because it was on sale 75% off, then a week ago I bought another Passche just a cheap airbrush, body made of plastic but it came with glass jars, so I bought. I figure I'll use the damn thing for clear coating. But Hobby Lobby here in town also sells Iwatas . One kit says neo for Iwata for 50 dollars then there is a Iwata Eclipse for 130 dollars. I am now after a period of a number of years getting back into modelling and am currently working on kits that I have had in my closet for a number of years, all 109's one including Hartmann's winter camo Bf 109 G-14. So my question is this, what is neo for Iwata and how does it compare to the Iwata eclipse. All comments are welcome and greatly appreciated. Shall be back tomorrow night.

Cheers:cheers: 

Andy G

I dont know what your budget is but believe me if you are "new" with airbrushing, it is actually a better choice to buy a good airbrush. Cheap airbrushes are much more difficult to control and work with. I learnt this the hard way. My 1st airbrush was a cheap aztek, I hate using it almost quit airbrushing. Then I bought an cheaper Harder and steenback I used it much easier and better effect but still experienced lots of problems then I bought an iwata hi-line. It was great I was able to do almost anything I want with plus it was the easiest to control, enjoyed it tremendously. It made airbrushing the most fun part of modelling for me. I got greedy and bought a PS770 from Mr. Hobby which was told to be equal to iwata micron series. Now, I don't know whether it is really equal to micron since I've never own a micron but I can easily tell PS770 is even better that the hi-line. It is the best airbrush I have ever used and I wished I had started with this airbrush!! It is a joy. I even started airbrushing on canvas !! 😄 

Edited by foxmulder_ms

I also recently bought the Hobby Lobby "Neo for Iwata" top feed airbrush and couldn't be happier. I was an Aztek guy for 20 years, which I thought was easier,  and man was I wrong! The Neo is so easy to use it's unreal. I can get tight spray patterns by thinning the paint way down and regulating my air to under 5 psi. Cleanup takes 30 seconds or so. I've never owned some of the more expensive airbrushes so I can't really say which is better but I've never heard anything bad about the Paasche VLS or the Eclipse.

Edited by Hooker169

Let's dispel some myths and preconceived notions here, hmm? I have been airbrushing for well over 40 years and own 15 new and vintage brushes and feel qualified to give you some good advice. The Paasche H is a good external mix airbrush and before ANY of you poo poo it, remember that this was THE airbrush widely used in the special effects industry (including Winston Studio) until the advent of CGI! You can't expect to do detail with it but base coating and priming are its true strength. As for the Neo line, the less said the better. Why? These are Chinese made brushes and the quality control is suspect at the best of times! Misaligned fluid nozzles and O rings are extremely common and as a newer AB user will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth quickly. If you have the scratch, buy the Eclipse as it is a very good airbrush but do not make the mistake of buying it as a siphon feed (bootle baby) as you will have no choice but to spray at higher air pressures. If you go either gravity or side feed, you will be able to spray at lower air pressures and will be easier to clean as well. This brush with the .3 needle will also be capable of detail work if you lower the air pressure and thin your paint down as I do so regularly.

As for the Iwata no longer making their own brushes, that has been common knowledge as Fuse Sekei has been making the brushes for decades. This applies to Iwata, Olympos, Richpen and Meji and even Holbein. That really is neither here or there as Iwata bought Harder & Steinbeck so, no longer German boys! A true barometer for buying is, "you get what you pay for"! You can also buy off eBay for vintage brushes as I own a Vintage Wold A-1 and Thayer & Chandler A that are nothing short of spectacular for detail work and I paid less than $40 for either. You have options but you really need to ask yourself, what do I want to do with them? You can buy a dedicated detail brush that can do some mid range work or a wide application brush that will do some mid range work but seldom will you get a jack of all trades brush. You HAVE to plan on detail or broad application work. just my 2 cents and hope it helps you.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

Edited by Chris the cabbie
4 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I dont know what your budget is but believe me if you are "new" with airbrushing, it is actually a better choice to buy a good airbrush. Cheap airbrushes are much more difficult to control and work with. I learnt this the hard way. My 1st airbrush was a cheap aztek, I hate using it almost quit airbrushing. Then I bought an cheaper Harder and steenback I used it much easier and better effect but still experienced lots of problems then I bought an iwata hi-line. It was great I was able to do almost anything I want with plus it was the easiest to control, enjoyed it tremendously. It made airbrushing the most fun part of modelling for me. I got greedy and bought a PS770 from Mr. Hobby which was told to be equal to iwata micron series. Now, I don't know whether it is really equal to micron since I've never own a micron but I can easily tell PS770 is even better that the hi-line. It is the best airbrush I have ever used and I wished I had started with this airbrush!! It is a joy. I even started airbrushing on canvas !! 😄 

I just picked up a PS-770 two weeks ago from www.spraygunner.com for $180.00 plus free S&H. AWESOME airbrush !!

Steve

IMG_6136_zpsiejxsz0z.jpg

IMG_6137_zpsgvbmrqkp.jpg

The PS770 is indeed a match for the Micron as it is made by Fuso Sekei and another airbrush friend of mine off the Airbrush forum (also a machinist) has checked the parts to both Iwata and Olympos Microns and are a match. The only issue that has prevented me from picking one up is that I strongly dislike a large C cup gravity feed for a Micron as it will take forever to empty! For most using a Micron, small detail using little paint is the rule of the day. I converted a couple of Olympos 100SBs with PS770 needles and fluid nozzles (plus a few other bits I can share with those interested) and have Microns for a fraction of the price!

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

I have a Neo, I like it and use it a good deal. The only issue I've had with them is the first I bought was defective, I sent it to Iwata for warranty replacement or repair. They received it, then "lost" it, and it was over a month before I received a replacement. That said, I've had the thing for about five years and, at this point, it's outlasted my marriage. At least my airbrush hasn't run off and taken the kid...

I did replace the nozzle and needle, but it wasn't necessary, I just wanted to try a more fine tip, so to speak.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:04 AM, Chris the cabbie said:

Let's dispel some myths and preconceived notions here, hmm? I have been airbrushing for well over 40 years and own 15 new and vintage brushes and feel qualified to give you some good advice. The Paasche H is a good external mix airbrush and before ANY of you poo poo it, remember that this was THE airbrush widely used in the special effects industry (including Winston Studio) until the advent of CGI! You can't expect to do detail with it but base coating and priming are its true strength. As for the Neo line, the less said the better. Why? These are Chinese made brushes and the quality control is suspect at the best of times! Misaligned fluid nozzles and O rings are extremely common and as a newer AB user will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth quickly. If you have the scratch, buy the Eclipse as it is a very good airbrush but do not make the mistake of buying it as a siphon feed (bootle baby) as you will have no choice but to spray at higher air pressures. If you go either gravity or side feed, you will be able to spray at lower air pressures and will be easier to clean as well. This brush with the .3 needle will also be capable of detail work if you lower the air pressure and thin your paint down as I do so regularly.

As for the Iwata no longer making their own brushes, that has been common knowledge as Fuse Sekei has been making the brushes for decades. This applies to Iwata, Olympos, Richpen and Meji and even Holbein. That really is neither here or there as Iwata bought Harder & Steinbeck so, no longer German boys! A true barometer for buying is, "you get what you pay for"! You can also buy off eBay for vintage brushes as I own a Vintage Wold A-1 and Thayer & Chandler A that are nothing short of spectacular for detail work and I paid less than $40 for either. You have options but you really need to ask yourself, what do I want to do with them? You can buy a dedicated detail brush that can do some mid range work or a wide application brush that will do some mid range work but seldom will you get a jack of all trades brush. You HAVE to plan on detail or broad application work. just my 2 cents and hope it helps you.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

Chris I am perfectly happy with the airbrushes I have now as far a general airbrushing is concerned and my old Paasce H served me well for years and i bought another one 75% off at Hobby Lobby . But having said that if I went to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and bought the Iwata Eclipse for  detail airbrushing would it be a good investment. Hell Chris even Count Customs use Iwatas

I've been using an Iwata HP-CP 3mm nozzle, gravity feed for a few years now. It's great, but all I have to compare it to is my first ever airbrush, an Aztek plastic one, which I now realise was awful compared to the Iwata.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

I dont know what your budget is but believe me if you are "new" with airbrushing, it is actually a better choice to buy a good airbrush. Cheap airbrushes are much more difficult to control and work with.

I completely agree with this. Get a good airbrush--it will be truly easier to use and you won't replace it after a year.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:56 PM, Andy Gudbergsson said:

You have options but you really need to ask yourself, what do I want to do with them? You can buy a dedicated detail brush that can do some mid range work or a wide application brush that will do some mid range work but seldom will you get a jack of all trades brush. 

I also have two airbrushes. I use an Iwata HP-TH with a 0.5mm nozzle for broad area work, which usually means primers, base coats, and clear coats. I use an Iwata HP-CH with a 0.3mm nozzle for detail work, but will also prime small parts with this.

Very happy with both!