F-8H VF-201 Decals

Hi Everyone- 

I had a couple of questions regarding the F-8H Crusader with VF-201 out of NAS Dallas

1. Based on a few photos from VF-201, the CAG number (AF100) is printed differently than the AEROMASTER decal version. In specific, the decal has the white shadow first followed by the black number. On the actual pictures, the aircraft number has the black number first, followed by the white shadow.  Has anyone noticed the difference?

2. When reading up on the F-8H vs. F8J (regarding the external difference), I noted that the main two differences were the radome (F-8H has the same radome as the F-8D) and the F-8H had and smaller ECM pod on the tail compared to the F-8J.... but when analyzing the VF-201 pictures, the F-8H seems to have both the F-8J radome and definitely has a larger ECM pod-simular to that found on the F-8J.

Any thoughts?

am48751b.jpg

Edited by txag07

Great scheme! I have a lot of older photos of VF-201 F-8s. It appears that some have white forward; some have black forward. Each may have been appropriate for a certain time period.  In a couple photos, the perspective may look like the wider F-8 nose, but most of the pictures it is definitely the narrow earlier nose. 

Tom "Superheat" should be able to confirm my answer. He'll definitely be able to confirm the nose and answer about the ECM antennae (not my expertise). 

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Superheat passed away in June. We're on our own.

What? Seriously? I never heard anything about it. I didn't know him personally, but I did correspond with him a few times. Tom added a lot to the NAVAIR topics. That brings my week down.

There is a great thread here on ARC outlining the differences. I believe Tom authored this piece so check out the archives. I intend to do a VF-201 F-8 at some point. I have the Cutting Edge conversion which includes the whole nose. The thing  with the F-8 H was the early nose profile i.e. intake size, narrow profile and different vent arrangement. You really cant do an accurate H without the conversion.

5 hours ago, BillS said:

There is a great thread here on ARC outlining the differences. I believe Tom authored this piece so check out the archives. I intend to do a VF-201 F-8 at some point. I have the Cutting Edge conversion which includes the whole nose. The thing  with the F-8 H was the early nose profile i.e. intake size, narrow profile and different vent arrangement. You really cant do an accurate H without the conversion.

Thanks, Bills, I believe I found it earlier but it never answered the ECM pod question... That being said based on actual photographs, I am going to assume the H had bot the small and large ECM pod on its tail. 

• 1 month later...

I am trying to verify this. Who has confirmation of Superheat going west? What is the source of info? We haven't been able to locate any records of his death in Delaware.

His 2 phone numbers that we checked seem to be disconnected, so he probably did check out, but would like something more authoritative to go by.

-d-