This has just arrived in the post. Cold War Studios has produced a conversion for the 48th scale ICM MiG-25RBT kit into the Wild Weasel MiG-25BM version.

0QthnOK.jpg

A comprehensive set in a big box. If I have counted them right then there are:

-  56 resin parts

-  74 photoetched

-  20 printed harness belts

-  a separate film with instrument dial details

-  4 chrome self adhesive mirrors

-  a set of paint masks

-  and a separate comp disk with the instructions.

KVss24Z.jpg

Even though the biggest individual cast resin item is the nose part a lot more of research and work has gone into the anti-radar missiles and its launch units as well as the unique pylons. They make up most of the cast resin parts in the set. Etched parts build into the ram intakes on the pylons and some details.

u4Ljyqz.jpg

ubtfvzd.jpg

The other etched fret gives you the new instrument panel and ejection seat details with all the individual buckles and attachments. For the instrument panel there is a perfectly executed backing film of all the instrument faces.

ouDnPbf.jpg

HjejHeX.jpg

A lot of stuff to work with. So now apart from the two seater trainer one can do almost every alternative airframe version which were in service from the ICM kit with Cold War Studios up-grade sets. This is definitely a set for good modellers as there is a lot of work with fine parts.

Best regards

Gabor

I got that set a couple of weeks ago. Looks real nice. Was going to convert my RBT kit to an RBF (got CWS's conversion for that) so I could do a Mig-25 in something other than grey. Now I can do a Mig-25 in something other than grey and have big, honking missiles on it too!

A million dollar question.

Just as: is AMK planning to do a MiG-25BM (or a Foxbat of any sort at all). It is all somewhere in the future.

Sorry I have no answer, maybe Kotey or someone from the Russian side know better. The ColdWarStudios set is an alternative, and it is right now.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, solher1 said:

Is ICM planning to do a Mig-25BM in the future?

Well, as soon as I bought the CWS RBF conversion, ICM came out with their RBF kit. I just bought the BM conversion, so ICMs BM should be out in about a month :whistle:

My time is taken up with the build of the 72 nd MiG-21 so no diversion into converting the ICM MiG-25RBT into BM but I want to see how one of the missiles look like and also the instrument panel. Did a dry run with it and I think it looks fantastic. Little paint and will see what it is like.

31KiqOU.jpg

8VavFZK.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Here is a bit of work to see what the nose is like. A complete rubdown of the nose was made with wet and dry followed by a wash. A semi matt surface will be a little better for adhesion of the primer grey. We will see (if I build this at all, there are so many other things to do).

EGoVjwY.jpg

HO2Jdjj.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Here is a bit of work to see what the nose is like. A complete rubdown of the nose was made with wet and dry followed by a wash. A semi matt surface will be a little better for adhesion of the primer grey. We will see (if I build this at all, there are so many other things to do).

Best regards

Gabor

That's a good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!

The main question in this case was to see what the nose is like, the thing about the paint adhesion is only a bonus.

Mind you there are people who do give a complete sanding to the finished kit before painting specifically because of the paint. I am not one of them. Just one question comes to mind, what happens to all the fine details, surface details, things sticking out from the surface, guns and delicate parts . . . and the line is long.

As mentioned before the primary aim in this case was different.

Best regards

Gabor

Understood, thanks Gabor.

It makes sense though with some resin parts like this one, to smooth out any imperfections in the surface caused by casting, and as you say, to improve adhesion of the primer. Many paints have a little difficulty adhering to resin.

Edited by Mstor

I almost forgot about this. Yes, it is a set on its own but it is also for the ICM kit. Not specifically for the BM but for all ICM kits of the Foxbat.  On the kit the ventral fins are a bit simple and what is more important they have completely left out the brake shute release activator. It is a long rod which is deployed (like a navy tail hook) and when it touches the ground on landing the sensor releases the brake parachute. Due to its function it is completely different from the one on the right.

The Cold War Studios set contains the two fins, the sensor rod and a single photoetch part.

It is a very simple set but needed. Well if you go into details. One needs careful attachment of the fins, the angle should be right (12 degrees). I would say the simplest way is to cut a hard board paper template based on the original angle of the kit part. Cut the plastic part off and use the template when fixing the new resin fin.

nbaSOpM.jpg

kgwR8hl.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

I have to state one thing. I am not building this bird! Absolutely not! Just “looking” at it.   It is something similar to being a “little” pregnant. :D  :winkgrin:  :D

OK there is some work on it but nothing serious. Had to have a look how the nose part compares to the kit cockpit section. Some trimming inside the resin nose was required to get the plastic connecting parts inside the resin. Still some work is needed but the fin is good. The gap visible on the photo is due to the fact that the resin part was not inserted all the way and no glue was used.

This is massive!!! 

s7qcwKX.jpg

Now the missiles is a completely different matter. I think I will do one or two of them and see how they compare (in size mainly) with for example AMK R-33 from the MiG-31 kit, G.W.H R-27 or the new Phoenix from the AMK F-14 kit. The missile H-58 bodies were scrubbed with wet & dry. Some surface imperfections were filled with superglue and sanded.

9CKa2Mv.jpg

UF4LT1M.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Yes I have one.

I have one AIM-54 Phoenix as you can see from the photo. And few of the other missiles. Had them for about half a year now.  They have been on show for a long time and some test examples were given to me. Exactly the same as with the AMK MiG-31 or its missiles which I had well in advance of official release. There is absolutely no secret about this back then I regularly posted about it.

But of course this is only some of the missiles from this kit, nothing more!

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, how did you find the GWH R-27ERs? For my Su-33 I used the ones from the kit plus their Russian Missile set and I was not too happy with them. Probably done by Kinetics original molding company (I hear they are doing their molding in house now). The parts had poorly lined up slide molds and required a great deal of sanding and shaping. I hope the GWH ones are better.

Hi Mstor,

The R-27ER is from the standard Su-35S G.W.H  kit.  It has nothing to do with Kinetic or the Su-33 kit!!!

The G.W.H set is made with slide-molding and yes, there are some lines in it. Mind you the missiles are the same as the ones originally made for the MiG-29 kit. There was absolutely no point in making a new production tool for the Su-35S kit.

I have also did a lot of extra work on those missiles but it is another story and I hope to share it sometimes in my Su-35S build topic.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor. I know that it was from a GWH kit and had nothing to do with the Kinetic Su-33. Was just looking for your opinion of the GWH version quality wise. I could have dug my GWH Su-35 out and pulled out the sprues with the missiles on them, but I was feeling lazy :whistle:

9 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Absolutely no problem! :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

I have also did a lot of extra work on those missiles but it is another story and I hope to share it sometimes in my Su-35S build topic.

Oh, please do!!