Trumpeter 1/48 F-100 opinions please

Dear all,

I am considering getting the Trumpeter 1/48 kit. Don´t know yet if it will be a C or D.

I know, there is an issue with the intake, which is addressed by some AM companies. How good is the kit actually? Is it

a) get a new intake, the rest is fine

b) it has some issues (please tell me which) but builds into an accurate replica when corrected.

c) get it only if you really need a 1/48 F-100 with recessed panel lines, otherwise go Monogram.

There is a corrected tail fin for the C model and corrected 335gal drop tank noses. What are the issues in these cases? Nit-picking or serious shape issues?

Thanks for your help!

Thomas

8 hours ago, Sabre Freak said:

BenB did an outstanding ctitique over on Z5.  You can judge for yourself the tail issues.  Cockpit also has some shape issues.

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=14940

Thanks! This is most helpful! Most issues can be addressed by AM sets, but the too thin wings....

Thomas

Hi  Thomas,

I think I said it in my post over at Z-5, but if you want accurate, go Monogram, if you want easy to build, go Trumpeter. You can throw a lot of aftermarket at the Trumpeter kit and get it to maybe 80%-90% of the Monogram kit's accuracy. Disclaimer: I may be more biased against the Trumpeter kits than most folks, because of all of the time I spent trying to fix their 1/32 F-100D. I got caught up in all of the minutiae with that one, and it kind of ruined F-100s for me. 😞   

I never did come up with a way to fix the wings, short of using a set of Monogram wings, but you can at least fake it and get the model to sit correctly by shortening the main gear struts a couple of mm and replacing the too-tall kit wheels with some correct ones from Royale Resin. I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to fit resin gear wells, because they don't fix the problem of being too shallow. 

Cheers!

Ben

10 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Hi  Thomas,

I think I said it in my post over at Z-5, but if you want accurate, go Monogram, if you want easy to build, go Trumpeter. You can throw a lot of aftermarket at the Trumpeter kit and get it to maybe 80%-90% of the Monogram kit's accuracy. Disclaimer: I may be more biased against the Trumpeter kits than most folks, because of all of the time I spent trying to fix their 1/32 F-100D. I got caught up in all of the minutiae with that one, and it kind of ruined F-100s for me. 😞   

I never did come up with a way to fix the wings, short of using a set of Monogram wings, but you can at least fake it and get the model to sit correctly by shortening the main gear struts a couple of mm and replacing the too-tall kit wheels with some correct ones from Royale Resin. I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to fit resin gear wells, because they don't fix the problem of being too shallow. 

Cheers!

Ben

Ok, I think I wait another twenty years, when a new Hun kit will come out.

47 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Ok, I think I wait another twenty years, when a new Hun kit will come out.

Yes! I guess until then we’ll just have to make do with what’s available. At least now we have options besides the old ESCI kit! 😮

Cheers! 

Ben

6 hours ago, Murph said:

Has anybody seen the 1/72 scale XMM resin replacement intake for the Trumpeter F-100?  I have several of their other intakes and they're quite well done.

Regards,

Murph

I have their 1/48 Hun intake/nose,very well done,cut at a panel line,a little shaving of plastic and your good to go,the nose gear bay is molded with the intake.Nicely done like the other sets they produce.

11 minutes ago, Phantom726 said:

This is the Trumpeter F-100D with a re-worked nose. Only the ordnance is lifted from a Hasegawa weapons set. Rest is OOB.

IMG_8231.JPG?psid=1&width=1349&height=89

IMG_8228.JPG?psid=1&width=1349&height=89

IMG_8235.JPG?psid=1&width=1349&height=89

I don´t see any pictures.  😞

Thomas

Phantom 726 that is one Beautiful Hun Build. I absolutely love it. :worship:  Please don't be offended when I say that the intake shape is wrong when compared to a Revelogram intake or a Rockwell International picture of the real thing. If you have access to a Kinsey In Detail  & Scale book, you will see what I am trying to point out.

I'm not trying to be overly pedantic about this but the OP was asking about the Trumpeter shape etc. And I don't think the Trumpeter is anyway close to the Revelogram.

Did I say your build is exceptional?  It is. 

18 hours ago, ThePhantomTwo said:

I have their 1/48 Hun intake/nose,very well done,cut at a panel line,a little shaving of plastic and your good to go,the nose gear bay is molded with the intake.Nicely done like the other sets they produce.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Murph

In case anybody's interested.  According to the Incomplete Guide To Airfoil Usage

https://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads/aircraft.html

The F-100 used a NACA 64A007 Airfoil for the wing.  Naturally I can't find another source to corroborate it, but there you go. 

So, if you have an F-100 kit wing, measure it's length along the fuselage side, multiply my 7%, (.07) and that length should be the max thickness, at about 40% back from the LE

I think your Trumpeter F-100D looks really good. I have a couple Monogram D's and bought a Trumpeter F. Was going to build it either as a MISTY FAC or a chase plane F from Edwards AFB. Saw them fly there with the F-104A and F-104D. Something about metal finish with Day Glow paint is just cool!

Cheers...Ron