• 5 weeks later...

Yes, I used the 1/48th splinter pattern set for the Eduard MiG 21. I have to confess to having been nervous about it as it is an insanely complicated scheme, and requires the decals to be split into lots and lots of smaller decals. Despite the apparent complexity, the only problems I had were of my own making. If you take your time and use microsol and microset they go down great. If you gloss coat first, there is no silvering to be seen at all.

I also now would recommend starting with those deacalscwhere they are two that meet at a wing root, so tgat you set the datum in the right place

Hope this helps

Les

Thanks Les  . I finally found the set I needed at Hannants  and it was on sale .

They have some age on them but they look quite good . Hopefully they'll behave well .

At least there are no large  items involved .

Cheers, Christian

Just a heads up. Many of the very early Syhart decals were printed using ALPS printers on decal sheet. This means that you must carefully cut around the actual decals to minimize the amount of clear backing on each separate decal. I don't know if Syhart recommended coating their ALPS printed decals with some sort of clear coat or not.

In any case, I believe all his decals are now the usual screen printed type which are, needless to say, much easier to deal with.

Just thought you should be aware before you buy in case you are buying an old set from someone.

I do have a number of his sets, but haven't used any yet.

Thank you for that. These are old. Belgian Spitfires , long out of production .

It'll be a while before I get to them , so I'll have to experiment I often cut them out with a scalpel anyway . Wondering if they will need a Micro decal coat ? .

Thanks for the head's up.

Cheers, Christian 

I would contact Sylvain and ask him specifically about those decals. According to his website, they switched to all screen printed decals in 2009. Don't know how old yours are, but you could ask him whether they are ALPS or screen printed and if ALPS, what procedure to use for applying them. Here is his website page with e-mail addresses to contact him (scroll down a bit).

http://www.syhartdecal.fr/ENG_infos.htm