Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

AV-8B+ Hasegawa 1/48 with loads of extras

Recommended Posts

After about 6 months on the bench, this one has landed in the display case. Hasegawa's AV-8B has fought me many a time and I finally completed one. This is the AV-8B+, extensively detailed and finished as a VMA-311 bird. From what I can tell, the VMA-311 birds were fairly freshly painted spanning 2010-2013 and subsequently forward deployed in Afgahnistan. My aim was to portray a deployed bird heavily sortied, but in good condition.

 

Having been defeated many times with the troubling fit, I decided to make this effort count and added everything I could. The cockpit is Aires. The stores are Eduard Brassin and the aiframe got Eduard photoetch. The decals are Aviation Design "Dark Harriers". The decals performed well, but have many color errors, and as best I can tell only have a single side for many stencils that should be on both.

 

The aircraft was finished with black basing technique and then Model Master Acryl paints. The exhaust stains were airbrushed. Most other weathering is from oil filters and effects with a scattering of other tried and true techniques.

 

So on to the pictures. Please share any comments or critiques, I'm always happy to hear thoughts and areas to improve.

 

30665435287_81481a2957_c.jpg

 

30665435487_38c4c3babc_c.jpg

 

30665435627_37e2a8d631_c.jpg

 

30665435807_d86183da95_c.jpg

 

30665435937_d8fb2473f1_c.jpg

 

30665436157_5383d34699_c.jpg

 

I had an event with the canopy and some putty. The canopy frame needed to be blended to the fuselage and the solvent/fumes leaked through the tape I had protecting the canopy, crazing the area. I patched as best I could with polishing and future, but it still wasn't perfect. So I stashed a folded map on the dash to make this area a little less apparent.

 

I also found in many pictures that the front panels under the forward canopy appear to be frequently removed, presumeably for maintenance, so the rivets were picked out with a silver pencil.

 

30665436347_56a1a7aee3_c.jpg

 

The AGM-65 and GBU-38 are both Eduard Brassin. I picked them up to find the weapons I needed, but pleasently found them to be so far superior to kit weapons I would have happily bought them either way.

 

30665436567_df37123f04_c.jpg

 

30665433167_1b6db0b4be_c.jpg

 

30665433747_5a15634442_c.jpg

 

I depicted the jet loaded for a mission and one of the standout extras I kept seeing in pictures were the loaded countermeasures dispensors. I put in the silver and blue for flares and chaff, with a few empty canisters.

 

30665433877_91da42947e_c.jpg

 

30665433987_4236387542_c.jpg

 

The front gear bay is often open on parked birds for access to circuit breakers. I initially planned to use the Aires kit for this, but found it impossible to fit, so I scratchbuilt the bay.

 

30665434237_56c93a36bc_c.jpg

 

30665434527_890d1058bc_c.jpg

 

30665433527_52bfa57b3a_c.jpg

 

30665434747_2edede5ae7_c.jpg

 

30665434847_a581bfa773_c.jpg

 

30665435087_9bbcc51a4d_c.jpg

Edited by ESzczesniak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet, I love the look of the Harrier in that dark grey scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great build and thank you for posting and sharing your work. Came out great.

 

I have several of these Harrier kits in my stash but have been hesitant to start it after hearing of difficulties in building. I am glad that you mentioned using the Aires cockpit set but you never mentioned how difficult it was to use. Did you have to grind away alot? Seems to be pretty common for their sets. Obviously you had trouble with the landing gear bay. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Eduard weapons as they do look good on line.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the kind comments! And apologies for not posting for a while.

 

Addressing the note about the Aires cockpit, unlike most of their stuff, it fit well.  Only removing some sidewall raised details and light sanding.  They even had some positive locating references keyed in to make sure it was in the appropriate for/aft position.  I had read others experiencing the HUD mount being too tall to fit under the forward canopy.  I erred towards shorter when assembly this, but had no problems personally. 

 

The wheel wells, as I mentioned, were another story.  I am convinced you would have had to actually just cut out a portion of the forward fuselage walls and use the resin pieces as the outer walls.  I quickly realized there was no way in hell this was happening and moved on to another plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...