RCAF F-101 Colours

I think that's probably a typo.  It shows FS18785 which is Insignia White on the bottom of the CF-101, and it also shows that on several of the ADC gray USAF jets, too.  Maybe it's correct for the SEA camo RF-101B in the kit and they carried it over by mistake for the other schemes.  I'm no RCAF expert, but I think the CF-101 should be overall gray.

-Ryan

6 minutes ago, Steven H. McLain said:

I thought they were painted in Canadian Voodoo Gray.  I know Testors/Model Master used to make it.

I believe it was xtracolour who produced the Voodoo Grey colour in their little tinlets but it is not quite right.

When IPMS Canada produced the Canadian Colour guide I helped with spraying the little colour chips to be inserted into the book. We actually had a small access door off of a CAF Voodoo. We compared the paint to this door and it did not match. Yes we know about scale colour and all that but the point of the book was to produce a colour chip of what the colour was specified to be. Anyway we took that paint and added different colours to it to better match that of the door.

As far as the CF-101 paint schemes go there were 3 major base color variants and several marking variations.

1. The original base color scheme was bare metal with colored markings.

2. The second variation was an aluminum lacquer base scheme with color markings.

3. The last base scheme was the CF-101 Voodoo grey which was introduced in 1980. This was a Canadian specification and the number is AA92-A-312 Alumigrip light grey enamel which is not the same as  FS 16473 ADC Grey. This scheme also used what is called the symmetrical era markings. 

Model Master used to make a very good enamel color for the CF-101 Voodoo grey which is no longer available.

Cheers,

John

Hataka make a Canadian Voodoo Grey in their Orange (lacquer) range. I think they have it in their Red line (water based acrylic) too. Alclad II makes Canadian Voodoo grey in their new Mil-Spec Airbrush Enamel range. I don't think there are any US distributors yet. Don't know of the accuracy of either.

There is a new company, True North Paints, that makes an enamel line the seeks to fill in the void left by Model Master. They make a Canadian Voodoo grey. I have some but have not tried it out yet. Here's their link:

https://www.truenorthpaints.com/paintshop/

Do they date the scheme that they provide? Canada had two batches of Voodoos, the first batch did not have the IR "ball" on the top of the nose while the second batch that entered service in 1970 to 1972 did have the IR. I believe the kit offers both options but you need to look at a picture of the aircraft to determine the configuration, especially during the change over period. Also the kit has "slime lights molded on it and no Canadian Voodoo (except the black 67 electronic special) had formation lights so you should sand those off... There are other small differences between the batches and some small problems with grills on the kit in general but that maybe research you don't care about....HTH Bruce

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I used model master Canadian Voodoo grey. However its a discountiunued colour. So no idea what you could use now.

Check my post above. I listed three companies making Canadian Voodoo Grey paint.

All, thanks for the overwhelming response. KH does indeed quote Gloss White FS17875. I kind of suspected it was a very light grey bordering on white when taking scale effect into account. Somebody mentioned it's actually ADC grey but isn't that significantly darker? I've seen F-106s and F-4s in ADC and that was way greyer than the Canadian Voodoos appear to be - it does seem to border on white.

I suspected that it was similiar to RAF anti-flash white but I would guess the Canadian scheme has more to do with snow than a nuclear blast.