Grumman F-14A Tomcat - dio/ update 06/05/2019

• 2 weeks later...

f14wip-36-XL.jpg

The interior compartments were give a coat of White paint.

f14wip-38-XL.jpg

Afterwards the details were painted and a wash was applied to enhance the shadows.

f14wip-37-XL.jpg

The right hand side was given the same treatment.

f14wip-39-XL.jpg

With all the details painted and wings and pylons attached, it's time to gloss it up and finally start the decalling process!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I've hit the builder's block with this build when it came to decals. The only company that did the decals for the scheme I'm building, were Airfix. They have included decals for one of the VF-41 line birds from the JFK's 1997 Med cruise as well as CO's bird of VF-14 Tophatters with really nice tailart. The latter however has two serious problems - one side of the decal sheet is pretty badly off register and Airfix managed to screw the pooch with Modex numbers - the real bird carried 214 while Airfix printed the 201.

Anyhow back to VF-41 option. While the decals are surprisingly thin and the tail art decals fit perfectly, almost all other decals are like 15% too big. The "NO STEP" decals, compared to the Microscale sheet I used in the end, looked like 1:48 compared to 1:72. So yeah, in the end, some scheme specific decals were used from Airfix, others were mostly Microscale and some from a Fujimi kit (which had quite bad adhesion).

Anyhow all the troubles behind, here she is, ready for the next level of weathering.

f14wip-40-XL.jpg

f14wip-41-XL.jpg

f14wip-42-XL.jpg

f14wip-43-XL.jpg

f14wip-44-XL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Landing gear was improved by the use of Albion Alloys brass tubing and Plusmodel lead wire

f14wip-45-XL.jpg

Landing gear painted up and weathered.

f14wip-47-XL.jpg

Tomcat after light washes

f14wip-48-XL.jpg

f14wip-49-XL.jpg

f14wip-50-XL.jpg

Final look after specific panels were further weathered and certain panel lines over painted.

f14wip-51-XL.jpg

f14wip-52-XL.jpg

f14wip-53-XL.jpg

Edited by Sebastijan

Awesome Job!!

Your Tomcat build is the first one I've seen that has the umbilical bridges installed between the forward and aft weapons rails and got them right.

Great job on the detail, truly stunning.

Edited by GW8345
  • 1 month later...
Hi everyone! After a longer absence, I am back.
Was pretty busy at work with some joint NATO exercises going on and we had to provide ATC services for extended periods of time and the little time that was left, I spent it with my family.

Then this came along - another TOMCAT!

But fear not, I managed to sneak some time and add some details and put her on her own legs and here she is... some details still waiting to be attached, then flat coat, and again detailing, some weathering and on towards the finishing line.

f14wip-54-XL.jpg

f14wip-55-XL.jpg