Kinetic 48033 F/A-18D ATARS kit decal sheet

Posted with permission from Raymond Chung of Kinetic/Lucky Model. This is the decal sheet that will be included with kit 48033, the F/A-18D ATARS release. Combat vets from Operation Allied Force and Operation Inherent Resolve.

**A change to the sheet was requested. Two options, VMFA(AW)-121 and VMFA(AW)-533, along with the stencils were dropped.

Kinetic-48033-F-18-D-ATARS.jpg

Kinetic-ATARS-Profiles.jpg

F5Q1987.jpg

Edited by Dave Roof
45 minutes ago, motorhead said:

Is there any information about correct cockpit? Now we have cockpit for B model only - so what we'll get in new box  - F/A-18B with tail and decal for "D", or correct F/A-18D?

I don't know. I'd have to ask Raymond.

Here is how the kit would look with the decals applied. I cut the stripes using my vinyl cutter to make sure everything fit properly. My sincere thanks to the Marines of VMFA(AW)-224 that sent all of the photos necessary to make this possible!

DSCF9734.jpg

Someone, please, tell Raymond that "B" and "D" cockpits difference is not only in IPs but the whole coaming is different. And there is no PE or resin set to correct it. It is not tiny display or some knobs - this coaming is barely visible even under closed glass.

http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/001-100/TnT007-BBset-Roof/00.shtm

Kinetic Hornets already have too many flaws (for modern kit) and it is very sad that manufacturer not only do not fixing them but also making new.

Hi I know a small little detail different from B and D IP coaming but we discuss that we leave it to aftermarket company.

btw you said our hornet has too many flaws ? Name it ! I can ensure you miss that.

all the correction was done on vertical tail lum and pump. Just want to put here for fairness.

And remember this is the first time ATARS in plastic form.

Edited by Raymond Chung
2 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Hi I know a small little detail different from B and D IP coaming but we discuss that we leave it to aftermarket company.

btw you said our hornet has too many flaws ? Name it ! I can ensure you miss that.

all the correction was done on vertical tail lum and pump. Just want to put here for fairness.

And remember this is the first time ATARS in plastic form.

Why not just put the correct part(s) in the kit? You guys invested so much time and money on other details...an instrument panel and coaming is so small and can easily be a separate sprue.

Early D model coamings are the same as B model coamings. 

Starting w Block 12 the D rear coaming was indeed larger. The BuNos on the decal sheet are Block 12 and later so they should have the larger rear coaming and the new rear IP with 3 MPCDs in a row. Jake’s Modern Hornet Guide has extensive pics showing the differences. 

I agree with picknpluck, if you went to the effort to make the external ATARS specific parts then the cockpit should also have the correct parts. IMO it is a small inclusion that will save you (Kinetic) a lot of grief and criticism once the kit is released. 

Edited by habu2
typos

I appreciate that tidbit of information you shared about the Blocks and coaming/ip habu, stuff that I would never known about. Completely agree with you guys about updating it in the kit as well. In any direction it goes before it’s release I still want to purchase one after the fact.

5 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Why not just put the correct part(s) in the kit? You guys invested so much time and money on other details...an instrument panel and coaming is so small and can easily be a separate sprue.

Hi guys you should consider the mold space left there. And sometimes like this, no enough space and if we invest a mold for just those parts. The sales would not justify for the investment. 

Anyway I clearly state what will include to avoid those complain why we does not included the parts after they buy it. So you clear up what you expected. It is the choice of consumer whether they want it or not. 

There's the customer point-of-view and the producer point-of-view. It isn't possible to match strictly these point-of-views because what the producer can deliver depends on the ressources availability.
Short-run kit producers and some mainstream kit producers (TrumpyBoss, etc) own the machines used for tooling (CNC, EDM for steel toolings) and injection machines. They have to amortize the (huge I believe) investments and keep the operators/engineers busy so they can fairly easily modify an existing tooling or make a new one.
Perhaps the majority of mainstream plastic kit producers (that use steel toolings) do not own the machines used for tooling so they need to pay an external company to do the job. The amount of money is bigger if the quality, budget and time-of-delivery are determined in advance. Kinetic is one of these producers who outsources the tooling phase of projects so they cannot retool or add a sprue unless the expected incomes cover the new tooling cost... well unless they have suicidal tendancies and want to end up like Esci or Accurate Miniatures. Customer doesn't mind (it's not his problem...there are numerous producers so we just have to wait for someone to produce the kit), producer does.