Flickr now limiting free accounts to 1000 images.

Went to my page there and got notice that Flickr is now limiting free accounts to 1000 images.
So went looking for more info.

I'm not on twitter but will quote their account there;

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead/?utm_campaign=flickr-lookingahead&utm_source=Twitter

Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn’t Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant free offering.

If you are a free member with more than 1,000 photos or videos, you will have ample time to upgrade to Pro (for 30% off your first year) or download your photos and videos.* Read more about this decision.

I just sent this on their feedback page:

"Okay, I see the message about the new thousand image limit for free accounts and then my thoughts connect that with living below the poverty level on Social Security Disability. Am looking at the Flickr Pro fee of $49.99 per year which doesn't sound like much until connecting with that I get $1001 a month SSD, which sounds pretty reasonable until one looks at the Federal Poverty level guidelines and sees the the poverty level income for a household of one is $12,140 a year and I get $12,012 a year.
Yes, there is a discount on Pro right now, for right now.
But what about the long term?
Is there some manner by which we might meet halfway?
(Hmm, it said error submitting message please try again, so here goes again. I would not be surprised if all the ad blockers, script blockers, and GIF blockers, I use to make the web usable for me what with having autism and several other things had something to do with that error. God I hate those blinky flashy GIF, they are truly the spawn of Hades.)"

I'm kind of torn on this sort of thing. The free market part of me says "hey, it's their business and if they choose to put these policies in place it will either help or hurt their bottom line and only time will tell, so be it". But there is also the side that see it kind of as being a somewhat underhanded business practice by changing mid-stream. I can see where a free image hosting site would be a hard business to make money with or at minimum keep up and running. I guess it's a lose lost situation. It's an interesting problem of where is the future of image and data storage going to end up. I don't know that there are any good solutions yet.

Bill

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

You do understand that's 1000 image files per account, right ??

(nudge nudge wink wink)

How rare and remarkable of a computer genius would it take to write a program to query how many accounts are accessed from the same IP address so as to figure out who is gaming the system?

That would be next thing I'd do if I was running the company accounting department.

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

How rare and remarkable of a computer genius would it take to write a program to query how many accounts are accessed from the same IP address so as to figure out who is gaming the system?

That would be next thing I'd do if I was running the company accounting department.

How many people use static IP addresses to surf the web?  DHCP, wifi hot spots, mobile devices etc make static IP tracking useless unless you’re always using a dedicated server.

Their business model is to get as many ads in front of viewers as possible. Expending the manpower and $$$ for an IP witch hunt is waaay low on their priority list.    

Well CRAP! I haven't received anything from Flickr yet, but if it's true, I'll soon be screwed. I have just over 840 images on my account and it's only taken me less than a year and a half to get that many, after PB went stupid.

Chris

Well, I was Pro user at Photobucket before (until they have insanely rised the prices), then I went to flickr and was a Pro for $24 per year. 

I think $24 is a decent price for the offerings, $50 is not.

Any ideas of other photo sharing services?

On 11/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, southwestforests said:

I just sent this on their feedback page:

"Okay, I see the message about the new thousand image limit for free accounts and then my thoughts connect that with living below the poverty level on Social Security Disability. Am looking at the Flickr Pro fee of $49.99 per year which doesn't sound like much until connecting with that I get $1001 a month SSD, which sounds pretty reasonable until one looks at the Federal Poverty level guidelines and sees the the poverty level income for a household of one is $12,140 a year and I get $12,012 a year.
Yes, there is a discount on Pro right now, for right now.
But what about the long term?
Is there some manner by which we might meet halfway?
(Hmm, it said error submitting message please try again, so here goes again. I would not be surprised if all the ad blockers, script blockers, and GIF blockers, I use to make the web usable for me what with having autism and several other things had something to do with that error. God I hate those blinky flashy GIF, they are truly the spawn of Hades.)"

Their response is;

Thank you for contacting Flickr Support. My name is Tiffany and I would be happy to assist you today.

At this time, the only discount we are offering is the 30% off for new Pro subscribers. This offer will only be valid until the end of November.

If you’re unable at the moment to pay for a full year of Flickr Pro but want to make sure all your photos are safe, you have the option to pay monthly at $5.99 per month and upgrade to an annual plan when it is convenient for you.

Please feel free to reach back out to us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Well this must be the way of the world it seems. For a reasonable price I think I would pay. Also with HS now allowing direct upload, it has taken away much of what I would have had to put there.

I am only on Flickr after PB did their silliness. At the moment I do not have anywhere close to that number of pictures on there so for now I am okay but who knows in the future. I guess I will burn that bridge when I get to it.

Edited by skyhawk174

Well, this sucks!  I used to do Photobucket, then got on Flickr a while back, but just in the last couple years really got into it.  I'm just shy of 1,000 pictures.  That price is just way too high for me to justify.  Not sure what I will do moving forward. 

David

While I would agree that businesses need to make money, I don't like the business model of tempting users in with what are essentially free unlimited accounts and then at some later time springing a substantial fee on them. Like southwestforests, many people, including myself, are on fixed incomes either from Social Security or Disability. Its not a lot of money and we haven't gotten a significant cost of living increase in ages. Fortunately, I don't have many pics up there. Never have been one who had a need to post pics online till recently. I am more than safe for a long time, but I feel for those who want or need to have a large number of pics online.

Would be nice if they had a special fee for those over 65 or who are disabled. Don't know how one would prove that to them, but that's a different discussion.

I bit the bullet and have gone Flickr Pro. It works out to about a dollar a week, for the first year. Even though I'm now retired, I can afford that. My pension and retirement funds were set up fairly well.

Chris