I saw this movie recently, about the black minoritets who flew a superior team against all odds

I have this 1/32 Trumpeter Mustang in waiting position.. 

My question is : The Mustangs all seem to be well kept and clean, was that just movie or the truth?

I might try to build one of these.. Absolutely the word. TRY

Jesper

In general P-51's were pretty clean in the ETO.  The only time they really kind of got nasty was in the winter of 44 when a good number of them were based in Belgium to help support allied efforts during the Battle of the Bulge.  For the most part you'd just see some exhaust staining, a few minor oil streaks and a little bit of grime around the gun bay doors. 

People tend to waaaaay over weather ETO aircraft in general. 

The movie was entertainment, with an all too true message.

The Tuskegee Airmen, An Illustrated History: 1939-1949 does have a picture on page 111 with the caption "Competition was intense among crew chiefs of the 332nd Fighter Group in Italy. Here Staff Sergeant William Accoo of Salem, N.H., washes his plane with soap and water. Next he will wax it. Note his reflection on the side of the P-51. September 1944". Don't know how much of this was for the photographer.

Online sources of include http://tuskegeeairmen.org/ and  https://www.redtail.org/. I'm sure others will post additional information.

22 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

People tend to waaaaay over weather ETO aircraft in general. 

Yes this is what i think too..

It is a easy way to hide small misstakes, and actually it is okay.. But for true scale it is wrong offcourse 🙂

I see both the early model with the buildinn canopy, and later model with bubblecanopy..

It seems that it was only the first model  wich had red tailpaint-- Just thougts!!

Damn i learn a lot from all of you guys here

Thank you all for that :salute:

And sorry for my english

Jesper

34 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

The Tuskegee Airmen, An Illustrated History: 1939-1949 does have a picture on page 111 with the caption "Competition was intense among crew chiefs of the 332nd Fighter Group in Italy. Here Staff Sergeant William Accoo of Salem, N.H., washes his plane with soap and water. Next he will wax it. Note his reflection on the side of the P-51. September 1944". Don't know how much of this was for the photographer.

Online sources of include http://tuskegeeairmen.org/ and  https://www.redtail.org/. I'm sure others will post additional information.

And i thank you allso, it is pretty exciting to explore.. And learn.. 

Much to dig in, before i start my build

Jesper

6 minutes ago, freshnewstart said:

Yes this is what i think too..

It is a easy way to hide small misstakes, and actually it is okay.. But for true scale it is wrong offcourse 🙂

I see both the early model with the buildinn canopy, and later model with bubblecanopy..

It seems that it was only the first model  wich had red tailpaint-- Just thougts!!

Damn i learn a lot from all of you guys here

Thank you all for that :salute:

And sorry for my english

Jesper

Your english is fine, don't worry about it. 

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The 332nd FS flew both the P-51B/C (your built-in canopy) and the P-51D (bubbletop).  Of course, they flew other fighter aircraft types but the movie made them famous with the Mustang.

Thank you 🙂

My task will then be to find a specific D in the 332nd , and try to replicate it.

This should be a fun hunt i believe. Starting in our librarysystem

Jesper

Unless there is some error in the markings that I don't know about, you could use the Airfix 1/72 instructions and box art as a guide.

They released a new tool 1/72 P-51D recently.

If there are no errors, that would be a fairly cheap way to get a reference. I buy 1/48 or 1/32 scale decal sheets all the time, just to get the instructions for my 1/72 models, sometimes it is cheaper than buying a book.

And 1/32 scale aircraft data sheets and decals are a great way to figure "what goes where" when we have to dig out stencils from multiple sources in 1/72, since they are bigger, they often include more of the tiny bits than the 1/72 scale kits include.

Edited by Rex

Hi freshnewstarter,

You should be able to find numerous info of Redtails P-51D from net. Like you, I was inspired after watching the movie and that gets me searching for info on the Redtails. As I only built 1/144 scale it took quite a while to find one. Fortunately the LHS brought in a Hobby Model kit and so began my work on building it into a Redtail. This one depicts the P-51D flown by Capt Roscoe Brown, CO 100 Fighter Squadron, 332 Fighter Group in Ramitelli, Italy in 1943. There are several other famous pilots who were honoured too e.g. No10 "Lollipop II" 1Lt Spurgeon Neal Ellington of the same Squadron.

The names of pilots and aircraft codes depicted in the movie are fictitious as I understand it. Any corrections are most welcome. P-51D has been one of my WWII favourites and I am glad to be able to build one.

Hope you will be able to find the one of your choice. 

Regards

S K Loh

DSCF2569 edited 2.jpg

DSCF2570 edited 2.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, dnl42 said:

There is a much better movie out there that was released about 22 years ago.....

16938368_1300x1733.jpg

Edited by Johnopfor
On 11/3/2018 at 9:40 AM, S K Loh said:

Hi freshnewstarter,

You should be able to find numerous info of Redtails P-51D from net. Like you, I was inspired after watching the movie and that gets me searching for info on the Redtails. As I only built 1/144 scale it took quite a while to find one. Fortunately the LHS brought in a Hobby Model kit and so began my work on building it into a Redtail. This one depicts the P-51D flown by Capt Roscoe Brown, CO 100 Fighter Squadron, 332 Fighter Group in Ramitelli, Italy in 1943. There are several other famous pilots who were honoured too e.g. No10 "Lollipop II" 1Lt Spurgeon Neal Ellington of the same Squadron.

The names of pilots and aircraft codes depicted in the movie are fictitious as I understand it. Any corrections are most welcome. P-51D has been one of my WWII favourites and I am glad to be able to build one.

Hope you will be able to find the one of your choice. 

Regards

S K Loh

DSCF2569 edited 2.jpg

DSCF2570 edited 2.jpg

Oh what a fine little gem you made 🙂

Thank you for sharing.. 

This tread and modelling has long terms we all know..

I build up knowledge to "attack" and thank you also for info :salute:

Jesper