Air compressor question...

Hey folks,

been away from the modeling bench for a spell, but getting back to it, and looking at some compressors as the harbor freight one I had bit the dust many moons ago.

Currently, I'm eyeballing the Iwata Ninja jet, but I hear it only puts out up to 15psi. Now it's been a minute since I've airbrushed, and cannot recall which settings I used the most at which ranges (yeah, its been that long...); so what PSI range do most of ya'll airbrush at? and will the ninja cut it? 

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Justin

What do you want to do with it?  

I multitask with mine, as I wanted to be able to not just "hobby airbrush" but also use it as a general purpose home/garage compressor.

I picked up one of these. https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-5510A-Compressor/dp/B01G75OULG  

It works superbly (in my view) as a hobby compressor, and quite nicely as the all around compressor, even running a framing nailer in a pinch!

It is light weight, making it easy to carry up and down steps.

The tank does buffer the airflow, so there isn't any pulsing, while I am brushing.

and most importantly to me, super quiet for my use!

Pressure wise, I shoot as low as 10psi, but have brushed as high as 35psi.  it truly depends on paint, thinner, desired effects etc.  

Right now I'm just looking to use my airbrush with it. I have this huge assortment of paint, so I'd rather not fork out anything else for spray cans; I have air tools, but I don't need to use them for the time being, I'm more just interested in finding a more affordable way of getting back into airbrushing. And I can't remember what pressures I used normally a while back; its probably been close to 6 years since I airbrushed last. 

1 hour ago, Skyraider Maniac said:

Right now I'm just looking to use my airbrush with it. I have this huge assortment of paint, so I'd rather not fork out anything else for spray cans; I have air tools, but I don't need to use them for the time being, I'm more just interested in finding a more affordable way of getting back into airbrushing. And I can't remember what pressures I used normally a while back; its probably been close to 6 years since I airbrushed last. 

indeed.  the 40% coupon at hobby lobby does make products there enticing.  I would steer clear of these types of compressors though.  

I have an Iwata-Medea Studio Series Power Jet Lite compressor. Double piston, single airbrush hookup; it apparently goes up to 70psi. I added quick-connect air fittings for my two airbrushes and bolted a double brush hanger to the case. It's a wonderful setup. Very quiet, especially compared to a tool compressor. Doesn't have a tank, but I usually spray at 12-15 psi, and the duty cycle is maybe 20-25%.

iwata-rig.jpg

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I have an Iwata-Medea Studio Series Power Jet Lite compressor. Double piston, single airbrush hookup; it apparently goes up to 70psi. I added quick-connect air fittings for my two airbrushes and bolted a double brush hanger to the case. It's a wonderful setup. Very quiet, especially compared to a tool compressor. Doesn't have a tank, but I usually spray at 12-15 psi, and the duty cycle is maybe 20-25%.

I've got the Power Jet Pro version with two hookups. Best modeling purchase I've ever made next to my H&S Infinity airbrush. Its quiet and pumps plenty of air and has a tank. And its reliable. Not cheap though, but the one I had previously was one of those cheap off brand models from China or somewhere and it lasted about two years and then gave up the ghost. The Iwata is going on 8 years now.

Edited by Mstor