After A Very Bad Week, Some Good News

After spending the last four days in the hospital with a painful kidney infection and stones, last time I had them was in the 90s and morphine or fentanyl still barely dulls it. So, after sitting around bored, burning up my data plan and getting my speed chocked back to the days of dial-up, I get told that the infection was clearing up but I now am diabetic. Wonderful, let's add that to a ruined back, memory loss due to a couple of TIA's or mini-strokes and very high BP my week now officially sucked.

Coming home today I found that most of my boxes containing kits, supplies, and books were now in my soon to be office. I was happy to see that after spending an hour or so going through all my paints of various brands and types from solvent-based enamels to cheap squeeze bottle craft paint. Test a few here and there randomly I was happy to see that despite being untouched for 4-10 years I lost very few colors and those that I did lose were still the ones still in production. Sadly I did lose over half of my Pactra Authentic Colors that I purchased in the very late 1980's, I had hoped that they would still be good but then again, nothing lasts forever. Happily, my Humbrol and sealed Poly Scale and Floquil railroad colors are still useable, the Floquil still has that unique stink, as my wife says. 

I won't be able to start building just yet, the room needs to be painted, the rug steam cleaned, the girl that had the room before she moved into the garage is a bigger slob than I am, shelves installed and furniture installed. My daughter just brought in my "No Hookers' sign that one of the local county supervisors had printed to let the girls working the streets back then as if they would go somewhere else. That start date in January is looking good at the moment, once I have the chance I'll start posting pics of my progress. 

Aw man, you've been through some rough stuff.

Pactra had some nice colors and their prismatic quarter floz bottles were aesthetically pleasing. I miss Polly Scale. Fortunately for the railroad modelers there are a couple companies already offering and some beginning to offer alternatives. Testors itself has released some colors in its Acryl line. There are a few of Polly Scale's 1980s fantasy colors I'd like to have again, oh well, such is life.

How much do kidney stones hurt eh!  Had one about 15yrs ago while in Costa Rica for work.  Woke up in the middle of the night in amazing pain, pacing around the hotel room sweating like a pig.  Rang the hotel Dr who said "don't worry, it's just a gastro bug" - the fool.  Thankfully I pissed it out after about 3hrs, was only the size of a sesame seed, but damn it hurt.  Just as well I never ended up in a hospital there, probably would have sold my kidney on the black market 😉