recommended alternatives/ aftermarket stuff?

Hi guys,

I planning to build my Revell 1.72 Stearmans into a Model 73 and 76D; inasmuch as the engine, and more so the cowling and the blisters are the challenge ( and pretty hard to scratchbuild considering the angle), can anyone point to me the way to aftermarket or other aircraft with cowlings ( and  individual blisters or cowlings with blisters which is a long shot) similar to the 73 and 76D? Thanks!

I don't know of anything specifically made for your needs.  If I were you, I would look through the aftermarket selection at Hannants and see if there is anything for other type aircraft with similar cowlings.

If I were you I would look carefully at kits like the 1/72 Airfix/MPC and Heller Arado Ar-196 and Henschel Hs-123 and think about purchasing one of these kits to use the cowling/engine as a starting place.  You may have to modify and resin cast several copies for your project.

Look at every round object in your house.  Is anything of the correct diameter that could be sliced to make the circular cowling?  Think outside the box.  Go to a craft store and look at stick on rhinestones for cowling bumps.  (You might even look at your wife's clothing and see if you could strategically remove a few decorations that would work.) In this scale, even two layers of tape cut to the right shape and painted with several layers of paint may be enough to represent the bumps.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

C2j

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, Cubs2jets said:

I don't know of anything specifically made for your needs.  If I were you, I would look through the aftermarket selection at Hannants and see if there is anything for other type aircraft with similar cowlings.

If I were you I would look carefully at kits like the 1/72 Airfix/MPC and Heller Arado Ar-196 and Henschel Hs-123 and think about purchasing one of these kits to use the cowling/engine as a starting place.  You may have to modify and resin cast several copies for your project.

Look at every round object in your house.  Is anything of the correct diameter that could be sliced to make the circular cowling?  Think outside the box.  Go to a craft store and look at stick on rhinestones for cowling bumps.  (You might even look at your wife's clothing and see if you could strategically remove a few decorations that would work.) In this scale, even two layers of tape cut to the right shape and painted with several layers of paint may be enough to represent the bumps.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

C2j

Thank you very much for your reply! Moreso the aircraft potentially close to the size of the stearman engine; I had searched Hannants and elsewhere for cowlings but most if not all did not fit the bill of requirements; and yes thinking out of the box does make a lot of leeway for me; in relation to the idea of an aircraft, I saw a stinson reliant - do you think it would do ? except for the oversized blisters and at-first-glace- look of an apparently large cowling.... Thanks again!