Tomcat 14” squat function.

Hopefully there are a few Turkey drivers out there that can answer my question.

After compressing the nose wheel strut to get the launch bar into the shuttle, at some point, is the nose strut switch set to Extend prior to launch?

Thanks,

Tracy

So, the launch is with the switch in the kneel position, and the nose strut extends normally due to weight off wheels for normal retraction.

There should be something in a checklist to ensure it’s in the extend position prior to landing?

There is a reason I’m asking about this function. 😉

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
16 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

So, the launch is with the switch in the kneel position, and the nose strut extends normally due to weight off wheels for normal retraction.

There should be something in a checklist to ensure it’s in the extend position prior to landing?

There is a reason I’m asking about this function. 😉

Tracy

The switch is spring loaded and when not being held in the position desired it will be in the "off" position, the pilot has to hold the switch in the "Kneel" or "Extend" position until the plane is either in kneel or extend.

When the switch is placed in Kneel, it will allow all hydraulic fluid to be bleed from the strut, thus allowing the strut to be lowered. When placed in extend, it will allow hydraulic fluid to be pumped into the strut, thus extending the strut.

When the plane is launched, the nose strut will extend since there is no weight on it. The weight off wheels switch is activated (located on the starboard MLG) after take off which will activated the hydraulic control valve in the nose strut which allows hydraulic fluid to be pumped into the strut so that when the plane lands it won't have a "soft" strut and the plane doesn't do the roll out in kneel*.

* This has happened from time to time due to the control valve failing, it's not a smooth ride and the plane has a hard time taxing (the nose gear can only deflect 10 degrees while in kneel). When this happens, we usually (99% of the time) had to take a tractor and go tow the bird off the end of the runway and back to the line.

hth

10 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

Thanx! That'll help when I start flying Heatblur's new F-14A/B in DCS. 🙂

That game is totally unplayable!!!😂😂😂😂

The Phoenix's are missing the aft MOAT Antenna and Electrolite Drain Tube and everyone know's that you can't go into burner on the cat in a Bravo or Delta! Yep, totally unplayable. 😂😂😂😂