1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

And so it begins.  This will be my first real attempt, top to bottom, to recreate a RF-4C to the best of my ability. Lots of research and after market items bought to make it right.  

I am making this Revell RF-4C Phantom II for a pilot named Bill Bouldin how flew out of Udorn during 1972-73 with the 14 TRS.

The line up of after aftermarket effort is the longest I have compiled ever:

AMS Resin RF-4 Photo-flash Dispensers

GT Resin RF-4C Resin Cockpit Set

GT Resin ALQ-101V(1) ECM Pod

GT Resin ALQ-71 ECM Pod (for F-4 Phantom II)

Scale Aircraft Conversions - Phantom II Landing Gear

Full House Paint masks for McDonnell RF-4B/RF-4C

Exhaust nozzles for EARLY McDonnell RF-4C Phantom.

Late weighted Wheels for McDonnell RF-4C

F.O.D. Version II. With DECALS McDonnell RF-4C

Auxiliary Air Intake and the Door for McDonnell RF-4C

-Decals - McDonnell F-4C Phantom II in Viet Nam war Part 1 F-4C 64-0829 20/05/1967 8th Tactical Fighter Wing; 2. RF-4C 69-0349 Udorn. Thailand 1973. 14 TRS

-Custom Decals donated to me by TonyT as he had worked a Phantom in the same squadron.  Thank you very much Tony!!

-Various Instrument and placard decals from AirScale

-Decals - Speed Hunter Graphics Big Scale Early Phantom Stencils for the RF-4C

-Detail and Scale VOL. 43, RF-4C Phantom II

IMG-9956.jpg

I suspect this build will take many months as my real life is sure to interject.  Plus, I want very much to take all that I have learned and put it into this aircraft.  If it all works out I will not want to give it up upon completion. 

If you have any information or input I would be glad to hear it.  The amount of experience on this site is vast and daunting. 

Updated 11/1/2018

A lot of work over the last couple days.  Modifying the base kit for the resin additions, test fitting, more research, building fuel tanks, mixing paints and primers and general build order planning.  Looking at wheel well wiring (Say that fast three times) and other wiring details to make sure I have a plan, has been time consuming.

This is the first kit that I am planning to cut up as much as I am.  While its nothing when compared to many of the incredible kit makers here, its giving me a lot of confidence. I predict a whole lot more kit destruction/building as its adding a whole new dimension of fun to me.  I have learned much by looking at the many incredible builds and builders on this site.  I will be forever thankful for those that have taken the time to answer my questions and endure my persistence.

Focus on the cockpit modifications has gone fairly well up to this point. I am really excited about the detail and accuracy of the work space.

RF-4-C-Cock-Pit-Mod1.jpg

IMG-9971.jpg

Regardless of what you see in the picture, I have no intention of including the Sherman Tank tracks or the M4 Mortar Carrier frame in the current Phantom build.  Although, that's not to say I haven't done some test fitting.   :hmmm:

Looks like a piece is missing from the kit. I will have to look at making the piece.  Another first.   :frantic:

Missing.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been doing a lot of work on the Camera's.  I found some other build threads and online photo's to reference.  The more I learned the more I realized I needed all kinds of stock plastic rod and such.  Order for said items placed but I am going with the current plan as I wont be exposing the camera bay.  The most detailed camera will be the forward camera as it will be most visible based of some test fittings.  Should I find otherwise I will adjust. 

I used an eclectic set of items to make the camera rings as I had no other options at this point.  The camera rings are combination of a cut up 1/35th 75mm German cannon, old plastic piper for the inner ring and a small bead for the inner lens and electrical hook ups.  I will be running rudimentary electrical lines from the cameras up in to the camera bay.  I am using copper wire as seen in the picture below.  I am still experimenting with lenses.  What you see now are a mix of actual plastic lenses from other kits and Micro Kristal Clear.  Micro is looking to be the early winner and all camera lenses will probably be switched over.  The film reel supports are cut up photoetched brass from other kits.  I will have to go back and hit some seams.

IMG-0019.jpg

Cockpit parts ready to be primered. 

IMG-0025.jpg

The 600 gallon tank is waiting to be sanded.  Everything else is filled sanded and ready for primer.

IMG-0020.jpg

Ailerons cut out of the main wing to be slightly lowered as the Phantom will be parked.  Flap and wing ends filled and sanded with finishing touches on the way.

IMG-0024.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Auxiliary air intakes cut out, with some minor adjustments.  

IMG-0026.jpg

And getting ready to scribe the Photo-flash dispenser lines and doors.

IMG-0027.jpg

I have caught the modification bug.  I have bought riveters, plastic stock cutters, plastic stock, etc.  I am beginning to believe I can make many of the things I want in a model.  If it all works out I will see about adding the radar to this kit and will proceed as such.

Soooooooooo much prep work.  I have never had the opportunity nor the wherewithal to apply this kind of attention to a model.  I am really excited about the potential of this model.  Since I have come to this site I have leaped in all aspects of modeling due to all the excellent builders here.. 

More fuselage adjustments to make room for resin aftermarket items.

IMG-0068.jpg

Resin exhaust prepped, test fitted and researched.  I have a ton of Alclad and for the exhaust sections of this aircraft.  I have been doing a ton research on the exhaust itself and the application of Alclad.  I will do some test shots on my test airbrush plane.  I will really have to focus on the hues, hell everything actually.....

IMG-0065.jpg

The ALQ-71 Short (after I put in the missing antenna's) and ALQ-101are ready for primer.  I haven't heard back from the pilot of this aircraft to determine which nose he used on the short.  So I will prep both.

IMG-0067.jpg

All the extra resin that hasn't already been prepped is now ready.

IMG-E0073.jpg

Well it was an adventure this weekend to say the least.  I certainly hope anyone that was celebrating Thanksgiving had a grand time.  

All the parts that had been prepped are now primed with Mr Surfacer 1200.  I live in Alaska and don't really have an indoor spray booth.  That's not going to happen in the current residence as we are getting ready to install flooring and get the house on the market in preparation for a move early next year.  I had to spray in my heated garage while providing adequate ventilation.  It was a balance and as I was able to use the indoor heaters, fans and a lucky first time mix ratio to get a great primer coating on all the resin and some fuel tanks.  You may notice that an exhaust jet to my J79 is missing in this picture......there was a mystery menace about the house....

IMG-0115.jpg

A couple days past after the garage priming episode and I noticed  when I checked on how things had dried that I was missing an exhaust jet.  I knew it was in my possession after I had ran it in some warm water to get the dust from cutting and any oil off.  I placed it on a drying board with many other parts.  Turns out a day after I though it lost my daughter comes down stairs saying the dog had been chewing on something she didn't recognize.  Here it is prior to any repair work.  Luckly it will be buried deep in the plane and will not be a burden on the eye...:mellow:

IMG-0123.jpg

I fixed the tail intake at the base of the vertical stabilizer as I had noticed in other builds this was corrected.  I was able to confirm in subsequent research that it needed altering.  So the original rendition was removed and I put in a extra piece of photo-etched.  Unfortunately, this alteration was a little short and will have to be replaced.

IMG-0116.jpg

I started working on the rear cockpit and had to make some changes overall.  This is part of the GT Resin cockpit with the instrumentation on either end removed and replaced with the Eduard instrumentation. Everything in between is "stock"  and is still under construction. 

IMG-0148.jpg

This is also part of the GT Resin Cockpit, rear upper instrumentation panel.  There is no Eduard at all. The instrumentation is Airscale decals, placards custom made.  The problem came when I realized that while I had many of the right instrumentation decals, they were not the right size.  I tried making some on my computer but had many issues.  Given some time, I will be able to work it out.  I spent much time trying to make things fit, or trim down micro decals.  I won a few and lost a few.  My research and parts lined up to allowed me to do the instrumentation in the right order and placement for a RF-4C in this case. That will end here, as things will have to be adjusted as I move forward.  It will be close, but not exact.

IMG-0149.jpg

Here are all the instrument panels that I worked on over the last two days.  Placed to give an overall look at where it is all headed.  By in large, I am pleased but also know I have lots of work to do. 

IMG-0142.jpg

Lesson learned....I will have to dig deeper as I didn't perform enough research, purchase books and so on to get the full picture of the possibilities.  That is, if my goal is exact replication....I have a vast learning curve in tools, techniques, capabilities and information sources. 

Had to spend some time doing a little earthquake recovery work around the house and of course work had me going pretty good.  It was a relief to get home for some plastic therapy. 

I finally spent some time to plan and execute cutting the holes in the fuselage for the photo flash dispensers.  It helped that my early Christmas present got to me.  I ordered a new micro saw and made a flexible ruler to scribe and cut.  I made a few mistakes as I got impatient after a few light cuts.  Otherwise, it was a decent go.  I will have to re-scribe proper panels in the area around the dispensers.  I will have to also add the additional panel hiding the antenna in the vertical stabilizer.

IMG-0185.jpg

A lot of time was spent working on the cockpit minutia making minor advances over time.  I worked on studying the seats while working on the cockpit area as I started making the seats come to life.

IMG-0237.jpg

IMG-0240.jpg

IMG-0246.jpg

I hope everyone had a awesome Christmas.  My wife bought me an Iwata HP-CS as my Passache's are getting pretty old but still reliable.  I cant wait to give this baby a go.  I am talking about the airbrush.  :coolio:

IMG-0395.jpg

I have been very focused on the MK7 Ejection Seats.  Paging through the referenced and versions I finally settled on the these: 

SeatLeft.jpg

Seat-Right.jpg

I have been spending the last week or so making extra bits out of copper wire, fishing line (10LB), extra photo etched sprues, and some parts from ReedOak.  My eyes are blurry and I have literally been dreaming about Martin Baker ejection seat variants.  I am still not done but am eager to show you my progress.  The seat on the left is the "stock" seat prior to all my custom bits provided as a comparison.  I do need a real camera as my phone camera is failing to catch the detail. 

IMG-0397.jpg

IMG-0398.jpg

IMG-0399.jpg

IMG-0400.jpg

I have been learning a I go.  I have found that knowing what medium to use at a given time is commonsense only once a few mistakes are made.  Copper and or lead wire doesn't take to curves as natural as monofilament does, but monfilament doesn't like tight curves an creates a great amount of tension when trying to make tight turns.  Therefore compromise must be achieved as progress is made.  The picture below is supposed to be the same wire that goes across the back of the seat.  I used two different materials as I discovered fishing line more pliable. 

IMG-0377.jpg

IMG-0400-2.jpg

Off to eat some Prime Rib.....

Edited by SapperSix
On 12/30/2018 at 12:52 AM, agelos2005 said:

Excellent work so far

I see the finish on the resin part is a bit rough or am I wrong?

Some of the resin was defiantly a little rough.  The poor camera makes it look worse than it is.  Having said that, some fill and repair work was needed.  Still, the resin is far more detailed than the kit parts.  This is my first resin cockpit.  While it can be significant work, I like it much better than stock as it compares to this kit. 

Edited by SapperSix
On 12/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, ViperZero said:

Great job on this Phantom so far!  Keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Viper.  Its been a ton of fun and a real challenge.

5 hours ago, Rodney said:

Looking good so far!

Rodney

Thank you Rodney.  So far the model has really cooperated.  Hopefully the smooth sailing will continue.

-Frank

I am trying to get the wiring configuration for the whole of the Cockpit for an RF-4C.   I know some of it wont be seen, but I am using the whole of the operation to practice wiring as discipline. 

This a close up of some of the wiring I have been doing.  All of it can be replaced/rerouted upon verification of the real thing.  Or, I can leave it depending on whats discovered. 

IMG-0453.jpg

IMG-0454.jpg

Any wiring information will be much appreciated.

-Frank

Edited by SapperSix

Lots and lots of detail work.  Wiring has certainly been the focus.  I have been looking at everything wiring.  And when it comes to the phantom it has a few wires.  The cockpit wiring has been created and some installed.  Some wiring from the pictures below will be ripped out and replaced as information has presented other, more realistic, options.  I am waiting on getting a smaller drill set.  Much of the wiring on the back deck comes in from the fuselage.  The design of the GT Resin Cockpit requires that after I install it in to the fuselage then run the wiring coming in from the vertical portion of the back deck.  Also the WSO instrument panel will have to be permanently affixed prior to additional wiring.  So it will be a multi stage process to complete the cockpit as a whole.  I started making harnesses and installing as sets and ran in to some problems.  I eventually stared running each wire individually.  I have made plans for all of the landing gear bays and of course the landing gear.   

Below is where I am now.  Actually its time to take a break from the cockpit detail work and move back to the camera's.  I plan to do some wiring and install the cameras in to their cradles in the coming week.  Once I have done that I can think about installing them in to the fuselage along with the cockpit.  I will need to work out the cockpit side panels as they dont seem to fit the cockpit in a intuitive way.  I have been trying to make sense of the cockpit side panels by dry fitting them with little luck to this point.

I have yet to install some detail on the ejection seats and in the cockpit in the interest of simplifying future construction.  And hopefully increasing the survival probability of the more fragile bits. 

IMG-0494.jpg

IMG-0495.jpg

IMG-0499.jpg

IMG-0500.jpg

IMG-0501.jpg

As usual I appreciate any and all input. I do need to make note to the many that have offered me information during this build.  I do very much appreciate it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally putting together a few of the sub assembly's in to the fuselage.  The Camera's were eventually left to be good enough as I kept learning and gaining ability to make them better, soon they were good enough.  They were not going to be exposed so further detail and enhancement was not going to give any returns just skills.  All the wiring and detail wont be seen but I learned a lot about modifying stock parts and and have become way more confident.  I had to fight the camera structures to make them fit so that they were aligned with the view windows.  In the end they lined up pretty well.

IMG-0582.jpg

IMG-0583.jpg

IMG-0626.jpg

IMG-0628.jpg

This is the front wheel bay wiring/hydraulic lines.  A little bit of custom parts created from the plastic card stock.  I used both an aluminum and copper tape to tryout creating conduit joints.  They both worked pretty well and were easily formed and cut to make whatever form was need.  Just about to primer. 

IMG-0639.jpg

I put some time in to test fitting the cockpit and front instrument panel.  Had to create a new base for the front instrument panel and work on positioning and fit.  I hope to have that installed by the end of the weekend.  We will see...

IMG-0625.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of work over the course of the last couple days.  I was away for a bit and missed my workbench dearly.  Clearly I am addicted.  :D

Lots of attention to the forward fuselage and cockpit.  The cockpit is secured with the side instrumentation fitted and glued.  I will take some close ups when I am done with all the extra wiring.   I glued and filled the lower section, front landing gear bay,  of the forward fuselage.   It was a bit of  challenge and required a fair amount gap filling.  I am finally to the finer points of smoothing and re scribing. 

IMG-0739.jpg

When the lower was fitted it was clear that the upper cockpit section wasn't going to align well with the lower.  While there wasn't much of a gap, the plastic couldn't be affixed so that both sides were level.  So there was much more putty and sanding than I had hoped.

The front landing gear bay itself fit very well to the lower fuselage section and required little attention after gluing. 

IMG-0740.jpg

IMG-0741.jpg

The auxiliary air intakes had a lot of metallic experimentation done on them and came out well.  The camera isn't doing them justice, rather my inability to take proper photo's.

IMG-0648.jpg

The aux air intakes were fitted with the red "boarders" cut from bulk plastic, edges filled and painted red.  Out of shear luck, the doors that came with the aux air intakes match up to the modifications wonderfully.   I did a ton of wiring to the bay of the main landing gear after I did the aux intake work.  Pictures upon completion.

IMG-0676.jpg

IMG-0680.jpg

Lots of parts painted red.  A second coat awaits some parts.

IMG-0738.jpg

The red tail of the 14TRS and the photo flare box received their first coat of red.

IMG-0742.jpg

I also started the detailing of the landing gear, pylons and the ECM pods.   She is starting to take shape.   

• 2 months later...

Lots of busy work, correction and receipt of a great reference.  The reference being "The Modern Phantom Guide".  I wish I would have had it to begin with.  Pretty awesome book!

The tail was identified as being too sharp.  I almost overlooked it and had to make a correction despite having already painted it.  Ended up pretty happy with the change.

IMG-0763.jpg

I traded for this kit.   I think it might be the same kit run two different times or from another version.  Different colored plastic and some misaligned body lines are the clues, maybe I am wrong.  There is going to be a fair amount of re scribbing. If I pushed it all the way back to line up the intakes would have had a pretty good gap.  So I chose to re-scribe.

IMG-0762.jpg

There was some decent gaps between the fuselage and the wings.

IMG-0761.jpg

I used some plastic stock to cut some gap filling strips and make sure it had strength to secure the wings properly.  I have since filled both sides as it worked out pretty well. 

IMG-0766.jpg

I began detailing the landing gear.  References in this case have been very helpful.  Many modifications learned for the next Phantom.

IMG-0783.jpg

The ALQ-71 F-4 Short Tail is all put together awaiting a good coat of primer.

IMG-0795.jpg

And lastly the Vertical portion of the back deck is smoothed out.  Ready to have wiring drilled through it....

IMG-0798.jpg