1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

Lots of work has been done on this Phantom since the last time I checked in.  It's really close to a wrap.  Last of many goals with this model is to give my photography a leg up.  Once I get the right step ladder built and other adjustments, I will put up some proper photographs.  This model has been a real learning experience to say the least.  So many things that need changed now that I know better.  Another Phantom build on another day to implement all that I have learned with this build.

IMG-2682.jpg

The modification of including/creating the canopy deck on this Revell kit, means the crew ladder is not going to be close to a proper fit.  A good friend from Germany has sent me a Tamiya ladder to fix this issue.

IMG-4680.jpg

IMG-E4667.jpgIMG-E4668.jpgIMG-E4669.jpgIMG-E4670.jpg

IMG-2701.jpg

17 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Your Phantom is incredible!

Thank you very much.  It has been a challenge and a ton of people helped on the way.  I would do sooooo many things different if I did it over again.  Tons of learning to be sure.

14 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

That certainly is incredible!   Weathering is superb! 

Thank you kindly.  I have studied many, many photo's and tried very hard to replicate a tired war bird.  Along the way many maintenance folks have helped me with this model. 

4 hours ago, SapperSix said:

Thank you very much.  It has been a challenge and a ton of people helped on the way.  I would do sooooo many things different if I did it over again.  Tons of learning to be sure.

That's the trick. Learning better techniques for the next project. Again, great job. 

• 4 months later...

The crew ladder you have is correct but you need to add an L shaped bracket that would hook over the canopy sill to keep it in place. FYI  the "rivets in the tail section with the big washers were actually phillips head screws with dimple washers. There are two actuating arms on the photo flash doors on the forward side that opened and closed them. Revell also got the tail fin cap wrong as it is too tall and there is a triangular window (think Toblerone) under the side looking cameras. The 2 side looking cameras were called the "tri met system" and the KA-56 camera would look through the triangular window.

The right hand console in the rear cockpit is totally wrong but you would have to make your own since nobody makes one. I was told the 3d cockpit boys are going to release one in September so we'll see if they can do one right.  The 14th Squadron also had a white Playboy Bunny on the left vari-ramp only.

I was a snot nosed 19 year old  camera troop at Udorn 1969-1970 432nd AMS. I worked in the phase dock and because I was so skinny they would get me in the tail section to hold a wrench on the nuts of those phillips head screws I mentioned earlier.

You did a splendid job on this bird. having worked on them for 10 years I can spot a few mistakes but the details you spent so much time on really make this (yours) really stand out. Great job!! Don't be afraid to start another one!!

Ron

• 2 weeks later...