Weathering and washes

Helo Folks,

I live in Guatemala and it's hard to get stuff here. After you paint your model then give it a coat of clear do you need to wait 24 hrs. 

or can you add panel line and washes when the clear coat is dry to the touch?  I can't get turpentine here, and was wondering if diesel would work to remove the wash and panel line excess?

please advise

bob

Edited by crashcup
forgot something

I don't know what you are using for the clear coat, but I think it is always a good idea to let it dry for at least 24 hours before starting any washes. Especially if they are solvent based. I generally wait 48 hrs, sometimes longer, just to be sure. Don't want your washes reacting with the clear coat.

Diesel? That's an petroleum derivative more closely akin to a light oil. I wouldn't recommend it. Can you get Vallejo products and paints there? I believe they make a line of water-based washes and weathering products.

Mind you, I don't have any experience with Vallejo's washes. The Vallejo website has a listing of all the washes and other weathering products they make, along with all their paints. Here's a link:

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/categoria/hobby/

I find it curious that you cannot get turpentine in Guatemala. It is commonly available in artists supply stores for use with oil paints, which are very commonly used around the world. Have you checked artist supply stores?

Edited by Mstor