Visor or optivisor?

Hi

My 45 year old eyes get tired quicker now than they did 20 years ago... so I get headaches and eye fatigue when I model for too long.

Also, I model at night alot and I think I often need more light...

Anyone use an optivisor, or a magnifying lamp to do their modeling?   one recommended over the other?

Thanks

Optivisor, without question! I used to have a lighted magnifier, but it's too much of a PITA.

A #5 lens plate is my usual as it magnifies well and has a sufficient depth of field. I also have a #10 lens plate for higher magnification, but it has a very limited depth of field. Also good, parts are available to repair damage or any wear and tear.  I also have a Luxo desk lamp with a 100W-equivalent daylight LED bulb. The LED is great as it doesn't put out any heat, so I avoid burning myself.

I use an Optivisor all the time now. Tried the LED attachment but found it pretty useless. I have a corn-light LED bulb, about 300 watt equivalent, Daylight temp. That plus a few other lights is all the light I could use. The corn-light is called that because the LEDs are arranged in rows on a cylinder. They make some huge ones for Mogul bases that get up to the 500-800 watt equivalent. Designed for lighting outdoor areas. Needless to say, very bright.

Anyway, since having cataract surgery, I need to wear reading glasses and have to use the Optivisor to see up close enough to work on models. But it works out great. I have a magnifying lamp too, but never use the lens in it. Too awkward.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the optivisor and magnifying lamp long ago and hated both.  Discovered +250 

magnifying glasses and never looked back.  About $15 at Wally World.  However, if

you have to normally wear glasses the magnifiers may not work for you.

:cheers:

Jerry

On 11/21/2018 at 12:27 PM, k5ikl said:

Discovered +250 

magnifying glasses and never looked back.

Do you mean +2.50 glasses? 250 times magnification is almost enough to see bacteria.

The vision in my eyes is slightly different.  For model work, I went to a Costco type store and bought some very inexpensive reading glasses (same type frames - but with different magnifications).  I combined the lenses for each eye into one set of frames - custom glasses for very little cost.  Really helps with general modelling.  If I want super / close up - I just put the Opti Visor on over them, and have a much easier time seeing the detail work.  Even if you don't need reading glasses - try out a low power pair - you might be really surprised at the difference.

19 hours ago, Mstor said:

Do you mean +2.50 glasses? 250 times magnification is almost enough to see bacteria.

Yeah, I meant +2.50. I am no longer responsible for what my mind thinks and my fingers

might type.  :bandhead2:

• 3 months later...

I also raise my hand in favor of the Optivisor.  

I have a #4 lens plate on mine and it's perfect, no fatigue or weariness so far that I can recall, and I often will have 4-5 hour workbench sessions.  Admittedly, not ALL of those hours are spent with the Optivisor actually in use, but it's a significant portion of time nonetheless. I do not need prescription eyeglasses, only the cheapo drug store kind, usually 1.50-2.0 magnification

I've found that having non-optimized lighting is the primary factor in eye fatigue.  I need to get better and brighter lighting, both overhead and close range.  

• 4 weeks later...