I’m a pilot for AA so I get to see the colors up close. The official name of the color is silver mica. From a distance and on cloudy days it looks grey, but in bright sunlight it has a metallic look. There are metallic flakes evident in the paint when viewed in bright sunlight. The color is close to Boeing grey that the wings, engine pylons, and other parts are painted. To my eye aircraft grey is close. On a scale model the metallic sheen wouldn’t be noticed.  One of these days I’ll get around to trying to match the paint as I have a couple of sheets to use in the new livery. 

Photo I took today showing the contrast in greys. The forward section of the engine is the silver mica of the fuselage while the aft section is Boeing grey.  The far aft section tends to run darker from exhaust during reverser operation. Taken with my phone on a cloudy morning so not the best photo. 

BF6770-E8-0-C4-E-4-A46-BE34-66-CF419134-

I think the Tamiya silver mica is too silver. I had hoped to paint a few tests to compare with the real thing but didn’t have time before having to head out on my next trip. When I get back I’m going to try a few colors to see how they match up to the real thing. May take a week or so. 

12 hours ago, waltmert said:

I used Boeing grey on my entire AA 777-300 and I was very happy with the results

pics to follow!!!

walter

Boeing grey is too light as you can see from the picture of the engine cowl. The wings, landing gear, gear doors and engine pylons on most of the Boeing fleet are Boeing grey. The exception is the 787 where wings and pylons are white. The fuselage has more blue in the shade of grey than Boeing grey. 

well this is a nice bit of a coincidence. we just got an ex AAL 767 after the cargo conversion there was not much time for a complete repaint. but the touch ups were done with Boeing grey.  I took a few shots in different light to illustrate that it all changes based on the lighting.

20181112_133700-X2.jpg

20181112_133720-X2.jpg

20181112_135159-X2.jpg

The model is 1/144 Zvesda 777-300.

All painted Model Master Voodoo grey. Yes exactly, looks about right, which is perfectly close enough for me.

Decals are NAZCA.

I had a blast building that kit straight out of the box.

Walter

• 5 months later...

All the 757s definitely have it but I’ve never seen a 767 with it. I could be wrong, though. I think I’ve flow every one. 

Edit:  I should mention the coroguard is on the horizontal stabs, too.

Edited by Fly-n-hi