Building report about a Sikorsky S-64F Skycrane in scale 1:32, which can then fly

10 hours ago, Lupusprimus said:

Why is there always this stupid message "You are only allowed to upload 102.4kb." if I want to upload more pictures?
Can someone change that? Or what am I doing wrong?

It's a limitation of the forum.  The pics have to be either from a image hosting website, or really really light/lite/small/low density.

From the first foil parts and 3D printed parts a P(rototyp) 1 was created. The foil is only held together with adhesive tape Tesa, which is sufficient for this purpose. The cross beam is used to hold the weight. Here the installation of the mechanics is tried out. 3D printed main rotor blades and tail rotor were made here on left run. The central gearbox was printed for testing with a cheap printer.

s64f88.jpg

Edited by Lupusprimus

The mechanics used are components of the Blade 230S, in particular the AR636. The 70 mm gear is replaced by one of the blade 200 (60 mm). Because of the height of the central gear a longer rotor shaft is needed. The rotor head is 3D printed and already successfully used with CH-53 and SA 321 Super Frelon. The components are converted to a special variant of the multichassis for the 230S.

s64f161.jpg.eb86360a464bd198f1d9492f540bb191.jpg

s64f162.jpg.d994408d79d8bfde914540021637e16d.jpg

My goodness.  I look at these pictures of computer drawings and 3D printing whatnots and my mouth is just agape.  I feel like my 8 year old granddaughter looking into a 1/48 Tamiya F-14A box and going "Huh?"  This is a level of modeling I cannot grasp.  Amazing.  

Yes, a lot has developed over the last few years. But the important thing here are suppliers like Shapeways, who can achieve a surface quality in "smoothed" resin printing that cannot be achieved with simple devices.

s64f140.jpg.373fd0eb8ff27e34723ca705ada05636.jpg

Carbon rods of 2.5 mm are glued into the corners of the fuselage. This serves to reinforce the fuselage over its length. In the back a part looks out, there the rear part is glued. That's not otherwise necessary. But this is a relatively long AND narrow fuselage.

s64f150.jpg.c92ab8646a259319867d484773cf9d9b.jpg